When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Sat vaccine update: 635k total doses today (excl Wales, see 3/3), up 8% on last week. The 7D total edges up to 3.1m. A healthy increase of 40% in 1st doses up to 149k, although that 7D total is still only 0.7m. 

Edited by zahidf

4 hours ago, BobWillis2 said:

You say that as if it’s a fact. 

We will never know how bad the “wuhan variant” would have been going into the period in this country when respiratory viruses run wild because it wasn’t here yet. 

They’ve already had to admit it wasn’t more deadly as they proclaimed in front of the worlds press. So why should we believe that it’s more infectious? They also said it so infectious we would struggle to get R under 1 even with a lockdown and cases plummeted as soon as went into lockdown. 

“Oh but look at x country which is now seeing lots of cases of the UK variant” 

Yes, because they had loosened restrictions and had poor vaccine rollouts. The “Wuhan variant” also ran wild at the same time last year incase people have forgotten.  

The vaccines have done their job the pandemic is over in this country. 

Fair enough, I accept that it's not a cut and dried case linking the Kent variant to higher infectivity. I was certainly sceptical for a long time, but it does seem to be involved whenever there's a growth explosion - even if there's not always a growth explosion when it is introduced to a population.

More informed people than myself seem to think there's a strong case and I have been pursuaded that it was a major - in fact probably decisive - factor in the deaths in the UK this year. But I do accept the doubt on that front.

However, I don't accept your conclusions that it's all over, not quite yet.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Added a vital, sentence transforming, missing "not"
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

However, I don't accept your conclusions that it's all over, not quite yet.

Maybe not, but it’s certainly looking more and more likely. 
If one of the variants we’re told is a big worry and the vaccines are less effective against is barely causing so much as a cough in care home residents (granted a very small sample size) who are some of the most vulnerable members of society then it’s definitely time to be very optimistic.  
Particular as six of the 10 residents infected had only received one dose. 

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ha! Just posted the same video in the Pub thread, but I didn't know where it was from, so uploaded the video uncredited.

Glasto should book them for the comedy tent...seen them at a few festivals here in Ireland and their live show is great (they don’t sing that much!)...

Am off to Wembley tomorrow for the FA Cup semi final. Will be strange to be around so many people and also strange that Wembley will be so empty. Hopefully it will be the first of many gatherings. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Can't believe some people are still pretending they don't understand the caution is mainly over variants developing that can bypass some of the immunity

It’s also to see if there are any negative effects of the loosening of restrictions too. Hopefully we won’t see in the next few weeks a large rise in prevalence of the virus but we don’t know for sure. I don’t think we will it’s after the next step we might do with indoor mixing being allowed. 

20 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Can't believe some people are still pretending they don't understand the caution is mainly over variants developing that can bypass some of the immunity

Does anyone know if the india one can bypass some immunity or is it just theoretical fear it could?

Excuse my ignorance too, but I guess it’s unlikely any variant would see us all the way back to step 1, people would still be less likely to catch a variant if they’d had a vaccine and less likely to die or have serious illness too?

6 minutes ago, JB15 said:

Does anyone know if the india one can bypass some immunity or is it just theoretical fear it could?

Excuse my ignorance too, but I guess it’s unlikely any variant would see us all the way back to step 1, people would still be less likely to catch a variant if they’d had a vaccine and less likely to die or have serious illness too?

More significantly than being less likely to catch the virus if vaccinated is being much less likely to pass it on.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

If we keep restrictions because of the potential for variants that can bypass the vaccines then restrictions will need to be in place indefinitely. It's not a valid reason to maintain restrictions. 

10 minutes ago, JB15 said:

It is a "variant under investigation"

Some info here...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/16/india-covid-variant-found-uk-specimens-taken-february

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/16/what-are-the-new-covid-variants-and-what-do-they-mean-for-the-pandemic

7 minutes ago, El Matador said:

If we keep restrictions because of the potential for variants that can bypass the vaccines then restrictions will need to be in place indefinitely. It's not a valid reason to maintain restrictions. 

That's a reasonable argument, I just take issue with articles that pretend they don't understand the reasoning for the caution. Personally, I think they'll be cautious over summer, have the booster shots in autumn/winter for the current variants that will hopefully negate the need for a winter lockdown and then after that they'll adopt the stance you have.