When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

September / October is being suggested for the app.

Exactly, so how can we go back to normal by 21 June and then say oh wait actually, never mind the fact you’ve not needed it for 3 months, but now we need these passports to keep it this way?

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is where my head has been at for ages - non socially distanced events were never realistic this year, but I think they did right letting them announce, sell tickets etc to get the money in to at least save those that can be saved 

Not convinced by this logic - are you saying the government knowingly let huge numbers of people (who let’s not forget after the past year a large portion of which will not be financially secure themselves) waste some money to prop up some struggling industries? 

Just now, hodgey123 said:

Exactly, so how can we go back to normal by 21 June and then say oh wait actually, never mind the fact you’ve not needed it for 3 months, but now we need these passports to keep it this way?

We won't and never were going as far as the live events - to most people it will be normal minus their foreign holidays, which is a bit of an easier sell with variants. Its just us who like events that it won't be normal for 

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Not convinced by this logic - are you saying the government knowingly let huge numbers of people (who let’s not forget after the past year a large portion of which will not be financially secure themselves) waste some money to prop up some struggling industries? 

Maybe not knowingly, but by hinting that they might be allowed against all logic and evidence at the time) it's helped

Wait until they tell us its our patrotic duty to go out and spend in May - we'll see how much they care about people's financial state then!  

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

By mid/late summer most people will have been vaccinated and we won't need vaccine passports to go to a pub. Until then I expect they will need to keep social distancing in place.

The government knew this when giving a date of 21 June by which all restrictions - including social distancing - would be lifted. Why would they change this now to social distancing unless we have vaccine passports? 

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

The government knew this when giving a date of 21 June by which all restrictions - including social distancing - would be lifted. Why would they change this now to social distancing unless we have vaccine passports? 

maybe they lied?

maybe I'm wrong?

maybe things change?

21 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Because they don't actually help keep you safe and have never been about keeping you safe?

Surely if it was about keeping you safe it would also be needed for gyms, supermarkets, non essential shops, public transport basically everywhere - but it seemingly isn't going to be needed for everywhere. 

10 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Compliance until some easing. There are so many people seeing each other in gardens and out and about this weekend - I don't think it's a coincidence that they're backtracking on that now . I doubt anything has actually changed but if they'd just said in February the real plan people would've seen it as so far away before any real normality that they may have reduced their compliance at that point.

I agree with @steviewevie - they need to wait til everyone has had two vaccines to remove social distancing. This was always the case, and their timelines and roadmap never made any sense at all. But everyone focused on 21st June for almost 6 weeks despite how illogical it sounded. Job done, people distracted for a bit longer. Now they've moved the carrot a little further into the future, just hold on a little more and you'll get your freedom back.

Unfortunately September is closely followed by the winter flu season, when it's completely unrealistic to begin a fully normal existence due to all the reasons we need to wait til September, that we don't know the vaccines fully work, we don't know if the vulnerable are fully protected until we see out a whole winter with the vaccines in play

I don't think social distancing will end until summer 2022. If we move away from what we want to happen and look at things realistically, there is no other way this can go 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

There is no way a lot of businesses can survive social distancing until the Summer 2022.

I don't think they care - they'll help the ones that fit their ideology (West end theatres etc) and probably see it as a positive if people are steered away from others and set up careers in other, more Tory friendly industries

Edited by efcfanwirral

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe they lied?

maybe I'm wrong?

maybe things change?

Yeah I wasn’t having a go at you. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I started this thinking I could see the merit in the vaccine passports but when you stop and think about the timeline when this will be in place, and try and reconcile that with the roadmap, it just dawns on you that it doesn’t add up or, if the roadmap is still on track, it’ll be a massive waste of time and effort! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Maybe the concept seems to be to try and avoid super spreader event and let life go back to normal in other areas.

The reality is this thing is more likely to spread in a super market before it spreads in a one off theatre  visit.

People are still going to catch it. It makes no sense that you have to be vaccinated or show a negative test... So the unvaccinated person doesn't have it. The vaccinated  people might have have it but nobody will ever know, because they can go about spreading Covid wherever they like because they have been vaccinated and not be tested. It makes zero sense. 

4 hours ago, km9 said:

Sooner than who?

whoever would have been vaccinated on genuine grounds without lying to get it. There's 25 million people mostly in at risk groups still to get the 2nd dose 

Obviously 1 person lying isn't going go to cause any crisis but it's still delaying someone who is higher up the priority list in your local area.

it's probably not a true story anyway

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

People are still going to catch it. It makes no sense that you have to be vaccinated or show a negative test... So the unvaccinated person doesn't have it. The vaccinated  people might have have it but nobody will ever know, because they can go about spreading Covid wherever they like because they have been vaccinated and not be tested. It makes zero sense. 

Vaccinated people are much less likely to spread it.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Vaccinated people are much less likely to spread it.

They are still cable of spreading it though.

The unvaccinated person who has not got the virus is safer for the other people in the venue than the jabbed person in the venue who might be carrying it!

Either let people manage their own risk or require a negative test from everyone. In which case what's the point of checking if they have had the jab anyway! 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter
  • Upvote 1