When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I'm just going to have to deal with it unfortunately 😞 

The bit in bold - It's going to be interesting to see what happens as some roles can work remotely but others can't (DC, store workers)... so I think our company will leave it to the decision of the line managers on whether role can be done from home and this is what will be the issue...

Both my line manager and her manager are bums on seats to be effective, with my line manager being a bit of a tech phobe as well!!

Most of my day is basically read/approve reports all day, sending comments or asking the question on teams. I'm now getting more involved in projects which means talking to more folk and whilst face to face meetings are okay sometimes they are not 100% necessary to get the job done if you have the right tech - my last job was working with loads of people who were not in my office so whilst I did go into the office, the people I mainly worked with I spoke over Skype and whatnot

Where I am now feels like I've stepped back 10 years, christ I'm using remote desktop with my own laptop ffs - not even been issued work laptop 😞 

It's difficult conundrum some of my team were wfh most of the time others were thrown into it and we've had same issues sourcing appropriate kit . Massive initial problems with Skype teams etc but Miles better now .

I would say vast majority of staff more effective wfh but do benefit from odd day seeing those they work closest with .hope it goes OK 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I presume they’ve been working fine for the past year? Which shows that it’s not imperative that staff come back to the office. If an individual isn’t performing then that’s for that individual and their line manager but for the majority they should be given the choice.

To some the office environment is great but to some it’s the opposite for many different reasons so to try to force staff to come back after everything that’s happened is a real missed opportunity in my view. 

They have, but they've also been doing either altered or different roles whilst this has been happening.  There will be times they have to come to the office to complete their role.   It’s nothing about performance.

1 minute ago, sisco said:

They have, but they've also been doing either altered or different roles whilst this has been happening.  There will be times they have to come to the office to complete their role.   It’s nothing about performance.

Well yeah if there’s something that physically can’t be done at home then yeah of course someone would have to be at the workplace.

The toothpaste is out of the tube now though with home working and the pandemic has shown both people that WFH is a much more attractive option to many. I would hope that businesses don’t just ignore that.

• Like 1

WFH is an employee choice and there’s nothing contractually in the majority of employment contracts that gives the “power” to the employee in that regard.

Of course employers can choose to be flexible but they don’t have to.

I foresee my firm doing giving employees the option of splitting their week with at least 50% in the office (3 days realistically) however if choosing to WFH the firm won’t be providing equipment as it’s not the firm requiring you to work at home.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I should add that decisions regarding WFH are more complex than I think some posters perceive them being.

I’m aware that it could be a complex situation but the businesses that don’t realise that this is the future of working will be left behind by skilled workers searching for an employer that has modernised and gives their workers the choice.

That’s all it should be, the trust and choice of how often they want to come into the office. 

I remember what you said about your workplace through the pandemic and I’m glad I don’t work there. My workplace have been very good and have said they’ll be continued flexibility provided when the pandemic is over. My department will change to be a remote working team, coming into the office as much as we want (if we can book a desk - they’ll potentially be that system in place) and all coming together for a monthly meeting. They would also still provide work equipment, they aren’t petty 😂

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I should add that decisions regarding WFH are more complex than I think some posters perceive them being.

100%.  We’ve been told we don’t actually have WFH contracts and that there are different Health & Safety issues, wage issues and insurance issues that would stop them doing so.

For instance where do people stand on those that have been commuting to London and earning London wages?! If they work from home should they receive a 10,000 wage cut or whatever the equivalent is in their local area?

6 minutes ago, sisco said:

100%.  We’ve been told we don’t actually have WFH contracts and that there are different Health & Safety issues, wage issues and insurance issues that would stop them doing so.

For instance where do people stand on those that have been commuting to London and earning London wages?! If they work from home should they receive a 10,000 wage cut or whatever the equivalent is in their local area?

All valid concerns but those shouldn't be barriers to change, if last March taught us anything it's that when needs must we can push passed all this 'red tape' and look for a different/better way of doing things.

Just now, Ozanne said:

All valid concerns but those shouldn't be barriers to change, if last March taught us anything it's that when needs must we can push passed all this 'red tape' and look for a different/better way of doing things.

Of course and I’ve no doubt that there will be jobs that will be advertised as WFH however I very much doubt there’ll be many where you never have to go into an office at some point.

We’re going to hybrid working and I hope to be able to give my staff the chance to work at home the majority of each week but they’ll certainly be expected to come in at the appropriate times.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m aware that it could be a complex situation but the businesses that don’t realise that this is the future of working will be left behind by skilled workers searching for an employer that has modernised and gives their workers the choice.

That’s all it should be, the trust and choice of how often they want to come into the office. 

I remember what you said about your workplace through the pandemic and I’m glad I don’t work there. My workplace have been very good and have said they’ll be continued flexibility provided when the pandemic is over. My department will change to be a remote working team, coming into the office as much as we want (if we can book a desk - they’ll potentially be that system in place) and all coming together for a monthly meeting. They would also still provide work equipment, they aren’t petty 😂

Dude, it’s highly likely that we work in different industries & you really need to open your mind to these things before making childish statements like this. You shouldn’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes etc.

