When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Keep an eye on the press conferences that’s happening at the moment, it might give you guys some comfort. 

We know it's a small chance, but we don't know if all the cases are linked by something that links my other half to them so for her or others the odds might be a lot less which is why its been looked into.

They need to be clear what the actual level of increased risk is. Saying there is a very rare side effect from AS wont stop people choosing not to get it, or wait until a different vaccine is available. What is the risk, do you have 1000 times more chance of dying of covid v dying from a blood clot, thats what ill give people comfort that its a no brainer not get it. Also what are the chances of getting clots form the other vaccines, and what are the chances of getting a clot without any vaccination at all. That data will give people the comfort they are seeking to get AZ vaccine, its a bit too vague at the moment for me, and wont stop people from shying away from the AZ vaccine (haven't heard all of what being said so this might have been covered already)

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Risks are tiny...  People need to keep their heads.

But the risks of serious illness/death from Covid to the same population are also tiny. If people were undecided, then this news is likely to sway them to not get a vaccine at all. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

does that mean delays in the rollout ? or will we have enough of the alternatives ? with a slowdown in oxford astra availability anyway ... 

I don’t think it will impact things hugely the main issues with speed is a slowdown in general.

Just now, jannybruck said:

Barely 200 cases in 34 million people and yet the blow-by-blow media fearmongery and political pointscoring over the past few weeks will mean many people will swerve having vaccine altogether who don't need to. A fucking mess.

Absolutely ridiculous I agree.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Barely 200 cases in 34 million people and yet the blow-by-blow media fearmongery and political pointscoring over the past few weeks will mean many people will swerve having vaccine altogether who don't need to. A fucking mess.

That's not quite right - the problem is concentrated in younger women.  It's still a low risk, but it's nowhere near 1 in 34 million given that most doses have been given to older people and half of what's remaining has gone to men.

• Upvote 1

All in all whilst the chances are very slim, the MHRA are doing their jobs by looking into the possible issues and also by communicating them to the public. Let’s not forget that whilst the chances are very slim some people will be very worried about this and will be looking for the MHRA’s comments to help them with those worries and decide what to do. 

It’s extremely rare but they have to look into it. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think it will impact things hugely the main issues with speed is a slowdown in general.

Pretty sure we were always relying on new ones to hit that anyway- the AZ supplies need to do an incredible amount of 2nd doses over the next 3 months which takes us to nearly the target date so I can't imagine we ever had many or it for first doses in that time.  probably why the novavax are getting such a leg up with the factory and the talk of j&j for younger people in July. I'd be surprised if this makes a difference- i think if we're going to miss the deadline we were going to anyway

Interesting where this leaves those in their early 30s (like myself) who won’t be offered an alternative vaccine, yet they deem the AZ risky enough for those a few years younger to be offered a different type. 
Although it’s obviously very rare, sadly somebody does need to be that 1 in 250,000 who are affected. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Interesting where this leaves those in their early 30s (like myself) who won’t be offered an alternative vaccine, yet they deem the AZ risky enough for those a few years younger to be offered a different type. 
Although it’s obviously very rare, sadly somebody does need to be that 1 in 250,000 who are affected. 

I’m 35 so in the same boat as you (mid-30s I know 😆)

Edited by Ozanne

10 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Where are we with Novavax and J&J?

Are they coming online soon?

Actually funnily enough I just got a call from my trial centre - they are ready to unblind us and I have my appointment next week, where I'll find out if I had the active or placebo (and will get the single shot if it was the placebo). So they must be expecting an announcement from MHRA authorising use by Monday (appointments started Tuesday!)

Edit: sorry, meant to say, it's the J&J trial I'm on

Edited by SophieBee
  • Upvote 2