When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just seen on Twitter that the Mail are reporting in their paper tomorrow that the J&J vaccine is set to be approved in the next 10 days and the vaccination programme is expected to speed up, with under 50s soon to be offered it. Talk of the vaccine passports being popular with the public and will allow mass gatherings to happen (Glastonbury pictured) as a short term measure before we reach herd immunity in the autumn. Usual Mail caveats obviously, but interesting none the less.

3 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I think some people may fear being an unnecessary burden when the NHS is under pressure. 

Yes, thank you - I can see that being a reason but I don’t understand why ‘opening up’ would get more non Covid patients to seek treatment. Now hospitals have more capacity I wonder if that’s why there has recently been some public messaging tv ads regarding strokes/possible lung cancer coughs encouraging patients to come forward?

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We actively choose to use our finite resources to save the lives of 80+ year olds over the lives of 30 year olds.  Its the end out come of the last 12 months.

This leads to a crass conversation but it's a conversation we should of had and will be having for years.

I don't think we got the balance entirely right to be frank.  

It's not just a case of people not coming forward.  Lots of people's treatment was canceled.

So it would be down to triage then? I think the decision would have to taken by some cold hearted manager as I am sure this would really screw up the doctors/nurses and health care professionals. Like you say though this is part of a much bigger conversation as a society we will need to have at some point. Quality of life with end stage Alzenheimers etc etc?

5 hours ago, onthebeach said:

I have never been able to understand that part of the argument that lockdowns cause health conditions other than Covid to not be treated

Lockdowns don't.but covid does 40% of new covid cases acquired in January were acquired in hospitals, close contact in unventilated spaces.therreseems to be lower problems in hospitals now.

. If we open up then the increase in Covid cases causes even more hospitalisations and the health service to be even more overstretched? Are the ones advocating this approach suggesting a triage where only non Covid cases are treated?

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

PHE and the NHS lacked the organisational ability to quickly formalise an effective strategy to divide up its resources between treating covid patients and non covid patients.  The pandemic planning and readiness was terrible.  There should of been a ready made plan to pick off the shelf but there wasn't. 

That would need spare separate hospitals and the staff for them. It's not a practical approach when pandemics areNot really expected.

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The only one we had was for flu and its accepted it was light weight and wrong.  Early lockdown was key.   The whole NHS largely shut down to anything other than accidents and emergencies coming in via ambulance or the ones who dared to report to A&E and covid patients.  Its was madness.  I know an eye doctor who did next to NOTHING between  March and June not because he didn't have the resources or was being redeployed  but because he was simply told his ward was closing.   Larges amounts of the NHS was just shut down out of fear and lack of organisation with the system.  The system had capacity it was just blunty used.  

The public enquiry is going to savage PHE and the NHS leadership I think.  The likes of Vallance will be found wanting I think as well.  It was a shit a show during the first wave and the early days of this.

Now patients can get there treatments again, even during the last lockdown, which only proves the failures of the first lockdown.

PHE is such a shit show it was totally by passed for the vaccine strategy as Cummings said.  

36 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That is entirely untrue.  Proven by the fact the NHS still kept other services going during the second wave but not the first.

Those other services operate alongside ide normal services in normal and times. Having a pandemonium ic coping NHS would need facilities and stff just for a pandemic a bit like the nightingale hospitals but with stff. A second NHS that did nothing in normal times not a practicalidea

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Those other services operate alongside ide normal services in normal and times. Having a pandemonium ic coping NHS would need facilities and stff just for a pandemic a bit like the nightingale hospitals but with stff. A second NHS that did nothing in normal times not a practicalidea

I thought in 2nd wave other services were reduced as they allocated more and more resources to covid wards.

9 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think they want to come out of this smelling like roses and doing that is stopping more waves over economic damage in their minds.

Its why the chancellor is very much in the background right now.

I think they are wrong.  Elections are always fought on the economy.  But I also think Boris wont be fighting the next election and is more concerned about the public enquiry / legacy.  Just a guess.

