When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Does anyone that’s working at a vaccination centre have any info on going for left over jabs at the end of the day? 

I’m hearing of people who know people who’ve been and waited at the end of the day and got left overs and was wondering how much truth there is in it? 

I’m 40, in good health. Is it worth a go? 
I wouldn’t want to take the chance away from anyone in need but happy to be the waste bin replacement! 

if you have one locally maybe worth a trip up there and ask someone ..... it seems fairly common place now and you will be in the next grouping to get them anyway ... good luck 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hi Neil, what’s apparently happening here is a bit different. Clotting with Covid has been recognised for a long time, many of the deaths have been as a result of disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, so much so that d-dimer tests are routinely used on admission to see if anti-coagulants are needed. However, the case reports of those that developed clotting issues post-vaccination point to an autoimmune cause (platelet depletion is not normal) and we are seeing an abundance of anti-platelet antibodies in these patients. This can happen in really rare cases when patients are treated with heparin and, more recently, non-heparin triggers have been identified. It’s entirely possible that as more cases are investigated that a different mechanism could be identified, but pathologically, it looks entirely different to the types of clotting issues seen in Covid patients themselves (which is exactly why regulators across Europe were worried when these cases started appearing). It’s still entirely manageable, but it does need to be managed. 

Guy in the bed next to me had clotting after the Pfizer vaccine?

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Does anyone that’s working at a vaccination centre have any info on going for left over jabs at the end of the day? 

I’m hearing of people who know people who’ve been and waited at the end of the day and got left overs and was wondering how much truth there is in it? 

I wouldn’t want to take the chance away from anyone in need but happy to be the waste bin replacement! 

I'm 44 and last time I checked I'm apparently due to get my first jab by the 13th of April I believe.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

At the centre I've worked at people queue all afternoon outside for the leftovers (earliest was from 11am!). Usually some people get lucky as they open vials towards the end of the day for the last appointments and need to use everything in the vial. I was told nine is usually the highest number of people who get lucky at the place I've been working. Best thing to do is probably head down and ask the staff on the door.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Guy in the bed next to me had clotting after the Pfizer vaccine?

It has also been observed with Pfizer (albeit at a lower rate). The devil is in the detail though (is it a random clotting event or is it the kind of autoimmune one that is causing the concern...and it’s important to distinguish as it changes the treatment for it, but we have lab tests to differentiate the underlying cause). It may be that there is no difference between the vaccines in terms of risk of this type of thing happening (though something like Novavax or Valneva would be expected to be less likely due to the technology being used and prior experience, but they are all new and we’ll get more and more information about how to use them all in the safest way possible as more people get them)...

ps, hope you are feeling a bit better! 

Edited by Toilet Duck

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

In terms of just turning up on the day on the off-chance, it's a long shot. It happens but it's far from guaranteed to happen on any specific day and if it does then it'll likely be limited numbers that won't be known too far ahead of time.

Part of the problem being that doses are shipped in vials of 5 (Pfizer) or 8 or 10 (AZ) doses - however, as they contain a certain amount of excess, it's sometimes possible to draw an extra dose from a vial - the result being that they don't know for sure how many doses they're going to have available until near the end of the day - if they're operating efficiently, the surplus shouldn't be any more than 10.

Probably the better option than hanging around is to contact a centre you can get to easily / quickly, and ask if they have an emergency call list you can be put on - so that when they've finished drawing up and know exactly how many doses they have (vs remaining bookings for the day), they can call you if something is available. You'll probably need to be able to get there with no more than 30 minutes notice though.

It's worth mentioning that it seems like the above does vary quite a bit by area, or by centre, or in some cases by who the clinical lead is on a given day.

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It has also been observed with Pfizer (albeit at a lower rate). The devil is in the detail though (is it a random clotting event or is it the kind of autoimmune one that is causing the concern...and it’s important to distinguish as it changes the treatment for it, but we have lab tests to differentiate the underlying cause). It may be that there is no difference between the vaccines in terms of risk of this type of thing happening (though something like Novavax or Valneva would be expected to be less likely due to the technology being used and prior experience, but they are all new and we’ll get more and more information about how to use them all in the safest way possible as more people get them)...

ps, hope you are feeling a bit better! 

Random from what I heard of his discussion with doc.

35 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I'm guessing that if the first jab causes no issues (re: blood clots) then there's no risk with 2nd jab? The missus has got herself worked up about it all today..

My partner is currently waiting for a call back from a Dr because her forearm has started to become tender, red and possibly a bit swollen about 3 weeks after receiving the AZ vaccine, having got slightly worse in the last 24 hours. and is obviously very aware of the news at the moment and wanted to get it checked out. 

We're sure it's nothing, but she would be more comfortable getting it checked out.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

15 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

My partner is currently waiting for a call back from a Dr because her forearm has started to become tender, red and possibly a bit swollen about 3 weeks after receiving the AZ vaccine, having got slightly worse in the last 24 hours. and is obviously very aware of the news at the moment and wanted to get it checked out. 

We're sure it's nothing, but she would be more comfortable getting it checked out.

I’d be the same, you are doing the right thing by getting it checked out. I hope she’s ok. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I queued up and got a spare dose a couple of weeks ago in London. From my experience the smaller sites are a better bet so pharmacy and GP surgeries rather than the mass vaccination sites as all sites quite rightly prioritise spare doses for volunteers at the sites and given the mass vaccination sites are bigger, there are more volunteers so your chance of getting a spare one yourself is lower. This could be different in other areas but this is my experience. I queued for 90 mins before it closed and got the last one on my day (I was 6th in the queue and the man at the front had been queueing for 5 hours!) but as others have said it’s pot luck as to how many, if any, doses they have, so you may not be successful on your first couple of attempts

29 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Northern Ireland's 7 day rate per 100k is now below 30 (29.8), staggeringly low.

Despite this, we can still pretty much do nothing. Our hairdressers aren't even open yet.

That’s cos as soon as they are, we’re coming to get our hair done! 😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I think they do say to seek advice if you get symptoms like this weeks later. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I’d be the same, you are doing the right thing by getting it checked out. I hope she’s ok. 

Thankyou following some live chat with the Dr and a load of photos, and a follow up call with a different Dr they think it cellulitis so has been prescribed some antibiotics to see how that is for a day or so. With instructions of go to A&E if it changes colour. 

Her arm actually looked pretty cool like a dry ground but the cracks were red rather than cracks 

Just now, zahidf said:

Whilst that is true in one sense, it also isn’t if there are ‘safer’ vaccines that can be given as an alternative. Which we do have on order, just a case of how long we want to wait, and the impacts on the roadmap of doing so. 

8 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Thankyou following some live chat with the Dr and a load of photos, and a follow up call with a different Dr they think it cellulitis so has been prescribed some antibiotics to see how that is for a day or so. With instructions of go to A&E if it changes colour. 

Her arm actually looked pretty cool like a dry ground but the cracks were red rather than cracks 

Keep an eye on it, hopefully it’s nothing serious but always worth to check these things out. 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Whilst that is true in one sense, it also isn’t if there are ‘safer’ vaccines that can be given as an alternative. Which we do have on order, just a case of how long we want to wait, and the impacts on the roadmap of doing so. 

maybe they will do this anyway as more vaccines come online...but at moment that want to keep confidence in vaccines as high as poss.