When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Everything you have said here is correct, but one major thing which is being overlooked is the fact that catching Covid naturally and potentially becoming ill is a different risk to weigh up in your mind compared to choosing to have a vaccine and subsequently suffering side effects. 

Yup - it's a personal trolley problem: a train is heading down the tracks and about to kill 5 people, you can flip the switch and have it redirected, where it will only kill one person. We can all look at it logically and know the "right" thing to do, but action rather than inaction always feels different.

But the point is that's just a psychological fallacy. If you're actually weighing up the risks it doesn't enter in to it. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s not that unlikely. To catch the virus you need to come into contact with a carrier, and there will be less carriers going around in the population once more and more of us either have antibodies from infection or have been vaccinated.

The idea of herd immunity is that the small % susceptible are protected from infected because the large % aren’t passing the virus onto them anymore. So the anti vaxxers will be protected, provided that they constitute < 20% of the population 

Scientists talk about herd immunity but then they also talk about how we won't eliminate it and it'll always be there. I've yet to be able to reconcile those two. I think best case though, even with "herd immunity" we reduce it to the level of flu. And yeah, I guess it's possible to go through your life without ever catching flu, it's just really unlikely.

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Nope because she's been able to follow the rules and mitigate the risk to herself as much as she has felt necessary.

Is her plan to continue to take similar precautions after things open up, until she's confident enough to take a vaccine? (Again, not being confrontational, have spoken to a few people in the last few days who want to do just that and I totally respect it as an approach - it makes logical sense. The people I don't understand are the ones that are scared to take the vaccine but have booked tickets for Reading).

26 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yup - it's a personal trolley problem: a train is heading down the tracks and about to kill 5 people, you can flip the switch and have it redirected, where it will only kill one person. We can all look at it logically and know the "right" thing to do, but action rather than inaction always feels different.

But the point is that's just a psychological fallacy. If you're actually weighing up the risks it doesn't enter in to it. 

Scientists talk about herd immunity but then they also talk about how we won't eliminate it and it'll always be there. I've yet to be able to reconcile those two. I think best case though, even with "herd immunity" we reduce it to the level of flu. And yeah, I guess it's possible to go through your life without ever catching flu, it's just really unlikely.

Is her plan to continue to take similar precautions after things open up, until she's confident enough to take a vaccine? (Again, not being confrontational, have spoken to a few people in the last few days who want to do just that and I totally respect it as an approach - it makes logical sense. The people I don't understand are the ones that are scared to take the vaccine but have booked tickets for Reading).

Deleted - concerned I may be spreading disinformation - the vaccine is safe

Edited by efcfanwirral

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

She's already had the vaccine last week hence her worry. 

Not everyone is scared of the virus though it's possible to be more wary of a vaccine than a virus. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I took it as they had a private ceremony before the big shit show of the real thing.  I don't think she ever said she was legally married 3 days before - but for sure left that to be gobbled up by the media.

She said they were married three days befiore the public ceremony. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

She isn't stupid - she has done a hatchet job on them - but I also don't think the rest of it is all just made up because it rings so true to how we know that lot are.

44 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm actually going to go back and delete the things I've said about AZ today. On reflection it's important everyone gets vaccinated as soon as possible, and by talking in this way I may be spreading disinformation and anti vaxx sentiment, which is wrong 

For what it's worth I think your posts were sensible and well-reasoned, even if we disagreed in some areas.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

For what it's worth I think your posts were sensible and well-reasoned, even if we disagreed in some areas.

Appreciate that but it comes from a place of high emotion, and while I'll make my own decisions based on that it's not my place to influence others. The vaccine is deemed safe by relevant authorities and that should be good enough for everyone (including myseilf) 

I'm still extremely concerned about the media reporting misunderstanding the supposed issue but it's a media wide thing, just needs to be left alone, they'll be doing it for a reason 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I took it as they had a private ceremony before the big shit show of the real thing.  I don't think she ever said she was legally married 3 days before - but for sure left that to be gobbled up by the media.

She isn't stupid - she has done a hatchet job on them - but I also don't think the rest of it is all just made up because it rings so true to how we know that lot are.

Lots of stories reporting what she actually said

https://www.google.com/search?q=megan+married+3days+before&oq=megan+married+3days+before&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13l2.22325j0j8&client=tablet-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They had a ceremony a few days before the big wedding.  Why get so Piers Morgan about it all?

• Upvote 1