Yep, if it’s a battle between keeping their donors happy and the welfare of the general public’s mental health, there is only one winner...

Here is the Daily Heil article (sorry for the link) about the one-jab Janssen jab, if anyone is interested: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9457571/One-jab-Janssen-vaccine-set-approved-DAYS-ministers-prepare-widen-rollout.html

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I thought in 2nd wave other services were reduced as they allocated more and more resources to covid wards.

They were. I needed to have elective surgery on a cyst caused by wisdom teeth. I'm sure those surgeons were available, but the recovery wards were full of contagious Covid patients. And maybe the theatre itself (although I'm not sure about that)

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That sounds really bad until you realise the national average is very low indeed at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/11/anxiety-in-barnsley-as-a-virus-hotspot-get-ready-to-open-its-doors

I live in Barnsley, but wouldn't say I'm anxious about reopening by the same token I've not been in any real rush to get back to the pub or shops next week. 

I am looking forward to sitting in a mates garden next weekend though. 

What I would say is that for lots of last year we had very low case numbers - we have been in Tier 3 (remember them) since the 22nd (I think) of October and we are now seeing close to 100% of cases being the Kent variant. I think we are just catching up with other parts of the county.

Neighbouring areas are seeing similar patterns the similar Rotherham and Doncaster and the more affluent Wakefield, so I don't think it's as simple as people are breaking the rules - I think what we are seeing is a leveling up in this corner of the country sadly not the leveling up that's needed. 

There are no large vaccination centres in Barnsley it's all being done at GPs or people being sent to Wakefield, Leeds and Sheffield that being said vaccination uptake here and jabs administered is still more than comparable with the rest of the country. 

If our numbers don't come down soon though I can see us becoming an exception to some of the restriction easing that being said Tories don't care about Barnsley it's the council to have been hardest hit by austerity so maybe they will just sacrifice a bit more of the borough. Or maybe the inability of the council to provide public services die to austerity plays a role in the higher case numbers...

11 hours ago, onthebeach said:

I have never been able to understand that part of the argument that lockdowns cause health conditions other than Covid to not be treated. If we open up then the increase in Covid cases causes even more hospitalisations and the health service to be even more overstretched? Are the ones advocating this approach suggesting a triage where only non Covid cases are treated?

It’s because when we are in a lockdown, the NHS cancels all non-urgent care and prioritises covid patients over non-covid patients whereas when we are not in a lockdown, other care goes ahead as normal.

They could have used the nightingales for triage and kept covid patients out of the normal hospitals entirely IMO, with the military used to staff the nightingales. 

anyone else signed up to the tests that are now available ? I know its not perfect but just adds another layer of confidence for me when working and being around others ..... I wonder what sort of extra numbers this will add to testing numbers and cases ? 

link for anyone that wants it 

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

Edited by crazyfool1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

That's probably true but hasn't seemed to be anything of my own experience as a non covid patient in five hospitalnsOver the last three months .ive felt like resources have been available as I'd expect them to be....I've been lucky enough to have three long distance transfers at about thre time I've wanted them and it's been appropriate to have them. There's been a bit of waiting around with those for beds to be free where I've been going but I'd expect that in any circumstances.

31 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s because when we are in a lockdown, the NHS cancels all non-urgent care and prioritises covid patients over non-covid patients whereas when we are not in a lockdown, other care goes ahead as normal.

They could have used the nightingales for triage and kept covid patients out of the normal hospitals entirely IMO, with the military used to staff the nightingales. 

Military were being used as extra staff within hospitals, and they're not spare staff if they're not treating military patients those military patients will be treated within the NHS.

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

anyone else signed up to the tests that are now available ? I know its not perfect but just adds another layer of confidence for me when working and being around others ..... I wonder what sort of extra numbers this will add to testing numbers and cases ? 

Yeah I’m going to be testing myself twice a week