When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not sure where this idea that everyone is happy about them is coming from

There was a YouGov poll that everyone's basing that on, but literally 90% of the comments I've seen online since (across a variety of different places and bits of social media) has been against it, even people that were pro-restrictions and pro-vaccine.

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Being straight with people at the start wouldn't have got the lockdown compliance that was needed for lockdown to be effective.

I don’t agree. The people in general were well ahead of the Government last March and the likes of retail footfall were well down before the Government actually Locked things down. And even if you’re right, it doesn’t justify anything beyond a hard hitting message last April.

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

There was a YouGov poll that everyone's basing that on, but literally 90% of the comments I've seen online since (across a variety of different places and bits of social media) has been against it, even people that were pro-restrictions and pro-vaccine.

Always take Yougov with a pinch of salt, the people they poll always manage to be massively supportive of what the Government is planning to do.

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

This comes from nowhere except my own head...but I imagine a lot of people don't really care, they just want this all to go away and for life to get back to normal asap.

18 minutes ago, duke88 said:

I’m on the Novovax trial. What they’ve done with us is extend the trial, and everyone will get the opposite of what they had before (so placebos get the vaccine, and vice-versa). We aren’t being unblinded.

Had my first jab of the second bunch yesterday, and it’s still not been authorised, so won’t show on my NHS records. We get something to show we’ve been on the trial, I’m just a bit concerned it won’t show up if we have to have an app or something.

I'm on the J&J trial. As part of the paper work I gave them my NHS number so it is linked to my medial history and GP. Novavax is probably the same, if you didn't give them your NHS number they can work it out from GP name and your date of birth.

Also If you ask to be unblinded they HAVE to do it. They can't morally not do that.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, steviewevie said:

it's not really an experiment though is it? It's drastic measures taken because they were shit scared of health service being overrun. Maybe they were wrong, maybe they were over the top, maybe they were too much, maybe they weren't enough. Not sure it was some dark experimental conspiracy.

In a parallel universe May is still PM and doing same shit as Johnson, and Johnson is shouting from the side with the other CRGers.

I side with the concerned group of psychologists on this one. They lie and twist and gaslight everything else, of course they have done and are doing about this. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This comes from nowhere except my own head...but I imagine a lot of people don't really care, they just want this all to go away and for life to get back to normal asap.

No, I think you're probably right. Lots of people are willing to go "ah, fuck it, sick of it, let's just do it" when they realise it might be the difference between going to the cinema/the pub or not, but not consider the deeper and more worrying longer term implications of having this in place.

18 minutes ago, duke88 said:

I’m on the Novovax trial. What they’ve done with us is extend the trial, and everyone will get the opposite of what they had before (so placebos get the vaccine, and vice-versa). We aren’t being unblinded.

Had my first jab of the second bunch yesterday, and it’s still not been authorised, so won’t show on my NHS records. We get something to show we’ve been on the trial, I’m just a bit concerned it won’t show up if we have to have an app or something.

Ah right I see. I would hope that it will be similar to the J&J situation, in that once it's been authorised it gets noted on your records that you've had it. They've been really clear throughout that they didn't want to penalise the people taking part in the trials, so hopefully this will extend to whatever the deal is with these passports.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Data not dates. 

There is not one single piece of data that suggests that outdoor mixing will result in a spike in hospitalisations. But yes let's wait 5 weeks to find out what we already know. 

we're not waiting 5 weeks after outdoor mixing...shops open next week.

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we're not waiting 5 weeks after outdoor mixing...shops open next week.

That's a good point, if I get to my parents and it's pissing it down so we can't sit in the garden we can meet up Topshop or whatever shops ain't gone bust. 

We'll be safer there with the great unwashed rather than their living room. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

That's a good point, if I get to my parents and it's pissing it down so we can't sit in the garden we can meet up Topshop or whatever shops ain't gone bust. 

We'll be safer there with the great unwashed rather than their living room. 

they don't want to open too much at same time...and shops take priority because of the economy.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they don't want to open too much at same time...and shops take priority because of the economy.

The only shop the vast majority of people go into is the supermarket which has been open the whole time. Non essential shops with masks and limited numbers are going to have no discernable impact on numbers. 

2 minutes ago, El Matador said:

The only shop the vast majority of people go into is the supermarket which has been open the whole time. Non essential shops with masks and limited numbers are going to have no discernable impact on numbers. 

maybe, hopefully...it's outdoor hospitality opening too....but yeah, hopefully numbers will continue to look good, I expect they will.....and you can argue against this because you know better, and you can just ignore the rules and do what you like, I'm sure you won't be alone..... but in the end this is the roadmap set out by the government.

And they're watching you.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm actually kind of anti vaccine passports..I see why people want them...but I don't think we should have them.

I can only see the need for them for international travel whilst other countries are still working on their vaccine program... for the UK once we have majority jabbed up as per current timeline I'm not seeing the point especially if only being use for certain things but not others..

For example you need passport to go and see the footy but not in the crowded train to get there or the pub you visit afterwards to celebrate/commiserate - it just seems a waste of time but I'm sure some Tory donors are going to make stacks of cash on yet another useless app 😞 

This whole thing just sounds like noise to distract from something else and probably go out in a whimper not to be used once someone else has made loads of money from it IMO

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, El Matador said:

The only shop the vast majority of people go into is the supermarket which has been open the whole time. 

Eh? Normal times would see most shopping centres packed every weekend with people buying non essential items! 

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I don’t agree. The people in general were well ahead of the Government last March and the likes of retail footfall were well down before the Government actually Locked things down. And even if you’re right, it doesn’t justify anything beyond a hard hitting message last April.

U telling people that they weren't at risk if under60would have been a disasteiocjdown. 

I’m for vaccine passports for travel and places of high risk.

But I’m also a bit worried it’s going to be a long time before I even get my first jab... so it doesn’t seem great that I’m likely to get shut out of a lot of things due to no fault of my own. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But I’m also a bit worried it’s going to be a long time before I even get my first jab... so it doesn’t seem great that I’m likely to get shut out of a lot of things due to no fault of my own. 

Thre plan is that testing will get you the same access as vacination would do.

2 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I can only see the need for them for international travel whilst other countries are still working on their vaccine program... for the UK once we have majority jabbed up as per current timeline I'm not seeing the point especially if only being use for certain things but not others..

For example you need passport to go and see the footy but not in the crowded train to get there or the pub you visit afterwards to celebrate/commiserate - it just seems a waste of time but I'm sure some Tory donors are going to make stacks of cash on yet another useless app 😞 

This whole thing just sounds like noise to distract from something else and probably go out in a whimper not to be used once someone else has made loads of money from it IMO

Are vaccine passports the new ‘Operation Moonshot’?

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Another day of significant drops...

Worth noting that now we're getting into very low numbers on deaths, we're going to see some anomalies for a downward trend, such as deaths being the same as yesterday (there were 10 deaths yesterday), or even increasing from day to day, since the noise is going to get increasingly loud compared to the signal.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Your not going to be shut out, your life is just going to become a complete pain in the arse - in sure it's all for a fantastic reason.