When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

The main issue I have is that they are worried about things they have never seen play out before in the real world, so they have no experience to go off despite their obvious knowledge in the field.
What happened to talk of herd immunity, which we are now quickly approaching? 
How do they know what will happen once vaccinated people start mixing again? Like you said, the only way to find out is to crack on with the roadmap, which is what it looks like Johnson will do. 

I presume with their experience of modelling different outcomes they then think there’s a % chance of something happening. I could be wrong though. It’s their jobs after all to warns against the worst case and if they see the potential for something bad happening then they probably feel they have a duty to warn people. However we do need at some stage to try and now we have actual data that shows how things now so we can push ahead. 

Why do all these models assume that the vaccines have less efficacy than they do and that uptake is going to be lower than it clearly is?

So many mixed messages from the gov. They say should be on track for mid-June but also advisers saying some form of measures for a tie to come. The question is WHAT measures? Basic hand washing? (should be doing that anyway), occasional mask usage?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

One of the independent sage people is absolutely on one at the minute on the news. I’m not in the “nerds wanting to keep us locked down forever” camp, but people like this are part of the reason why that sentiment has risen massively. You’re making a very niche argument if you think step 2 going ahead is a bad move and not being cautious enough.

The same independent sage who were terrified about opening schools to all age groups at once. Even with c 1.5m tests a day, opening it all at once was clearly the right move as cases have continued to fall or at worst remained stable. Independent sage were therefore clearly proven to be wrong on this occasion and this therefore adds more fuel to to the rising sentiment you talk about

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sounds like it’ll be important. Hopefully they present strong data so as not to add anymore worry and concern over the vaccine. 

Yes, read it few minutes ago on the live ticker of our newspaper The Standard which is normally very good informed. it said that they didnt`t find the reason, but the connection, guess we will have to wait and see if there is more info.

50 minutes ago, st dan said:

9BDA956A-BD57-4F90-A4D8-4F1D88EAEF80.thumb.jpeg.7895a3ae0f9751480e9bed6f90e5e592.jpeg

Taken from The Daily Mail (sorry) but surely this is a load of old rubbish. With high population mixing they are forecasting that more people would die per day in July than January, despite the warmer weather, and more importantly the huge vaccination rollout since then. 
Surely the only way this can be given any time of day is if the vaccines aren’t as effective as they are stating ...

Or younger people suddenly start dying from Covid. 

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sounds like it’ll be important. Hopefully they present strong data so as not to add anymore worry and concern over the vaccine. 

Or more importantly reassurance to those who have already had it. Behind every vaccine is a person. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

56 minutes ago, st dan said:

9BDA956A-BD57-4F90-A4D8-4F1D88EAEF80.thumb.jpeg.7895a3ae0f9751480e9bed6f90e5e592.jpeg

Taken from The Daily Mail (sorry) but surely this is a load of old rubbish. With high population mixing they are forecasting that more people would die per day in July than January, despite the warmer weather, and more importantly the huge vaccination rollout since then. 
Surely the only way this can be given any time of day is if the vaccines aren’t as effective as they are stating ...

what is latest data on how effective these vaccines are at preventing infection and death? 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

These figures look great. Did Israel use purely Pfizer jabs? 

If so, then I do wonder if there is genuinely greater concern surrounding the effectiveness of the AZ than they are letting on. 

yes, just pfizer.

Also, doesn't Israel have a young population?

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

looking good in Israel...but at same time they are now past their third wave and did have another lockdown over winter, and they still have to wear masks, even outside...so it's not all vaccines....

It is, it's not coincidence mind that the first place said to potentially be able to travel internationally from May 17th is infact, Israel.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:09 AM, Barry Fish said:

If they don't exempt children from vaccine passports I think there will be a big push back against them.  

The idea I test my young children constantly isnt okay.  The older kids its not so bad but the primary age ones it's pretty upsetting for them.

I want to take my kids to the cinema without having to stick up their nose.  

Sounds like you’re raising a couple of snowflakes mate!

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

looking good in Israel...but at same time they are now past their third wave and did have another lockdown over winter, and they still have to wear masks, even outside...so it's not all vaccines....

When was their 3rd wave? (it's entirely possible I'm being stupid and can't see it!) It seems to be simply the case that as they opened up cases rose a bit but then dropped but not sure it could be classes as a "wave" as such?

image.thumb.png.20a612182437b6734b008d2bc028eece.png

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Has the Israeli vaccination program stalled ? They seem to have been around 50%+ for a while now.

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Just checked and they're doing second doses after 21 days so using their supply completely differently to us also.