When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Our health minister resigned today seeing 4 main problems for the future which he is unable to solve:

1) Variants, which always will pop up

2) one third of the people wo do not want to be tested

3) one third who do not want to get vaccinated and

4) Long Covid effects

So Corona Virus 1 Austrian Health Minister Rudi Anschober 0

no.3 is a big problem. Are they mainly younger people who don't want the vaccine?

Just now, steviewevie said:

can't see much wrong with what he's saying. Cases were reduced by lockdown, and this then leads to reduced deaths. It's as cases rise again, if they rise, that hopefully shouldn't see a corresponding rise in deaths.

He wants people to remain cautious and not think it's all over.

My only issue was his horrendous wording that sounded like a dismissal of the vaccine programme. He should've just said word for word what you said if he wanted to be clear 😂

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

My only issue was his horrendous wording that sounded like a dismissal of the vaccine programme. He should've just said word for word what you said if he wanted to be clear 😂

but even if he says that hopefully deaths won't rise as cases rise in future...to a lot of people that will mean it's all over and ignore the hopefully bit.

Just now, st dan said:

Yeah true, I certainly got lost in his waffle staring at that!! Looks like he did it himself ... with a knife and fork. 

He always seems to be laughing at his own joke when he mentions haircuts - as if we'll all laugh along with him. Though I suppose many will...

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Breaking news: scientists change their minds as they get more evidence.

What needlessly sarcastic drivel. So you think it is appropriate to hold a huge press conference to scare people by saying it MAY be more deadly? And now they're saying it may be less deadly.  Why do that in the first place? It didn't change anything rules wise cause we were already locked down It served no positive purpose.

• Like 1

Government are in a bit of a tough position at the moment in terms of trying to stop people thinking it's all over just because pubs and shops etc are open. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these sorts of interviews with Boris in the coming weeks about people not dropping their guard. What he said is true, but also isn't completely accurate.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

He always seems to be laughing at his own joke when he mentions haircuts - as if we'll all laugh along with him. Though I suppose many will...

it adds to his lovable cheeky chappie posh roguish image.

He has thin hair so would probably look pretty shit if cut normally and brushed...so he bungs in some expensive hair product and goes for the dragged through a hedge backwards look.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The main issue with B117 has always been it is more infectious.

Yeah that's what I thought. I don't remember there being a press conference about it being more deadly, but I may have missed it. I remember the cancel Christmas because it's more infectious and we don't know yet how deadly thing.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no.3 is a big problem. Are they mainly younger people who don't want the vaccine?

No, he spoke from the whole population. it`s a similar situation in most other euro-countries, probably even more so in France. Goal has always been to vaccinate two thirds of the population by summer at least once (nearly everywhere in the EU) which could easily happen (even if our new health minister wants to be cautious on this goal) as the other third does not want to get vaccinated - so for the two thirds there should be enough vaccines in the next few months, even with the delivery problems - so they can say "Every person who wants a jab until summer here will get one" (if everyone would want to have one the goal could never be reached).

And a month ago B117 could be up to twice as deadly 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/kent-variant-covid-twice-deadly-other-strains-research-b923264.html

But today that's apparently no longer the case. It's laughable that this scare mongering stuff is latched upon and a big press conference given about it.

If it emerges that it is in fact no more deadly than the original strain then will there be a press conference dedicated to informing the public of this? I think not

Also not too long ago apparently B117 was so much more contagious that even the winter lockdown wouldn't be enough to prevent the R number staying above 1.

Just cause scientists say it, doesn't make it right. There's thousands of scientists all giving opinions and they can't all be right. In fact sometimes they are very, very wrong.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's what I thought. I don't remember there being a press conference about it being more deadly, but I may have missed it. I remember the cancel Christmas because it's more infectious and we don't know yet how deadly thing.

I think someone did say it was possibly more deadly...but they didn't know yet as I guess too early to get real data. They were probably just going off the rising death rate.

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55768627

End of January. And I distinctly remember thinking it was fucking stupid at the time cause it would terrify people like my mum who are already scared atm

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If it emerges that it is in fact no more deadly than the original strain then will there be a press conference dedicated to informing the public of this? I think not

This is the danger of how people consume media, and how publishers write stories nowadays. For something as changeable as science where it's often a case of "we think this might be x" – there's absolutely no incentive to report anything other than that originally negative story because good/better news doesn't get traffic. It's obscenely dangerous.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think someone did say it was possibly more deadly...but they didn't know yet as I guess too early to get real data. They were probably just going off the rising death rate.

It’s possible the data at the time showed it was more deadly but as we have got more data it shows that isn’t the case. I think in all likelihood the truth is somewhere in the middle though. 

Also, I don't agree with the scientist bashing and name calling here but I also don't agree with 'person X is a scientist therefore they're correct'. Scientists are all giving conflicting vies and opinions and they can't all be correct. Off the top of my head I can think of tonnes of big names that have got lots wrong. 

In august for example, Chris Witty (who i like btw) said it was unlikely we would get a safe and effective vaccine before winter 2021/22. A whole year before that we had like 3 vaccines approved. 

It's one thing to err on the side of caution and it's another to make out this is never ending and spread scary stuff before it is fully verified. 

It's clear the vaccines work amazingly well and reduce transmission but they obviously aren't shouting that from the rooftops as it would breed complacency. Sometimes you need to read between the lines and use common sense.