When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

J&J should be delivered next week in Europe BUT made this statement minutes ago:

"We have decided to proactively delay the delivery of our vaccine doses to Europe," said a statement from Johnson & Johnson. The company stresses that it is working closely with health authorities - including in Europe - to resolve the incidents of six blood clots in 6.8 million vaccinations. "The safety and well-being of those who use our products is our top priority."

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't get it to be honest.  Wouldn't that mean there are more doses available for Europe, who can make up their own mind on whether clots are worth the risk.  

Yeah I think it's an over abundance of caution.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't get it to be honest.  Wouldn't that mean there are more doses available for Europe, who can make up their own mind on whether clots are worth the risk.  

It's odd isn't it. 

Risk wise I really don't understand all of this pausing etc!

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

J&J should be delivered next week in Europe BUT made this statement minutes ago:

"We have decided to proactively delay the delivery of our vaccine doses to Europe," said a statement from Johnson & Johnson. The company stresses that it is working closely with health authorities - including in Europe - to resolve the incidents of six blood clots in 6.8 million vaccinations. "The safety and well-being of those who use our products is our top priority."

They are just being cautious then, investigating the blood clots before they roll the vaccine out further. It’s probably a wise move just to make sure there’s no issue then roll it out rather than have a situation like with the AZ vaccine. 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They are just being cautious then, investigating the blood clots before they roll the vaccine out further. It’s probably a wise move just to make sure there’s no issue then roll it out rather than have a situation like with the AZ vaccine. 

totally agree on this. as the vaccine hasn`t reached our shores there will be far less skepticism than it would have been after weeks in use and countries would stop it then. we have seen it on the AZ (who never got out of the negative headlines here, partly out of their own fault) and the vaccination strategy of most eu-countries is based on Biotech, Moderna and the AZ - nevertheless the J&J would be good addition as it is a one shot vaccine and its also a part of eu-countries vaccination plans.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

totally agree on this. as the vaccine hasn`t reached our shores there will be far less skepticism than it would have been after weeks in use and countries would stop it then. we have seen it on the AZ (who never got out of the negative headlines here, partly out of their own fault) and the vaccination strategy of most eu-countries is based on Biotech, Moderna and the AZ - nevertheless the J&J would be good addition as it is a one shot vaccine and its also a part of eu-countries vaccination plans.

It feels like this is a small hiccup now but on the long run it should actually help matters. (I don’t mean to downplay blood clots as a minor thing)

10 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's odd isn't it. 

Risk wise I really don't understand all of this pausing etc!

Risk perception (when the risk is small) is quite abstract and also quite subjective. The examples given above aren’t that relevant, there’s loads of other things we don’t worry about that have higher risks than clotting events with the vaccine, but the main risk you want to balance is the risk from the disease the vaccine is protecting you from versus the vaccine itself (so, for a 20 year old for example, there is nowhere near a 20% chance they end up in hospital if they contract the virus as shown in the figures quoted above...using the most extreme example in high risk individuals to illustrate a point does nobody any favours as it too misrepresents the facts). These types of events occur twice as frequently with the MMR jab, but we still use it as the risk/benefit ratio is clear. FWIW, I think the JCVI have it correct, risk of vaccine-related complications is higher under the current circumstances in under 30s, so offer something else. Other places are being more conservative, however they have consistently been, so it’s true to form! In J&Js case, they are back where AZ were when this first popped up, it will be used again, but with clearer guidance on the safest approach (which is a little more awkward for J&J as we had planned on using it for younger cohorts)...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

With hindsight, all the companies had to do was list blood clotting as an extremely rare side effect when these started rolling out, and then I doubt any of this would even have made headline news. 

They are so rare they didn’t show up in the trials unfortunately (4-10 per million, so didn’t occur in the 40,000 odd people enrolled in the trial). It is indeed now listed as a rare side effect and can be treated if it’s caught, so increasing awareness of it will help the safe use of the vaccines.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't get the reassurance concept... 

You could test negative at the centre and contract it on the way home.  No way to live a life.

Your poking a stick up your nose ... it’s really no major issue ... I’m signed up to the govt testing ... And it was nice to hear my hairdresser completed one yesterday which was obviously negative ... whats this no way to live a life thing ? If it helps reassure the person taking the test or someone they are in close contact with I say go for it ... and yes it reassured me ... so maybe you don’t get it ... but it absolutely works for some 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It feels like this is a small hiccup now but on the long run it should actually help matters. (I don’t mean to downplay blood clots as a minor thing)

It will be interesting as they delivered already some doses to some EU countries. Austria got 16.800 doses. so interesting what will happen with those doses and who will decide if or when they can be used - the EMA who already approved it, the company, will they go with the advice of the US FDA or will the EU-countries decide again on their own? - will they wait or take the risk or restrict it like the AZ? So yeah hopefully the hickup won`t be too big and it will not take too much time as it always has been a race against time and Europe has some catch up to do.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Did you read the link ? 2 hour queue ...  that is what I don't get...   no way would I queue 2 hours....

Have LF test kits at home.  Makes far more sense 

Hey If you want to spend 2 hours for a test god knows how many times a week... go knock yourself out  😀

Skimmed over it tbh ... 2 hours might not be so great ... should be better information  about these home tests ... lots of people are unaware they are available to everyone and posted to your door ... hence the Qs 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Skimmed over it tbh ... 2 hours might not be so great ... should be better information  about these home tests ... lots of people are unaware they are available to everyone and posted to your door ... hence the Qs 

They want people to do a PCR test, not a LFH test. 

Dropping this in a few threads.   Music Venue Trust running online survey on return to live music, what your gig habits were/are and what you're comfortable with (or not) happening in order to return to gigs. Get involved.