When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So do I. I don't think there's much chance of us going faster but I also don't know where this idea that it will be slowed down is coming from. Caution is being urged by some but I've seen no indication of us going beyond the dates given personally.

Anxiety! its like when we used to panic because we hadn't got a confirmation email on ticket day, or when we used to fret that our ticket had't been dispatched and would start to imagine all sorts of disaster scenarios (back then that was the worst possible thing we could imagine happening!) 

37 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Surely the fact that there's an increasing amount of cases involving 'other' variants but no significant increase in hospitalisation to coincide with it shows everything is going alright on that front.

That is a good point I hadn't considered 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Anxiety! its like when we used to panic because we hadn't got a confirmation email on ticket day, or when we used to fret that our ticket had't been dispatched and would start to imagine all sorts of disaster scenarios (back then that was the worst possible thing we could imagine happening!) 

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

A year of broken promises, terrible decisions, endless daily doom and gloom has battered people into not believing anything good will happen easily, and that we're constantly being eased in to expect bad news that they're keeping from us. Combined with internet people loving a 'told you so/didn't I predict this months ago??' moment when something goes tits up.

The roadmap's looking spot on and cases are going through the floor. Summer onwards will be really good.

Fair enough I guess. I'm usually more on the anxious side than not, but I do feel optimistic about the roadmap going as planned.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think your mum had her 1st dose after my mum, but is having her second dose before my mum's been contacted for hers- seems a lot of variation regionally regarding how much sooner people are getting their second jab. I still think my mum is better than yours, though. 

I think it's 10 weeks since her first. She didn't get an invite, but found out from a friend that could book it herself.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fair enough I guess. I'm usually more on the anxious side than not, but I do feel optimistic about the roadmap going as planned.

Me too - the roadmap is one thing I'm not sweating about (it's one thing I think the gvt has actually gotten right!) , think others are just itching to have restrictions stopped ASAP and are getting anxious it won't happen

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's 10 weeks since her first. She didn't get an invite, but found out from a friend that could book it herself.

Ah, that would make sense, so maybe the people getting the second jab a bit sooner are doing so via self booking (that's how my sister got hers a week or two quicker). Also the people at the vaccination place said that they had some extra spaces they needed to fill over Easter as people seem to have put off having theirs during the holidays 

Edited by Mr.Tease

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Me too - the roadmap is one thing I'm not sweating about (it's one thing I think the gvt has actually gotten right!) , think others are just itching to have restrictions stopped ASAP and are getting anxious it won't happen

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel too - it's weird to finally have faith in this government to do something right, but I actually do in this case. I think it's because of my anxiety that I find going slower easier. Last summer I was a lot more stressed about the lockdown easing than I am now. The vaccines have made a big difference to my mindset. I think personally having had one has helped, as has seeing loads of people get them at the centre I'm volunteering at.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

When you compare things to last Easter we are in a much better position, we are getting there slowly but surely but it’s much better than it was.

Last Easter was really full on. You should watch that pandemic programme that was on bbc2 last night...it's a bit upsetting, but at same time interesting to see different people's experiences from different parts of the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0993tmy/pandemic-2020

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Last Easter was really full on. You should watch that pandemic programme that was on bbc2 last night...it's a bit upsetting, but at same time interesting to see different people's experiences from different parts of the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0993tmy/pandemic-2020

I was thinking back to last Easter earlier and what it was like. It seems an eternity ago and it all seemed really anxious. I’m glad we are past that and we can look onto better things.

Thanks, I’ll give that a watch. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I was thinking back to last Easter earlier and what it was like. It seems an eternity ago and it all seemed really anxious. I’m glad we are past that and we can look onto better things.

Thanks, I’ll give that a watch. 

I don't think anyone would disagree - last Easter was like Dunkirk, this Easter is like D Day. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well today I finally left my town for the first time in 2021!!!

Went to Southport with the wife and kids.  Beach, Pier (partly closed ffs) and Fish and Chips 🙂   Amazing day. 

Public toilets closed - ffs

Great to be out exploring somewhere other than my local area 😄 

This is it - no going back now - Boris can go fuck himself. 

Off to Heaton Park Manchester on Saturday 😄  FREEDOM!!!! 😛 

Mental health slightly better today 🙂 

Sounds great. We went to my parents and sat in their garden for lunch. It was the first time we’d properly seen them since well before Christmas and it’s also done wonders here. Felt optimistic and hopeful that this shit will end.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think your mum had her 1st dose after my mum, but is having her second dose before my mum's been contacted for hers- seems a lot of variation regionally regarding how much sooner people are getting their second jab. I still think my mum is better than yours, though. 

My mum in Wales got her second dose (Pfizer) about 5 weeks after her first

That chart belowthat leads Dr Robertson to note with caution  "Opening up further will mean that groups not previously in contact will mix meaning new chains of infection" shows about 450 TOTAL cases of the South African variant if I read it right, still a tiny fraction of the total.

If the South African variant does escape the vaccine (in a way that causes hospitalisation), why can't we track, trace and quarantine/isolate a few hundred active cases rather than shutting down a country ?   I know the answer is a combination of "folk don't like being quarantined/can't afford to/are stupid" but that has to be fixable ?

.................................................................................................................................................

14 minutes ago, killyourtv said:

If the South African variant does escape the vaccine (in a way that causes hospitalisation), why can't we track, trace and quarantine/isolate a few hundred active cases rather than shutting down a country ?   I know the answer is a combination of "folk don't like being quarantined/can't afford to/are stupid" but that has to be fixable ?

I'm sure that is what they'd try to do.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Unclear if Drakeford joined them for a drink 🤷‍♂️

Well I believe that Drakeford should shoulder some of the blame for this, his constant pessimistic narrative has not helped morale one bit, it was only a matter of time we’d see scenes like this