When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

The circumstance that in Germany AZ is the only available option for all people over 60-yrs now seems to have some positive aspects as Deutsche Tagesschau stated:

The rush for vaccination appointments for over 60-year-olds in North Rhine-Westphalia already led to overloaded lines on the phone and on the Internet early on Saturday morning. While many chose to have their fingers sore in vain, the first successful appointment hunters got their vaccinations on the same day. The group from 60 years of age comes out of the usual sequence after the Standing Vaccination Commission recommended that Astrazeneca no longer use the preparation for younger people. The background is cases of blood clots (thromboses) in cerebral veins. In this way 450,000 vaccine doses were released in the short term in North Rhine-Westphalia alone. According to the Ministry of Health, there are potentially around 3.8 million people between 60 and 79 years of age in NRW who can try to register for this Astrazeneca batch.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, steviewevie said:

Yeah, Kurz made it that he damaged Austrians reputation within the EU, but what did we expect - he is a wandering billboard without university degree and without conscience, more a Public Relation Guy than politician who only goes for the advantages of the EU (so not really pro-eu at the end).

He wanted to get more vaccine for poorer countries (like Bulgaria or the Czech Republic who ordered less Pfizer, more AZ where they have now problems because of the shortfall supply) with the ulterior motives Austria might get more vaccine (because his government has been too stingy and missed the opportunity to get the Johnson and Johnson). Then there had been rumors that Austria would block the next order of Biotech/Pfizer, but austrian government negated these reports.

The result is that we are not getting anything more and the EU countries are not good to speak on us (except Czech Rep because he gave them 30.000 Pfizers for free). So in the end we do get 30.000 less vaccine. The main country who was against the Kurz-Jansa-Babis plans was Italy, but at the end there are so many inner-political motivations and every country goes for its own advantage (Kurz now wants to order the Sputnik V as this would speed up our vaccination schedule approx. to be about one month earlier) that the idea of the EU in this situation seems to have failed.

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Keir Starmer has really messed up any chance of getting the Tories outta office hasn't he. 

I’m not so sure, before the vaccination program the polls were fairly even so it’s fair to assume that when the vaccine bounce passes and financial support is pulled back the polls will tighten again. It’s years out from the next GE and a lot can happen between now and then. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not so sure, before the vaccination program the polls were fairly even so it’s fair to assume that when the vaccine bounce passes and financial support is pulled back the polls will tighten again. It’s years out from the next GE and a lot can happen between now and then. 

But it's clear now that no one is really supporting Keir Starmer, just wanting opposition to Boris Johnson even if there's a investigation into the handling of the pandemic, I'm not so sure I think Keir Starmer represents me, he has just made so many dumb mistakes, pandering to the conservative voters, visiting the church with homophobic ties yesterday, really shows how dumb he can be if he repeats a mistake that Theresa May already made. 

29 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

But it's clear now that no one is really supporting Keir Starmer, just wanting opposition to Boris Johnson even if there's a investigation into the handling of the pandemic, I'm not so sure I think Keir Starmer represents me, he has just made so many dumb mistakes, pandering to the conservative voters, visiting the church with homophobic ties yesterday, really shows how dumb he can be if he repeats a mistake that Theresa May already made. 

But those mistakes you think he's making will be driven by data/research that will show that will be the thing to do. He needs to win over Tory voters to have any hope of getting into government. The public supports a government during a time of national crises or looks for a way to support them hence why the Tories are polling well during the vaccination program. He's in a difficult spot, if he offers no policies now people from the left will criticise; if he comes out with a load of policies some will either criticise that he's doing it in a pandemic or will just ignore it.

I think the comments that some don't know what he stands for to be fair as I can see how that would be unclear to some.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

As a 37 year old millennial I feel obliged to point out "millennial" is not a synonym for "young person", but I'm sure the gen Zs will appreciate this news.

I’m 36 and was hoping our age range would be offered first jabs long before July.

31 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’m 36 and was hoping our age range would be offered first jabs long before July.

It's likely April/May when they start doing 30somethings, depending on how the second doses go. The story's just about the J&J jab, coming later, which I guess they're aiming at younger people who can't be arsed dealing with two jabs.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

It's likely April/May when they start doing 30somethings, depending on how the second doses go. The story's just about the J&J jab, coming later, which I guess they're aiming at younger people who can't be arsed dealing with two jabs.

April is looking unlikely for the 30s, they've not officially started on the 40s yet and this month is mainly about second doses.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure how helpful the J&J jab will be.  It's a bit late in the day coming available in July.  I think it might be a better option for the kids if we do them 

By the sound of it, it'll be used as an option to convince people who don't like the idea a two-dose vaccine for whatever reason to at least get something.

As you say, available in July is a bit late for it to be part of the "main" rollout, given the earlier availability of the other 4, as by then just about everyone will have had the option to book appointments for the two-dose vaccines.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

April is looking unlikely for the 30s, they've not officially started on the 40s yet and this month is mainly about second doses.

Not officially started on the 40s, but anecdotally a decent number are still getting invited and would imagine that'll continue and become official at some point in the next couple weeks.

From the noises coming out of my local centres, it seems the main issue isn't an actual shortage to speak of, it's that they don't know for sure how many doses they're going to have available (and of which product) too far ahead of time - so while they do still end up with a decent capacity for first doses, they're not opening up the appointments for booking until ~5 days before.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Is on J&J going to be viewed as fully vaccinated vs the other 2 jab vaccines I wonder.

Well there's a 50% chance that I've had two doses of the one dose vaccine, so I'm feeling (potentially) very safe 😁

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Thinking from a vaccine passport point of view.

I'd imagine they won't approve it as a one dose vaccine if they would prefer people take two?surely anything approved should work for the vaccine passports 

Edited by efcfanwirral