I’m happy you work in an industry that can support you working from home and in turn you can work as effectively as you have done previously in the office however this isn’t a blanket approach that will work for every office based business.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Dude, it’s highly likely that we work in different industries & you really need to open your mind to these things before making childish statements like this. You shouldn’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes etc.

I’m happy you work in an industry that can support you working from home and in turn you can work as effectively as you have done previously in the office however this isn’t a blanket approach that will work for every office based business.

You've regularly judged people (including myself) throughout the pandemic so maybe you take some of your own advice. Weren't a few weeks ago you were criticising people that didn't want to break the restrictions?

My mind is quite open on this issue as all I've said is that staff should be given the choice to continue working remotely, I'm hardly calling for a revolution. Loads of people seem actually happier WFH so why not let that continue and give them that option. Obviously some will want to come back to the office which is completely fair so they'll have that option as well. The businesses that give staff that flexibility will be the ones that skilled workers will move towards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You've regularly judged people (including myself) throughout the pandemic so maybe you take some of your own advice. Weren't a few weeks ago you were criticising people that didn't want to break the restrictions?

My mind is quite open on this issue as all I've said is that staff should be given the choice to continue working remotely, I'm hardly calling for a revolution. Loads of people seem actually happier WFH so why not let that continue and give them that option. Obviously some will want to come back to the office which is completely fair so they'll have that option as well. The businesses that give staff that flexibility will be the ones that skilled workers will move towards.

You’re probably right although I don’t entirely agree re the criticising of those not breaking restrictions. I’m more than happy for people stick to rules however I don’t think those who aren’t should be chastised as the devil incarnate (I’m not talking about taking the piss entirely but you get my drift)

I’m relaxed on the fact there will be people who think differently to how I do and it’s pretty clear to see how we all have settled in to different groups on that which is completely reasonable and to be expected.

Better hope that some people arent going to leave their jobs to take one that is working from home as that seems the more attractive approach.

Once the minimum wage reaches £10 per hour which is pretty much what a basic wage is in nhs why would anyone put up with that grief when they could earn the same at home.

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

RIP city centre pubs, restaurants, coffee shops, cafes and takeaways if working from home becomes the norm and people don’t return to the office once this virus is under control.

Fully agree, there’ll be lots of unemployment.  Least those who want to work at home can though right....

58 minutes ago, sisco said:

I don't mind them keeping their money as long as I can get a piece from Manchester.

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

Fully agree, there’ll be lots of unemployment.  Least those who want to work at home can though right....

It should redistribute that spending to the towns where people live, the money might not be spent in say London but workers might instead buy their lunch in a little independent cafe where they live. Or the money they save on the commute could be spent on other things in their local area. It doesn't have to mean unemployment.

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Any chance of getting participants to sign up and get lateral flow tests before hand ? They are available to everyone now ... as for other things ask for the windows to be open and ensure that the room has more than adequate space ... those first steps aren’t easy ... best of luck 

Actually where I work has been running lateral flow testing on site since before Christmas as the DC is next door... this has also been rolled out to stores with them reopening

They are one of the better places on trying to keep people safe... it's just I wasn't ready quite yet that's all

The other part of WFH is more to do with the 3hr commute and 5.30am get up... as this last year as shown I can very effectively (if not better) do my job from home

To the person who brought up hardware it's been given to nearly everyone inc 2 team members, yet I've not been offered it which sucks tbh

On 4/10/2021 at 12:16 AM, theevilfridge said:

Fuck off back to whichever Covid denial Facebook group you’re getting your bullshit from mate.

Hope this helps?

I'm no covid denier. But it appears your are simple attacking me for stating a clear and obvious fact. This speak volumes....

You need to own the fact that lockdowns have been a pointless failure in this country.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It should redistribute that to the towns where people live, the money might not be spent in say London but workers might instead buy their lunch in a little independent cafe where they live. Or the money they save on the commute could be spent on other things in their local area. It doesn't have to mean unemployment.

And maybe there will be working spaces/hubs in local town centres etc - boosting their economies.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It should redistribute that spending to the towns where people live, the money might not be spent in say London but workers might instead buy their lunch in a little independent cafe where they live. Or the money they save on the commute could be spent on other things in their local area. It doesn't have to mean unemployment.

Those businesses thrive on office worker footfall. Not everyone lives in a city centre so the idea that the customer base will be redistributed is false. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I really don't want to go back to the office.

Me neither as I had a laughing hyena behind me and a shit chair/ screen.... oh and did I mention 3hrs+ drive per day 😂

I am nervous about next week though 😞

Edited by shoptildrop

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

And maybe there will be working spaces/hubs in local town centres etc - boosting their economies.

Yeah exactly, they'll be lots of new opportunities for businesses in local areas that might not have had that revenue source before. It could be that people that live outside of city centres would spend in places they wouldn't have before which gives those businesses opportunities as well.