When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

56 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Just booked my 1st and 2nd jab through the main NHS booking website, I am 49 and gave all my correct details so looks like they have opened it up to the late 40s crew tonight! I wasn't able to do this earlier today. Fill your boots/arms you fellow late 40s people. Woop woop! Come on AZ, let's be having you!

Yes am able to book mine too. 49.

Booked for Saturday, will need to cancel 2nd one though as won't be in the area at that time.

Edited by Paul ™

Many businesses can't afford to reopen if its outdoors only.

The hospitality industry has been on life support for the past year but not all months are created equal. January is shit, nobody missed that. On the other hand May is one of the best months of the year for the hospitality trade: with spring and the unofficial start of summer weather, 2 bank holidays, the end of the Premier League, Champions League semi final and final and so on.

And we're going to piss away most of that because of what? When there's negligible cases, negligible hospitalisations and negligible deaths - and all Phase I people are vaccinated.

All Phase I people have been vaccinated, that vaccine is live within 3 weeks, by Bank Holiday Monday we ought to see life and businesses reopened. Enough is enough.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Many businesses can't afford to reopen if its outdoors only.

The hospitality industry has been on life support for the past year but not all months are created equal. January is shit, nobody missed that. On the other hand May is one of the best months of the year for the hospitality trade: with spring and the unofficial start of summer weather, 2 bank holidays, the end of the Premier League, Champions League semi final and final and so on.

And we're going to piss away most of that because of what? When there's negligible cases, negligible hospitalisations and negligible deaths - and all Phase I people are vaccinated.

All Phase I people have been vaccinated, that vaccine is live within 3 weeks, by Bank Holiday Monday we ought to see life and businesses reopened. Enough is enough.

Tough time to be a pub...

42 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That isn't outside...  Should be shut down...

What the fuck is wrong with some people...  They have to over do it.

That shelter they have outside is like an upside down bouncy castle. I'm sure they have had it down the side there for years. Used to go to a boozer just a few doors along with my oldman whenever I was back home. 

It will only be students in there.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

10 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I just checked the NHS vaccination booking page and it’s open to over 45s now (I’m still a few years off!) so please book if you can.

Is this more Guardian (who I normally like) doom mongering or something we should be concerned about? 

The article is from an update from gov.uk. I don’t think it’s scaremongering.

17 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I just checked the NHS vaccination booking page and it’s open to over 45s now (I’m still a few years off!) so please book if you can.

Is this more Guardian (who I normally like) doom mongering or something we should be concerned about? 

It's reporting some facts - there is some surge testing going on in South London due to a cluster of the SA Variant. In just the same way has happened up and down the country a while ago - same as will keep happening in the future if clusters of variants of concern happen as this is government policy in England. 

Basically they flood the immediate area with testing and hope to pick up everyone who has that variant and stop it getting out into a wider area. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Lest everyone forget, deaths were low last summer, yet they were able to get high again. Of course vaccines change that calculation considerably, but "deaths are low" isn't exactly the mic drop some of you seem to think it is.

With our current level of vaccination (or the level of vaccination in the middle of June), will lifting all restrictions lead to another round of exponential growth, spiking deaths? I don't know and I suspect none of us here have carried out a rigorous statistical model to make an educated guess. But actual SAGE have and they're not so cocky. And everyone from both SAGEs is far more qualified than most people on this thread, (with at least one exception)

They're scientists trying to add some extra nuance to the discussion. None of us actually know how things are going to pan out as we lift restrictions.

Basically, grow the fuck up, sniping at scientists saying things you don't like.

It's good to see a fair assessment here for a change. It makes a change from all the scientist bashing which seems to have become the norm on this forum. 

23 minutes ago, alanr said:

It's good to see a fair assessment here for a change. It makes a change from all the scientist bashing which seems to have become the norm on this forum. 

