When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Quite a few festival cancellations this week. Sadly, it's not looking good for festival season this year. Hopeful that some will hold their nerve but completely understand that many won't want to take that risk.

Anyone had any substantial response from their MPs about why government won't announce insurance scheme? Mine just keeps referring to Cultural Recovery Fund no matter how hard I point out that it's not relevant.

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Fucking hell, had my second Pfizer yesterday and I have the worst fever I've ever experienced today. Glad to be fully vaccinated though.

I also had my second dose yesterday- arm is more sore than the first time, but apart from that, so far nothing else🤞. Hope your fever passes quickly

• Upvote 1

Interesting discussion on 'The Week in Art' podcast today about vaccine passports that have been developed in Denmark and Israel. In Denmark you are eligible if you have been fully vaccinated, have had the virus between two and twelve weeks ago or have a negative test in the last 72 hours and you seem to need it to do anything non-essential. This seems reasonable to me and wouldn't exclude anyone because I'm assuming, being Denmark, that testing is free and readily available. Israel has a 'green pass' but museums are exempt from this so there are obviously much wider exemptions.

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

It’s really irritating that this is presented in such a black and white way. There are other options than covid passports, which we’re not even certain are effective. They may even reduce trust in the vaccine amongst those who are hesitant, in turn potentially increasing risk. 

Agreed. Wonder why the Government are so keen to coerce people into supporting them this way?

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Agreed. Wonder why the Government are so keen to coerce people into supporting them this way?

I'm not sure why they need support, or if they just don't want to anger people ahead of the local elections. Can't they just wait til after the local elections and announce them under the covid emergency powers? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm not sure why they need support, or if they just don't want to anger people ahead of the local elections. Can't they just wait til after the local elections and announce them under the covid emergency powers? 

The Tory party will 100% explode if that happens. The Tory MPs expect a vote on it and thats what theyve been promised

Polls say people are ok with the vaccine passport. Its a party management issues, not a local election votes issue

Edited by zahidf

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't think that will be the case.

There will be very few restrictions by that point (August).  The sad thing is all the cancelations that probably didn't need to happen.

if any can hold on another couple of months they might get the certainty. I'm definitely considering hedging with some day events in case kendal gets cancelled soon, tickets will be hard to come by as less are planned

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem is they need to have everything agreed months in advance don't they...  Acts booked, toilets booked, food stalls booked, security / marshals in place, stages booked, sound systems booked...

You would have to get all organised with the possibility you can cancel at the last moment.  Very difficult.

Its a rock and a hard place situation for the government / industry.   

This is it - I think the government are probably right to not do the insurance scheme, just as festivals were right to get their sell outs before rolling over.

After seeing how fast that lot in Newcastle managed to get those socially distanced shows together last summer I'm hoping that we'll see similar (in terms of speed, not social distancing, though it's an option if they need to) if we get to the summer and actually can have shows with decent capacities. They announced those in July and they happened in August. Demand would be there I'm sure 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is it - I think the government are probably right to not do the insurance scheme, just as festivals were right to get their sell outs before rolling over.

After seeing how fast that lot in Newcastle managed to get those socially distanced shows together last summer I'm hoping that we'll see similar (in terms of speed, not social distancing, though it's an option if they need to) if we get to the summer and actually can have shows with decent capacities. They announced those in July and they happened in August. Demand would be there I'm sure 

I was thinking the same, could festivals that have been cancelled move forward if it became clear they were able to happen? If push came to shove they could use the Trnsmt/BST approach of just being single day events but you're able to buy whole weekend tickets if needed. The demand will be huge and I fully believe we'll be in a position this summer for events to happen with little/no social distancing needed. I'm due to be going to Latitude which is late July and as Festival Republic and Melvin Benn are involved im sure they'll have alternative arrangements up their sleeve in case 

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Well those were run by SSD and, given recent events, I don't see artists queueing up to work with them again this Summer.

I had hoped we'd be hearing about similar events across the country by now for 17th May - September but I think the focus from everyone is on full capacity from 21.6 which is looking less and less likely as the date approaches.

37 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

How many of them have been in lockdown since November or earlier. 

I do wonder if your seeing higher number in South Yorkshire now because we have basically been locked down since October so less people were infected in run up to Xmas, and also are more fed up then others of the rules.

4 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Well those were run by SSD and, given recent events, I don't see artists queueing up to work with them again this Summer.

I had hoped we'd be hearing about similar events across the country by now for 17th May - September but I think the focus from everyone is on full capacity from 21.6 which is looking less and less likely as the date approaches.

Excuse my ignorance but who are SSD and why would people be unwilling to work with them? Just curious! 

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Excuse my ignorance but who are SSD and why would people be unwilling to work with them? Just curious! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-56650645

This explains in more detail but they've had allegations made against their management 

Edited by Chapple12345