When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

27 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hi Neil, what’s apparently happening here is a bit different. Clotting with Covid has been recognised for a long time, many of the deaths have been as a result of disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, so much so that d-dimer tests are routinely used on admission to see if anti-coagulants are needed. However, the case reports of those that developed clotting issues post-vaccination point to an autoimmune cause (platelet depletion is not normal) and we are seeing an abundance of anti-platelet antibodies in these patients. This can happen in really rare cases when patients are treated with heparin and, more recently, non-heparin triggers have been identified. It’s entirely possible that as more cases are investigated that a different mechanism could be identified, but pathologically, it looks entirely different to the types of clotting issues seen in Covid patients themselves (which is exactly why regulators across Europe were worried when these cases started appearing). It’s still entirely manageable, but it does need to be managed. 

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Was about to say exactly that actually... 😝

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

My wife had the az vaccine last week and is now panicking with all the blood clot talk on the news the last couple days. I've been reassuring her that the chances are so slim its not worth worrying about. She's 38 and healthy, surely if anything we're to happen it would happen in the next day or 2 following the jab? How do I convince her thats its safe to get the 2nd jab?! 

Throw some statistics at her. You're way more likely to get knocked off your bike on the way there or your ceiling falling in while you're waiting for the appointment than dying from this – ie these instances are extremely rare to the point that they're not worth worrying about, but are being appropriately looked at by the relevant organisations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tigger123 said:

What happens to the young who’ve already had the one dose of AZ? Will they still be encouraged to get their second dose I wonder? 

Those would be people in the at risk categories so it would still be safer for them to get the vaccine than not.

There’s probably legit questions about those people who have lied about being at risk, but fuck em.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Possibly? It would still be a covid death. There should be some record of comorbidity. Would be interesting to know. 

I guess it’s a more general question- when someone dies of something suddenly that’s not obvious (like car accident) do we test for COVID post-mortem? If not then we wouldn’t even be detecting issues with COVID in young people with the sort of incidence rate we are seeing of eg. Clotting in the AZ vaccine?

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Those would be people in the at risk categories so it would still be safer for them to get the vaccine than not.

There’s probably legit questions about those people who have lied about being at risk, but fuck em.

I guess it’s a more general question- when someone dies of something suddenly that’s not obvious (like car accident) do we test for COVID post-mortem? If not then we wouldn’t even be detecting issues with COVID in young people with the sort of incidence rate we are seeing of eg. Clotting in the AZ vaccine?

Or people who work for the NHS or social work....

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

When looking at things objectively and not through the lens of "well its just how things are", It still absolutely astounds me that a former fireplace salesman with no experience in education can be the minister for education. Same goes for any other ministers just put there for political reasons (I'm talking matt hancock there but I guess all of them) Do other countries operate like this? Or do they try to get experts in their fields to run these important parts of their country?

It’s absolutely ridiculous isn’t it! I’ve always thought this about government ministers. It’s highlighted when there is a cabinet reshuffle... hold on, what are they an expert in? It doesn’t happen in normal life... IT expert isn’t suddenly given a job in Medicine with no training or relevant qualifications! 

2 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

When I had my AV jab (about five weeks ago), I was asked if I was taking any anti blood clotting medication. Not sure if this is standard procedure or whether they were responding to early reports.

As far as I know it’s been added to the patient information leaflets recently.

19 minutes ago, st dan said:

Has it been mentioned anywhere how soon after having the vaccine any potential clotting and associated symptoms would/should occur? Or does it vary person by person?

5-14 days is the range in all reported cases so far. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Has anyone seen any numbers on how much Moderna we’re getting in the short term and how much it will benefit the rollout? I see a lot of 17 million banded about but no indication over what timescale.

This is from The Times:

About 100,000 Moderna jabs will be offered every week this month, increasing to 150,000 a week in May.

21 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Or people who work for the NHS or social work....

Those people also have a higher level of risk, that’s why they got the vaccine earlier. So in those cases it’s still worth the minuscule level of risk to take it.

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It isn't only at-risk young people who have had it. Healthcare workers, carers and volunteers too (including me, although don't know if I count as young!)

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Can’t wait for JVT’s footballing analogies on the clots ... ‘These are very rare events, statistically there is more chance of Salah and Mané passing the ball to each other near the opponents goal’. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Hopefully some better numbers of jabs today ... what interval  time have people been having for pfizer  between the doses ? 

At my centre last week we were doing 10/11 week gaps (so mid Jan onwards)

4 minutes ago, stephos83 said:

At my centre last week we were doing 10/11 week gaps (so mid Jan onwards)

Does anyone that’s working at a vaccination centre have any info on going for left over jabs at the end of the day? 

I’m hearing of people who know people who’ve been and waited at the end of the day and got left overs and was wondering how much truth there is in it? 

I’m 40, in good health. Is it worth a go? 
I wouldn’t want to take the chance away from anyone in need but happy to be the waste bin replacement!