When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

The slide JVT just showed explained it all, people between 20-29 have a higher risk of becoming seriously ill from the AZ vaccine (1.1 per 100,000) than they have of getting Covid and becoming seriously ill (0.8 per 100,000) (not a big difference mind). This is also based on the current very low levels of Covid in the community at the moment. As Covid becomes more prominent (like it was in January) then the risk of  catching Covid and getting seriously ill become higher (6.9/100000) than the risk from he vaccine (1.1 per 100,000). However the risk of anyone is that age group becomeing seriously ill from either Covid unvaccinated or from a clot vaccinated are both very small. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Still think the timing of all of this is very convenient given the current supply issues, and the fact that the rollout in groups 1-9 have now almost been completed. Would have been a nightmare if vaccine confidence went away before both of these occurred. 

They literally said that if there was more virus around, they wouldnt change the advice as under 30s have less risk. So the timing makes sense as we have less virus around

Just now, WestCountryGirl said:

Can't say I'm jumping for joy, as a woman who just turned 30 two months ago. I know they have to draw a line somewhere but being so close to that line does give pause for thought.

As I'm still a way off being invited to take up any vaccine at this point I'm not worrying too much about it yet, but I really hope there is another vaccine on line that I'll be able to take when it comes to be my turn.

Maybe a slightly cynical approach, but if you're concerned - an option may be to hold off the extra few weeks until they open up to <30s and then book an appointment alongside them.

It's likely that most centres will be doing pretty much all first doses at any given time as all the same type because it's easier to manage. So if they've got mostly 25-29 year olds going through, then most others will get the same thing they are - the exceptions being they'll attempt to use up the few surplus doses from the second dose (like for like) stock.

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Might try my local vaccine centre to see if there are any going spare after this news!

Same! I’ll happily take my chances with these odds. Although I’m not under 30! 😂

Another thing, those who have previously had Covid, is it still worth any potential risks now with getting a vaccine as well? As a 30 year old in this boat, I’m not so sure at this moment in time. 

Also worth pointing out that the rollout for those younger people who clearly have a higher risks associated with clotting have yet to be vaccinated in mass numbers. So many these figures would have rapidly increased if no action was taken. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Risk.

Thats the slide, although that only reflects the current very low level of infections. Its a different picture when there is a Coivd wave like there was in January. During a wave the benefits from the vaccine far outweigh the risk of clots in all age groups

1 minute ago, rascalpete said:

Wonder what happens if you are under 30 and already received one dose

I happen to be in this group (29 with underlying health condition, vaccinated a couple of weeks ago with AZ) and the answer is if you didn't get a blood clot (or indeed any other serious side effects) from the first dose you're fine to continue with the second.

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

Thats the slide, although that only reflects the current very low level of infections. Its a different picture when there is a Coivd wave like there was in January. During a wave the benefits from the vaccine far outweigh the risk of clots in all age groups

Next slide please stevie

1 minute ago, theevilfridge said:

I happen to be in this group (29 with underlying health condition, vaccinated a couple of weeks ago with AZ) and the answer is if you didn't get a blood clot (or indeed any other serious side effects) from the first dose you're fine to continue with the second.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The JVCI said that your 2nd dose would carry on as scheduled. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Think I heard them say that every clotting case reported so far has been after the first dose. So 2nd doses should be ok. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You get the second as far as I understand?  This is an issue of preference not stopping or banning 

Thanks all!

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It isn't only at-risk young people who have had it. Healthcare workers, carers and volunteers too (including me, although don't know if I count as young!)

In the case of healthcare workers and carers whatever logic was used to put them higher on the list still applies for a second dose. The one place it gets a bit weird is volunteers who got leftover doses at the end of shifts.

27 minutes ago, st dan said:

It’s a strange one isn’t it, I obviously won’t turn down the AZ if that is what is offered to me - but if I had a choice it would certainly be bottom of the list. 

Glad they’re also mentioning the risks of clotting with contracting Covid is much higher - hope that is the takeaway line from all of this. 

It is a bit weird. Especially as those of us in that age group are most likely to be working from home successfully and can easily limit our contacts - so if it's a matter of waiting an extra month for a safer vaccine, we're able to minimise our chances of getting COVID to almost zero in the meantime also.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

They may need to change this.

They won't want to give 40 to 49 anything other than AZ now.

We may need to start doing younger to give them the right vaccine

I can see your logic and it's right if vaccine supply continues to be constrained, but I think the reality is that by the time we get to the 20+ age group, we'll basically be drowning in vaccine anyway. It still makes more sense to give the older and more at risk people whatever vaccine is available to get that done as quickly as possible.

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Another thing, those who have previously had Covid, is it still worth any potential risks now with getting a vaccine as well? As a 30 year old in this boat, I’m not so sure at this moment in time.  

Depends a bit on when you had it? I think anything past 6 months the immune response can start to drop off, but if it was more recent I can see the argument for waiting.

So, 3 people under 30 have died from these clots. Although it’s obviously very unlikely to happen, it does unfortunately happen so some and that is a read fest so young. Although we’ll never know, I wonder what they risks would have been to these individuals of catching Covid, and whether or not they sadly would have lost their life.
I think very naive to just bat away these concerns that an increasing number of people will now have. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think that logic is pretty broad-brush and doesn't really account for the male/female difference but also lifestyle differences. For 30-39 year olds 2.7 vs 0.8.... but that 2.7 will easily dip below 0.8 if you're a home worker and limit your social contacts.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

So, 3 people under 30 have died from these clots. Although it’s obviously very unlikely to happen, it does unfortunately happen so some and that is a read fest so young. Although we’ll never know, I wonder what they risks would have been to these individuals of catching Covid, and whether or not they sadly would have lost their life.
I think very naive to just bat away these concerns that an increasing number of people will now have. 

But the risks are probably more from catching Covid if there is a lot of Covid around.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That person who came on here the other day saying they were sceptical/worried about taking a vaccine and got a whole load of shite thrown at him...

☝️ 

I'm early 30s. And this has just been a kick in the teeth, I was already worried and awaiting on more info. 

Waiting for Barry fucko to call me an antivaxxer again 😄 Even though I'm still saying I'll get a vaccine when I'm comfortable