When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I'd rather get covid than go to a gig with a mask on.

Gigs are one of the few things where wearing a face covering would literally ruin the experience.

I'd probably rather have gigs with masks, than no gigs at all until the powers that be deem it safe enough...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

I'd probably rather have gigs with masks, than no gigs at all until the powers that be deem it safe enough...

Yeah fair, I just consider face coverings ruin the experience. I rarely attend non-essential environments that require them. For example, I wear a mask at Tesco because that’s essential and I’m not exempt nor am I one of those anti-maskers, however when the non essential shops open in two weeks I’ll probably choose not to attend them because doing so would require a face covering. 

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've been getting to meet more than six indoors for weeks cos there's different staff every day in hospital.

That’s the rule of sicks - easily confused.

Hope you’re getting on alright mate!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Barry Fish said:

You can party on the tube with a couple of hundred people shoulder to shoulder but you can't do it in the open air in a field 🙂 

Just in case 😛 

The worst part is it'll probably be allowed by the time the actual events come around, but the government hates that part of the arts so much that they'll see this as an opportunity to crush it by not offering the insurance. Doesn't fit in brexit Britain.

Though reading comments around social media, much of their target audience think its mental that we'd even talk about festivals and that we should wait til after everyone has had two vaccines before we even consider it.

10 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s a bloody brilliant picture of our favourite place that pretty much entirely embodies what we hope for when this shit ends...seems on topic to me!! 

Unfortunately unless the government do something for the festival industry that place in 2022 will be when it actually ends for us music lovers, well those of you with tickets anyway!

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

As expected - I don't think the government will be underwriting anything, and honestly they probably shouldn't

Nothing changed from a few months ago.  I suspect as the weeks go on, we and the organisers will know more. 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:36 PM, Cherry Tree said:

A year ago I wondered whether this pandemic would lead to a change in cultural in Britain. The clapping for the NHS gave me hope that we would have a more empathetic and forgiving society, but the alternative was that it would lead to greater selfishness and what’s in it for me culture.

I think I now know were it is going to go. Just finished my latest shift as a stewarding volunteer at a vaccination centre, and we are suddenly having to challenge younger people who have falsely claimed that they are carers or have an underlying medical condition. This followed a social media blitz that highlighted the vaccination centre as being an "easy target" for people wanting to get under the wire and book appointments. The extent today was 40-50 people being rejected because they were not eligible out of 800 appointments, I had discussions with people arguing things like, the link was on mumsnet, my wife got jabbed two days ago and she was not eligible. My social skills prevented me from screaming " your are lying to skip the queue and have no moral barometer to tell you it is wrong". I was told by the Ops Manager that the Police were called last night as things got so heated.

I know tightening supply and the hope of a return to normality is driving this, but a couple of weeks ago this felt like a rewarding thing to do, now feels like I am dealing with the worst of humanity.

Obviously you can't behave like that, and it's wrong. But... I'm not sure it's all entitlement. I think a lot of this is driven by fear. We're being told things are opening back up again and we can start doing things again and for me and many of my friends our response is "no"  - we're not going to start doing that stuff until we're vaccinated. 

We're clearly not going to therefore try and jump the queue, we'll just stay in. But you can see why people with different pressures on them could act differently. Especially those who may well be forced back to work in the next few weeks before getting vaccinated.

Just imagine for a minute you're not all up on exactly what's been happening. You just see the headlines and have basically been told to stay indoors for the past 12 months as there's a deadly virus out there. And you've been scraping by on furlough. And last week you got a call from the bosses saying they want everyone back in from April 12th as we're going back to normal. Bosses who are all 50+ and vaccinated. 

That might just be a little bit scary?

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, Barry Fish said:

Roadmap also states after June that hands - face - space will remain which is depressing.  The doves and nerds keep saying we can't control this just with vaccines.

I am starting to think life will never be normal again.

Okay I'll bite - which of not having to wash your hands, being able to regularly stroke your beard, and being able to get in other people's space are you desperate to have back?

21 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The mind boggles how you get something like Glastonbury on without just being comfortable about removing all restrictions.

I think it being outdoors will make a huge difference.

I actually think the real fight is going to come with standing arena gigs - there will be pushback on those from both government and punters on the basis that the "show" is no different if people are seated or standing. So it's unnecessary to have the extra risk of people crammed in standing. Explaining that difference is going to be tough (and there's precedent: live sport already lost that battle).

21 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think there is a working presumption it would be jab OR testing...

But although the jab cuts the transmission chances down by 1/3 to 2/3 - its not 100% and so could still spread.

What a shit show to unpick! 

Yeah this "jab or test" makes zero sense to me. The vaccine cuts transmission to the point that it's really useful from the perspective of wider spread, but it's not enough to make it safe. So vaccinated people can still spread it to unvaccinated people in that environment. Or to other vaccinated people for whom the vaccine is ineffective. 

On 3/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, Barry Fish said:

Those contracts won't be released.  Talking so openly about your terms and conditions / prices / delivery schedules could have knock on effects with other vaccine suppliers and other nations.

If you have any business brain about you  - you should know this.  Its never going to happen.   

It's been released this is it: https://www.contractsfinder.service.gov.uk/Notice/SupplierAttachment/77bb967f-0194-452a-bdae-9999aecc753d

Same "best efforts" clause as the UK one.

Edited by DeanoL

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Okay I'll bite - which of not having to wash your hands, being able to regularly stroke your beard, and being able to get in other people's space are you desperate to have back?

I think it being outdoors will make a huge difference.

I actually think the real fight is going to come with standing arena gigs - there will be pushback on those from both government and punters on the basis that the "show" is no different if people are seated or standing. So it's unnecessary to have the extra risk of people crammed in standing. Explaining that difference is going to be tough (and there's precedent: live sport already lost that battle).

Yeah this "jab or test" makes zero sense to me. The vaccine cuts transmission to the point that it's really useful from the perspective of wider spread, but it's not enough to make it safe. So vaccinated people can still spread it to unvaccinated people in that environment. Or to other vaccinated people for whom the vaccine is ineffective. 

It's not about elimination of risk, just reducing it. A vaccinated person will have a low enough risk in that situation.

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Obviously you can't behave like that, and it's wrong. But... I'm not sure it's all entitlement. I think a lot of this is driven by fear. We're being told things are opening back up again and we can start doing things again and for me and many of my friends our response is "no"  - we're not going to start doing that stuff until we're vaccinated. 

We're clearly not going to therefore try and jump the queue, we'll just stay in. But you can see why people with different pressures on them could act differently. Especially those who may well be forced back to work in the next few weeks before getting vaccinated.

Just imagine for a minute you're not all up on exactly what's been happening. You just see the headlines and have basically been told to stay indoors for the past 12 months as there's a deadly virus out there. And you've been scraping by on furlough. And last week you got a call from the bosses saying they want everyone back in from April 12th as we're going back to normal. Bosses who are all 50+ and vaccinated. 

That might just be a little bit scary?

I have sympathy with your position because you take it from an educated place - you've balanced your own risks based on the actual information at hand

But I have no sympathy at all with those who live on headlines or bury their heads in the sand when there's something actually serious going on in the world that directly affects their lives. 

I know the news depresses some people but apart from those with genuine problems in that area where it would push them over the edge, I don't get how it's possible to live so obliviously. I know people who do and it astounds me every time I speak to them 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

It's not about elimination of risk, just reducing it. A vaccinated person will have a low enough risk in that situation.

But an unvaccinated person with a negative test won't?

If a 30% reduction in risk is all we're after (ie. how much the vaccines stop transmission) it's certainly a lot easier as we can use the fast tests that only identify 30% of the cases too!