When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Worth noting that now we're getting into very low numbers on deaths, we're going to see some anomalies for a downward trend, such as deaths being the same as yesterday (there were 10 deaths yesterday), or even increasing from day to day, since the noise is going to get increasingly loud compared to the signal.

Also there might be under-reporting over the bank holiday weekend, so shouldn't worry too much if it looks like deaths are going up a bit next week.

11 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

So why do we not need to protect people on the tube or in essential or non essential shops, or buses, trains, babers gyms and Tesco? 

Does the virus not spread in those places, or are they going to be subject to social distancing forever? If it's about 'protecting others' are people not worth protecting everywhere? 

I didn't say it shouldn't 

6 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I can only see the need for them for international travel whilst other countries are still working on their vaccine program... for the UK once we have majority jabbed up as per current timeline I'm not seeing the point especially if only being use for certain things but not others..

For example you need passport to go and see the footy but not in the crowded train to get there or the pub you visit afterwards to celebrate/commiserate - it just seems a waste of time but I'm sure some Tory donors are going to make stacks of cash on yet another useless app 😞 

This whole thing just sounds like noise to distract from something else and probably go out in a whimper not to be used once someone else has made loads of money from it IMO

I'll be delighted if you were right regarding it disappearing with a whimper. However I fear that scanning a QR code to attend events is here to stay. 

5 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I'll be delighted if you were right regarding it disappearing with a whimper. However I fear that scanning a QR code to attend events is here to stay. 

Well... technically it's been here already for years. Who has paper tickets these days?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I'd feel a whole lot safer if they linked it to the police and security databases too....

Make it easier to track you if you go on a protest and cause any ‘annoyance.’ And easier for Palantir to sell too. Win win!

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Make it easier to track you if you go on a protest and cause any ‘annoyance.’ And easier for Palantir to sell too. Win win!

Plod will be able to get some lie ins rather than lifting people the following morning, just wait till they check in somewhere and lift them from there.

So far, it looks like schools make more of a difference than outdoor meeting relaxations (as expected). Particularly look at the arrows indicating the daily direction - several boroughs with flat or increasing daily cases on week ago, everywhere falling today compared to the previous night. Very likely to show every borough having a week on week fall next Sunday.

Having said that, the vaccines may well be part of it, as covered by the @BristOliver Twitter thread posted earlier. Interesting to see how cases pan out  in two weeks time with schools back and further vaccinations in the bag.

Either way, deaths are very likely to continue to drop 🙂

0_graph (3).jpg

0_Greater-Manchester-Sunday-4-April-2021.jpg

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It wasn't a popular choice a was condsidered a failure within the country it's choosing to allow people to die that could have been saved. There's structural reasons why it worked for them But wouldn't have worked as well here.itsa built like claiming the UK could have done the NZ and Australia solution when there's differences which mean we could not.

i'm really interested to know what the differences are that stopped the UK following the NZ / Australia method. The only reason that i can see is that the UK government chose money over health.

Now we have the vulnerable vaccinated I think this testing idea sounds like the right one. Catch many cases, not all, but it doesn't matter all that much (by the time real unlocking happens in May anyway)

It also helps with the whole cases going up but hospitalisations staying down - that will help calm a lot of worried people who automatically think cases = lockdowns, when they now don't need to lead to that

Extremely odd that they've briefed vaccine passports all weekend only to land on something sensible - I've long since lost track of the psychological manipulation side of things now. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Go stand at the port of Dover for 5 mins and you will have your answer 

Indeed. 

It is not a source I admit, but it is the best I can do with a quick search- 190,000 seats on flights to Dubai for the month - in January.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9200655/Coronavirus-UK-Britons-Dubai-race-reach-home-todays-1pm-deadline.html

I would be interested to learn how many flights there are to / from the UK in a "normal" day.

16 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Indeed. 

It is not a source I admit, but it is the best I can do with a quick search- 190,000 seats on flights to Dubai for the month - in January.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9200655/Coronavirus-UK-Britons-Dubai-race-reach-home-todays-1pm-deadline.html

I would be interested to learn how many flights there are to / from the UK in a "normal" day.

Worth clicking on the link just for the photo's - but i'm still not seeing any reason.

I'm not advocating either the UK or NZ approaches - just trying to find out why people think the UK couldn't have done things that way.

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Dear me... what do you think is on the lorries...  

I know a lot more about what's in those lorries than you do mate and this is the reason i very rarely ask any specific questions on here because its impossible to get a straight and civil answer. Maybe you should think a bit deeper and longer before typing. 

So how do you think AUS and NZ get stuff into or out of their countries? Do they not have import or export requirements?  I asked why people thought the UK hadn't followed the methods employed by quite a few countries and why it was thought that it couldn't work for the UK and pointing to freight coming in and out is clearly not a reason why it couldn't work. 

Hopefully Neil will reply as he posted the original comment.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Dear me... what do you think is on the lorries...  

And yet Singapore managed to shut the Johor causeway which is one of the busiest crossings in the world. So there is a valid unique difference compared to Oz/NZ, but there are plenty of examples of actions in other countries that worked that were not followed. "What about The Lorries?" is just an excuse for a problem that was never dealt with.    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Your not going to be shut out, your life is just going to become a complete pain in the arse - in sure it's all for a fantastic reason. 

^^ this! I’m don’t give a shit about testing (so long as I pass) to get in to a festival! I’ll give up that civil liberty in a second! 

8 hours ago, El Matador said:

Fair enough. Can we add on criminal records relating to violence and twattish behaviour? 

I’ve always thought that ID cards aren’t a problem unless you’ve got something to hide or you act like a c**t! 

8 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

i'm really interested to know what the differences are that stopped the UK following the NZ / Australia method. The only reason that i can see is that the UK government chose money over health.

The k meedsds people to enter for haulage its not something that happens with nz or aus. 

Edited by eFestivals

Not at all sure about this Covid Certification, do we really need it? We have never seen the need for similar with the flu despite up to 20,000 deaths a year, so are they expecting Covid deaths to be more than that this coming winter? I think they’ve scared the population so much we are meekly accepting any controls on our lives. 

• Upvote 1