When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

That's the thing with models and statisticians... they are like arseholes, they all have one. They all infer their own assumptions and are wrong a lot of the time. Calling them a hack is a leap though... 

He probably needs to explain his complete 180 in the course of a few days. IM happy to say hes a hack!

19 minutes ago, Havors said:

There have been a bunch of immunologists trying to ram home the point t & b cells are the most important factor in immunity. Anti bodies are after the fact showing you have had the virus and fought it (or a vaccine). Its the future tcell response that is important as they will produce the antibodies again when someone comes into contact with the virus again.

Meaning a lot of people wont actually "need" another vaccination per say (no harm in having them though to help). Obviously the elderly will likely need them each year as their immune systems are not what they used to be. 

Yes, I get the T cells being an important part of the immune system (thank you @Toilet Duck) and it isn’t a standard part of testing whilst antibodies are. What I am questioning is (can’t find the actual UCL model) are they presuming that 42% of the population have had Covid and 10% have innate immunity via infection from other coranaviruses?

5 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Yes, I get the T cells being an important part of the immune system (thank you @Toilet Duck) and it isn’t a standard part of testing whilst antibodies are. What I am questioning is (can’t find the actual UCL model) are they presuming that 42% of the population have had Covid and 10% have innate immunity via infection from other coranaviruses?

I would imagine they are presuming 42% have come into contact with it. Lots will have "caught" it or come into contact and fought it off without even knowing. As with all models though... they make a bunch of assumptions. Some make more than others, some make bad assumptions also. 

Isn’t the problem with herd immunity the fact that you can have been vaccinate or previously infected but still catch it (or a new strain) and pass it on? And until we have proper figures for what percentage of people can do that we can’t make and statement on herd immunity?

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Interesting read. As long suspected, a lot of these people seem to have had an emotional reaction to the pandemic then tried to construct a narrative around that. The problem being, the pandemic doesn't give a shit about your emotions.

Also, they don't seem to realise that a lot of who follow the rules, etc don't like lockdown either - we just choose not to whinge about it all the time. (Though I will concede that some of these people in the article seem to have had worse lockdowns that I have.)

It is an interesting article, seems like for some people it's a way of managing/regulating their anxiety- by believing the virus is exaggerated/a conspiracy it makes it seem less threatening, and by them 'seeing through it' and knowing 'the truth' and organising against it, they feel more powerful and in control, which again helps diminish their anxiety.

For others they have a vested interest/ want to believe it's a conspiracy as it has financial implications, and the burden of proof will always be lower if you want to believe something vs if you don't.

For other people the just like twists in films and tv shows, so want there to be one in real life!

Definitely worth a read!

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just had the pharmacist come round doing an auditf who has had what jabsso she can order in the right one for people's second jabs, and hen they arrive I'll be getting my first jab which will be great

At last ... happy days 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just had the pharmacist come round doing an auditf who has had what jabsso she can order in the right one for people's second jabs, and hen they arrive I'll be getting my first jab which will be great

Great news, must have been worrying for you missing your first scheduled vaccination and having the extra worry of catching it while in hospital- been a stressful few weeks for you, hope you get out soon- we need you fully vaccinated and well so you can cover whatever festivals do end up going ahead!

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

upvote 🙂

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think I might have caused them to fdobitvcosvi now refuse to get covid swabbed.they seem to have topped the swabbing since I l kicked off about it.

Sometimes you gotta kick up a stink to get movement!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Ouch. Very ouch. Good luck.

Thanks - after a very painful experience last summer it was discovered I had 6 kidney stones.

I've passed 5 of them - no fun. The one that's left is too big to pass so needs surgery. Everything got cancelled over Christmas - understandably - but hopeful I can get it sorted soon.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://wst.tv/crucible-ticket-holder-information-3/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/56661944

Interesting to see how they are going to handle capacity...

33% - 1st round
50% - 2nd round
75% - quarters and semis
100% - final

What I don't understand as a scientific experiment is what is the aim of the test.  It seems all these tests are testing the combination of testing and masks.  

Surely we need to be holding tests where we try these things in isolation.  None of the test events so far seem to dare do away with masks.  If we don't at some point, how could we ever consider reopening nightclubs with confidence ? 

Its all a bit confusing how we reopen in June as being suggested.

Yeah it does all seem to be mask focused. Makes sense indoors at the crucible but I am struggling to find definitive information on the mask rules for the Wembley fa cup ones. You'd think logically indoors vs outdoors would be the way to split it on this. I'm expecting masks for indoor events for the rest of the year for sure. 

I don't see how it's realistic for say festivals to have masks mandatory, they'd get so dirty/sweaty/wet they'd be pointless very quickly, even forgetting the experience side of things. Probably the same with outdoor gigs (open field based ones not stadiums). There isn't even an outdoor gig as a pilot event come to think of it 

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Isn’t the problem with herd immunity the fact that you can have been vaccinate or previously infected but still catch it (or a new strain) and pass it on? And until we have proper figures for what percentage of people can do that we can’t make and statement on herd immunity?

Not really. If that was the case then we would all be catching polio and measles still and passing it on?

Herd immunity means the chain of infection is broken and a is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination. If the T-cells do their job then a lot of people will have permanent immunity coupled with vaccinated people means herd immunity. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

They still said its a safe vaccine for all age groups.  That was the under lying message so good on Austria for keeping its shit together.

They also have decided here that those who don`t want the AZ will be queued back to the last positions for getting the jab. Think that`s okay as otherwise the vaccination plan would be even more slowed down. The goal is that everyone here has at least one jab until end of June/start of July and with the AZ open for everybody and the others delivering as planned this goal can easily be reached.

The anti lockdown contingent with financial interests in ‘letting it rip’ suddenly developing a social conscience are the ones that continue to amaze me. Their ‘concern’ for the poor people unable to feed themselves, loneliness, suicides, lack of ‘normal’ health care etc etc when in normal circumstances they wouldn’t give a s**t. Such ‘bulls**t’ to rally the masses to support their agenda 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Thanks - after a very painful experience last summer it was discovered I had 6 kidney stones.

I've passed 5 of them - no fun. The one that's left is too big to pass so needs surgery. Everything got cancelled over Christmas - understandably - but hopeful I can get it sorted soon.

i had kidney stones a few years back. Excuse my language, but fuck that shit ever again, it was hideous 😖 

are they planning the sonic shock thingo on you? i kind of fancied that, and it also terrified me. If i remember, they pop a kind of laser rifle up your urethra and reduce the remaining stone to dust, which you can then wee out. Pretty damn cool, but then things passing up and into you is a bit umm . . . intimidating, for me at least.

Drink lots and stay hydrated, i hope you never get kidney stones again! 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sometimes you gotta kick up a stink to get movement!

I'm good at kicking off. The wife did the other day the hospial teansferred to a priveate operator last week and all of the phone numbers got cut off when that happened so she couldn't getvan update on my health and progress so savageda nurse when she finally gota number from another hospital. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Wasn't that the same for large parts of last year? (Month on month comparisons) Due to a combination of lockdown, and (apologies for the terminology) but front loading a lot of deaths earlier in the year?

It will be interesting to see if any of the European countries end up with more deaths than us as theirs are rising while ours are falling.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter