When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Isn't sputnik basically stolen AZN vaccine anyway?

Stupid Germany.

It’s the J&J first dose, plus a second one with a different adenovirus. China has a few like it too (and a chimp adenovirus like the Oxford one)...to be fair, they have been around since the ‘90s, so they aren’t entirely new technology. 

edit: the commercial side of things though (scaling up for mass production) would be proprietary information, so how everyone has figured that out is anyone’s guess! (Though AZ don’t appear to have fully figured it out yet!)...

Edited by Toilet Duck

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's just the same idea, except done better.

Oxford did actually consider a different vector for dose 2, but their preclinical data suggested that the anti-vector immune response wasn’t a big deal, so they pushed ahead with the one they had. Also wondered whether one dose would do, but again, saw such a good response after the boost, went that way. I think the bottom line is that these approaches work and there’s little difference between them...which is good for all of us! 

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oxford did actually consider a different vector for dose 2, but their preclinical data suggested that the anti-vector immune response wasn’t a big deal, so they pushed ahead with the one they had. Also wondered whether one dose would do, but again, saw such a good response after the boost, went that way. I think the bottom line is that these approaches work and there’s little difference between them...which is good for all of us! 

Is the current thinking that the longer gap working to AZ's advantage is because the immune system just builds up over time, or is there a waning of the anti-vector immune response? I'd assumed the anti-vector thing was a red herring, but was wondering if it's the still in mix.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is the current thinking that the longer gap working to AZ's advantage is because the immune system just builds up over time, or is there a waning of the anti-vector immune response? I'd assumed the anti-vector thing was a red herring, but was wondering if it's the still in mix.

Looks like it’s down to an increase in the immune response really (you’ll remember the antibody titres from the approval submission going up significantly with the longer gap). In the lecture we had recently from one of the Oxford team, he showed their preclinical data on the anti-vector immune response and while there was a small bit, it was insignificant and didn’t really make any odds. He said himself, at the start he thought the Russian approach was the best one, but it turned out theirs worked just fine so they stuck with it.

Don’t post in here much but I had the AZ vaccine on Saturday. I’m 33 with no health conditions so still a bit baffled why I got the letter in the first place but I’m not complaining. 
Felt pretty knackered that evening but other than that and an aching arm for a few days it was fine. Certainly feels like we’re smashing these vaccine targets!

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ah I forgot about Sanur - only spent one night there before getting the boat to Nusa Lembongan for the weekend. Lots of older Australian tourists, felt somewhat like mallorca or somewhere like that, so that makes sense actually!

Ah I miss that travelling life 

Sanur has a lot of Scandinavians and actually tons quieter that the other ‘resorts ‘ , and a good local life too if you stay away from the beach front.  Even on the beach front there are some nice little local warungs . I think 4 or 5 times in Bali and I’ve still avoided Kuta 🙈

nusa lembongen and nusa penida are cool and quieter although gili air is still one of my favourite places . Amed in Bali defo my favourite place but Sanur a good base for me to travel around and see bro :-) 

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Don’t post in here much but I had the AZ vaccine on Saturday. I’m 33 with no health conditions so still a bit baffled why I got the letter in the first place but I’m not complaining. 
Felt pretty knackered that evening but other than that and an aching arm for a few days it was fine. Certainly feels like we’re smashing these vaccine targets!

Excellent news. As a fellow 30 something in Cardiff this gives me great hope that i will be vaccinated soon also

26 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Excellent news. As a fellow 30 something in Cardiff this gives me great hope that i will be vaccinated soon also

I seem to have gotten very lucky as I had it done in Pentwyn Leisure Centre on the 27th March and from 1st April it (apparently) is no longer being used for first doses!

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Sanur has a lot of Scandinavians and actually tons quieter that the other ‘resorts ‘ , and a good local life too if you stay away from the beach front.  Even on the beach front there are some nice little local warungs . I think 4 or 5 times in Bali and I’ve still avoided Kuta 🙈

nusa lembongen and nusa penida are cool and quieter although gili air is still one of my favourite places . Amed in Bali defo my favourite place but Sanur a good base for me to travel around and see bro 🙂

How have they been getting on with covid over there? Expected the worst but haven't seen much about it

15 hours ago, Henrik said:

Texas and Florida are doing better than the states that fully locked down. California have had one of the toughest lockdowns are currently in a right state. 

Maybe lockdowns don't actually work!? There is currently zero evidence to show that they do.

This is just the latest attempt at a talking point from the anti- Lockdown brigade responsible for past hits as “Shield the vulnerable and let it Rip” and “what about Sweden?”

7 day average cases:

Texas: 3359

California: 2631

There is a discrepancy in the deaths currently  (7DA, TX: 103, CA: 176) but you would need to understand the demographics first to use this as evidence. Alternatively the argument is that they are both doing poorly. 

Regardless, whilst California may have been tougher than Texas in parts,  they’ve spent the year chopping and changing rules, swapping between state-wide and regional rules and a tier style system, whilst never committing fully to suppressing the virus (such as with travel restrictions) before trying to reopen.  Adding to this, lock-down seems to be used interchangeably in the US for any restrictions of any type. What a state did from March to May isn’t relevant now compared to what they did for the rest of the year.

Lockdowns clearly work at suppressing the virus but what happens next is what really matters

Just now, xxialac said:

Does anyone have any insights as to when over 40s are likely to be offered the jab?

Early May?

Mid May?

Late May?

Before May even?

Didn’t they say all adults should have had their first jab by the end of June?

So I would guess all over 40s would be done by early May to get the 18-39 years older done by the end of June.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Does anyone have any insights as to when over 40s are likely to be offered the jab?

Early May?

Mid May?

Late May?

Before May even?

Wasn’t somebody on here able to book a jab for someone who was 49 yesterday completely legit through the website? Maybe they will start openly moving through the 40’s early April 

Just now, rascalpete said:

Wasn’t somebody on here able to book a jab for someone who was 49 yesterday completely legit through the website? Maybe they will start openly moving through the 40’s early April 

I'm pretty sure a 40 year old is in the same timing bracket as a 49 year old i.e. they're not moving through them in such a granular way.

Maybe was an error on NHS systems or file marked as having some qualifying characteristic. 

8 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Nice one, although as a 50 something I am a bit jealous of your 30 somethingness.