When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I think it'll be a whole new world going forwards, and I think there's a lot of complications still to come with the WFH thing. Just as an example I used to WFH a lot as most of my team were based in London (I was in our Midlands office so little point me going in often) - my job has got a lot easier in the pandemic as *everyone* is WFH, so no expectation for in person meetings, so no trying to line up a meeting where everyone can be in the office on the same day. The "hybrid" model only works if people remain available to go in to work every day for meetings where required but stay at home when not. The "hybrid" model we used to have meant X did WFH Mon/Thu and Y did WFH Tue/Wed and so we could only ever arrange in person meetings on Friday... bloody nightmare.

I think short term there's a massive ethical issue if a vaccinated manager is asking unvaccinated reports to come into the office. Which is likely as managers tend to be older than their reports. 

This is not an “ethical issue”

The reason these people aren’t vaccinated is because they’re young and healthy. They will get vaccinated in due course to reduce transmission but there is no ethical issue with asking young unvaccinated people to go to the office just like there’s no ethical issue with allowing them to go to pubs. 

22 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's something that needs to be solved, it just hasn't been yet as most places weren't taking on new staff during the pandemic. Much like how it was seen to be difficult/impossible to do a lot of things remotely, which we've now found ways to do out of necessity. This is just a problem that hasn't been entirely solved yet because the demand has not been there, not because it's fundamentally difficult.

We've taken on new staff during the pandemic and had taken on a whole new team practically in January just before the pandemic. Our team is split between Spain and the UK anyway. The UK team all work from home and all in different parts so we are never together anyway. I started just the November before the pandemic and all my training was over teams. By January I was in Barcelona training the new team. They usually worked in an office and some coped with the change and some didn't. Ironically the ones who were meant to be permanent struggled and were let go and the ones who we had only taken on for a 6 month contract to help with a large project are still here. We took on 2 new people during the pandemic and had a 50/50 success rate with them as well. I suppose working from home isn't for everyone. The person who couldn't pick up the job that we employed during the pandemic got exactly the same training as the one who we have kept on and if I was to say what was the difference between them it would be that he was a dick who clearly didn't like taking instruction and seemed to feel the role was way too junior for him even though he couldn't actually do it properly. Final straw was when he kept telling my boss how'd he do things differently and how he'd manage us differently and manage the work differently all whilst still unable to do our most basic task that I learnt on my first day in the job without making errors. My boss luckily got a call saying that the person who I was meant to be just doing maternity cover for was going to come back early as she couldn't do anything anyway and so told him he was no longer needed. None of us were upset to see him go. 

We've also had to learn a brand new system during the pandemic and yes I think we probably would have been quicker if we could have had an in person training session but it is possible to learn remotely. Our team range in age from 22 to 44 and we've all coped. 

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It might be a load of tosh but it might not be. That’s the point, you don’t know what she might be going through in her head. We don’t know if someone is going through anxiety.

She should be given that choice to stay working remotely if she wants to and her work isn’t suffering as should you and everyone else that can work from home in your company. 

yawn.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Its getting a bit interesting where I work as some people have been going in throughout (maintenance staff, catering etc) and some half working from home and half in office and some 100% working from home.

I had a debate with my team leader who announced that she won't be returning to working full time in the office and I pushed her a little on why.  She is in her mid-20's, lives 15 mins from our place of work, has no children or any other reason that makes working from home easier.  She had no answer for me....funnily enough one of my friends works with her boyfriend and through that connection I heard it was because she prefers to lie in bed till 5 to 9 and sit in her pyjamas all day etc, although obviously she wouldn't admit that to me!

What’s even wrong with that? I’m basically in the same position as her (except I have a longer commute) and I have zero intention to go back full time because tbh, why should I? 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

fucking hell India 😞 .... becoming the New Brazil 😞 its nuts 

They need fired on the red list. ASAP. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What’s even wrong with that? I’m basically in the same position as her (except I have a longer commute) and I have zero intention to go back full time because tbh, why should I? 

I've outlined why in other posts mate. 

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

My gym - Nuffield- don’t require them 

It's an odd one isn't it.

You can sweat / heavy breathe all over & around the treadmill yet two steps either side of it you're supposed to wear a mask 😂

I think the complete madness / illogical nature of some of these rules are the reason I hold so many of the covid guidelines in such disdain.

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

By sheer chance I’m at the first pilot, the World Snooker at the Crucible next week. I have to have done a lateral flow test and a PCR test in advance, and afterwards, both of which I’ve got home test kits delivered. Also needed to sign a consent form. It’s 50% capacity when we are there and I’m really looking forward to seeing how it all goes. 

I guess because some opted not to go we seem to have been upgraded as the evening seats are row B which is cool. 

I didn’t need to have any special log in to order the PCR test, which I find strange as people are paying a lot to get private testing for travel abroad. 

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's an odd one isn't it.

You can sweat / heavy breathe all over & around the treadmill yet two steps either side of it you're supposed to wear a mask 😂

I think the complete madness / illogical nature of some of these rules are the reason I hold so many of the covid guidelines in such disdain.

yeah, you should really be wearing a mask on the treadmill.

• Downvote 1

As far as I know masks have always been guidance rather than mandatory in gyms. I changed gyms last year and in both of them it was recommended when moving around the centre but not compulsory. I guess different gyms might have different rules.

I used to wear one when going through reception as the staff there come into contact with a lot of people, but not in my classes. I was very much in the minority, though. Most didn't bother.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Biggest issue with WFH / WFA is the training of junior staff.

That is a headache.  I’m recruiting for 2 more staff at the moment, volunteers to be their mentor isn’t forthcoming so..... how to persuade/force 2 to come in pretty much perm whilst the others are mostly working from home is going to be fun!!

7 hours ago, mazola said:

Surely the argument that people work just as hard from home is negated by the fact that some of you manage to spend all day on here posting

From what I’ve just read, the ones advocating permanent working from home are actively engaged on every page of this thread! 1000’s of posts! No wonder they don’t want to go back to the bloody office. I’d just assumed they must be on furlough until now 😂😂😂

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

What I don't get is why people who were rarely in meetings before COVID/WFH are now constantly on teams calls and unavalible. 

They are watching Holly and Phil.

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

She should be given that choice to stay working remotely if she wants to and her work isn’t suffering as should you and everyone else that can work from home in your company. 

Post covid? Why should she? That’s up to the company. If you don’t like the company, don’t take the job - same as it used to be. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, st dan said:

Good move from Germany / Merkel showing that she’s had the AZ jab (although she’s probably had the Pfizer in secret). Might go some way in rebuilding confidence in it. 

I am rather confident now that Europe will be back to near normality by summer as cases in our region have begun to fallen now, so we are probably past the third wave, vaccination campaign has won speed and will win speed with other vaccines coming and peoples fear about the AZ and J+J has become low here.

First opening steps for culture, hospitality, tourism in Italy end of April, in Austria middle May and both are very confident that they can remove many restrictions by summer (at least with the new green vaccination certificate in place by june).

19 hours ago, sisco said:

Tbf a lot of the city (London) is deserted on a weekend.

I get that others may thrive although I’m pretty sure working from home means most eat and drink at home?! Maybe it’s just me.  

I work from home all the time and always go out to get lunch otherwise I'd hardly go out. There's a shop round the corner which does great curry and rice for four quid.