When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Plenty of areas in GM that have stubbornly refused to drop cases:

0_graph (5).jpg

Is the death rate falling tho? 

A stubborn/stable case rate and falling hospitalization / death rate would be a really good thing. 

3 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Is the death rate falling tho? 

A stubborn/stable case rate and falling hospitalization / death rate would be a really good thing. 

Oh yeah, heading in the right direction, we even had a zero death day this week, but I wanted to point out that it's not cases dropping like a stone to 9 all over the country.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh yeah, heading in the right direction, we even had a zero death day this week, but I wanted to point out that it's not cases dropping like a stone to 9 all over the country.

Cool.

IMO we will have to live with covid. The vaccines do appear to be doing their job. The NHS will be able to cope and, who knows, the widened awareness of the benefits of hygiene /masks/ distancing etc may reduce the flu death rate to compensate for the new annual covid death rate.

Perhaps that a little too statistical and cold hearted' but it makes me think we are heading to better times. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's the urban band of the north that's got higher case numbers. Most of which was in lockdown when it was running riot all over the south. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

We have a number!!!

Chris Whitty says 25,000 people dead is a price worth paying to go down the pub!

Paywall article I am afraid, so cannot comment on exactly what he said (becasue I cannot see it, and the tweet does not define it).

All I can do is look at the numbers. Is he refering to "Excess Winter Mortality" do you think?  Is this number on top of the five-year average, or part of it?  I could do with more detail - not a helpful tweet (to reference a paywall source). 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/excesswintermortalityinenglandandwales/2018to2019provisionaland2017to2018final#main-points

Does anyone else compare their local case rate to being stood in a packed Pyramid field (bearing in mind that’s probably 20k less than 100k people) and think of how bat shit crazy it is to not be able to get a haircut or go to Clarks to get their child’s feet measured or is it just me?

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Every customer must sign in when pubs reopen

rushing back to the pub ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56608632

I did not think it worked well the last time, other than to enrich "selected companies / individuals" so to speak.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/no-evidence-22bn-test-and-trace-scheme-cut-covid-rates-in-england-say-mps

As in, to be blunt, my understanding of it was that it cost us all a lot of money, made a small fortune for a small select group, and did very little to prevent Covid.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Does anyone else compare their local case rate to being stood in a packed Pyramid field (bearing in mind that’s probably 20k less than 100k people) and think of how bat shit crazy it is to not be able to get a haircut or go to Clarks to get their child’s feet measured or is it just me?

will be able to do those things in less than two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well put 

At least it’s a topical way of thinking about it.

Another way I think of it in perspective is a sold out Wembley (90k so still 10k short) and less than half the players on the pitch having COVID in my LA...

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Yep I said this in this very thread. 

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Another way I think of it in perspective is a sold out Wembley (90k so still 10k short) and less than half the players on the pitch having COVID in my LA...

Do you think your LA should be out of lockdown (so we'll all come round to get our hair cut) or the whole country should be out of lockdown because there are so few cases in your LA?

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It really annoys me when they show a MSOA rate per 100k. MSOA is a statistical unit of geography with a mean population of 7500 I think it is. 

At a national level 100k is fine but at a local level use a different way of showing it. Cases per household or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Do you think your LA should be out of lockdown (so we'll all come round to get our hair cut) or the whole country should be out of lockdown because there are so few cases in your LA?

Where I live had the highest rate the other week it was 167 or something like that which really isn't very high. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Yeah and I think about how the numbers can start to ramp up very very quickly ... looking at our case rate it has more than  doubled in 1 week ... admittedly low numbers ... so now we are 23 cases per 100,000 ... but shows how quickly a small number becomes big ... 

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah and I think about how the numbers can start to ramp up very very quickly ... looking at our case rate it has more than  doubled in 1 week ... admittedly low numbers ... so now we are 23 cases per 100,000 ... but shows how quickly a small number becomes big ... 

Latest Taunton & West Somerset figures 20.6 cases per 100k equates to seven cases in last day, zero admissions to local hospital, zero deaths.

Seems a lot less when you get down to actual numbers. Get down to 

My own Sheffield, like rest of South and West Yorkshire, has seen rates resiliently high (I guess Kent variant reaching it last), but in my own postcode we're seeing hardly any cases, and like Taunton hardly any admissions or deaths.

Cases really not translating into major health problems and pressure on the NHS now.

Daily summary | Taunton Wilton (data.gov.uk)

Edited by killyourtv

42 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

And 9 cases could become 36,000 within a month in an unchecked environment. 

Vaccines change that calculation obviously but it makes absolute sense to be slowly lifting the lid off the pan to make sure it doesn't boil over.

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

It doesn’t take much for cases to double when they are so low. In reality it only needs 2 or 3 households of 4 people to get COVID to double a rate as low as ours.

Definitely nothing to worry about!

Edited by JoeyT