Aye, it's been getting a little bit (and I hesitate to say this cos it's very easy to throw around) "Daily Mail" in here

24 minutes ago, alanr said:

TBF, we mostly dont bash Whitty, JVT or Valence. Just people like Friston or Edmunds, or other Fake SAGE type people talking rubbish or doom mongering.

Sakora was getting it in the neck as well, so it isnt all on one side

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Aye, it's been getting a little bit (and I hesitate to say this cos it's very easy to throw around) "Daily Mail" in here

But at what point do we need to drop this attitude that another wave is around the corner? Vaccine roll out has been has a success and now the vast majority of the country has had access to at least one dose of the vaccine.

There’s something that isn’t mentioned here either which is another massive factor. 18-30 year olds have not been able to book their own vaccines yet. We haven’t vaccinated the vast majority of people in that age group and our numbers are already tanking.

Once this age group becomes eligible you will really see how this epidemic (in the UK) is totally over.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But at what point do we need to drop this attitude that another wave is around the corner? Vaccine roll out has been has a success and now the vast majority of the country has had access to at least one dose of the vaccine.

There’s something that isn’t mentioned here either which is another massive factor. 18-30 year olds have not been able to book their own vaccines yet. We haven’t vaccinated the vast majority of people in that age group and our numbers are already tanking.

Once this age group becomes eligible you will really see how this epidemic (in the UK) is totally over.

I agree, it probably is over. It very much looks like it is over for us. Things will probably be fine very soon. But it might not. (It probably will) And so the discussions and planning around that probably need to happen. One of the big criticisms from the start of this was how unprepared we were. Johnson sticking his fingers in his ears and going la la la everything's fine. (or if his handshaking comments were anything to go by, sticking his fingers in other people's ears). So even if they are doom mongers, people saying this stuff isn't a bad thing. it'll be added to the mix. A broad range of views is a good thing. Now you could argue whether they need to be popping up on the news or posting on twitter, and that's fair enough. But I don't know how much impact they have. The posts and articles that are regularly (so so regularly) posted in here, I rarely see them out in the wild. Just in here. The posters must be searching them out, looking for something to get angry about. Very Daily Mail.

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

I agree, it probably is over. It very much looks like it is over for us. Things will probably be fine very soon. But it might not. (It probably will) And so the discussions and planning around that probably need to happen. One of the big criticisms from the start of this was how unprepared we were. Johnson sticking his fingers in his ears and going la la la everything's fine. (or if his handshaking comments were anything to go by, sticking his fingers in other people's ears). So even if they are doom mongers, people saying this stuff isn't a bad thing. it'll be added to the mix. A broad range of views is a good thing. Now you could argue whether they need to be popping up on the news or posting on twitter, and that's fair enough. But I don't know how much impact they have. The posts and articles that are regularly (so so regularly) posted in here, I rarely see them out in the wild. Just in here. The posters must be searching them out, looking for something to get angry about. Very Daily Mail.

Yeah I agree, it does seem very Daily Mail like. But the other point that things will probably be fine soon is also fair, and I think there might be an element of being in the pandemic for so long having 3 lockdowns have made people wary of thinking this might be it. It’s human nature isn’t it to be a bit wary when we’ve been through something bad like this. It’ll take a while for confidence to come back. 

9 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I’m at the opposite end of my 40s (sorry 😉) and the booking system still saying I’m not yet eligible. 

Is it being filtered by age within the 40-49 bracket? That’s not how I’d understood the roll-out, I’d thought it would open up to everyone in that age range at once.  

Sorry for self quoting, but obviously this is now answered and the 45-49 age group is getting prioritised.

Am I being unreasonable to be a bit miffed about how this has been communicated? 😒 I don't recall anything previously suggesting that the age groups would be broken down by 5-year bands, and I've been following vaccine news closely.

When it was announced that over-40s would be eligible this week I got excited about being able to get vaccinated and now it's going to be weeks longer, at least. Honestly a bit surprised myself at how gloomy this has made me feel...

Have I missed something, or is this yet another government pandemic communications SNAFU?

• Upvote 1