When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

"Hands, Face, Space" wasn't brought in until the summer (Face coverings were advised against initially)

I'd like to see hand shaking make a come back post June. In a business meeting, it's a warm method of greeting someone and letting them know they can trust you. Most people who suggest otherwise I'm guessing don't attend many business meetings.

Wow, I was sure it was the first thing but I was wrong.

I attend plenty of business meetings and shaking hands adds some value but it's pretty marginal compared to the health benefits of not. Also shook hands with plenty of suppliers who it turns out couldn't be trusted!

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its going to be so risky to try and live life without the vaccine.   Always running the risk of losing a booking / holiday etc.  

Imagine losing a holiday off the back of a false positive test! 

Also: the actual risk of getting COVID! You might not die from it but there's a good chance it still ruins your holiday!

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Wow, I was sure it was the first thing but I was wrong.

I attend plenty of business meetings and shaking hands adds some value but it's pretty marginal compared to the health benefits of not. Also shook hands with plenty of suppliers who it turns out couldn't be trusted!

I attend plenty of business meetings and would be perfectly happy if shaking hands never came back. 

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I attend plenty of business meetings and would be perfectly happy if shaking hands never came back. 

100% agree with that! I work for a Japanese company & bows are a perfectly acceptable alternative 😂

21 minutes ago, Boilingtent said:

Training being one factor. Several graduates at my work have told me they are finding it almost impossible to learn efficiently.

My girlfriend changed jobs start of March 2020, was a promotion within the same company into a different department covering maternity leave for 15 months. 

She had under two weeks with the lady she was covering before lockdown kicked in and she had to learn the job (the parts she didn't know) all over MS Teams whilst the dept was understaffed, everything in general chaos and not able to get hold of managers to help her because they were constantly on MS Teams calls about COVID.

Whilst she has managed to cover it adequately, there was a point last year where she was struggling and a lot of it related to the training she got over MS Teams, a lot of it from people who didn't really know how to use video calling as a way of training and had just been left to it in terms of figuring out the best way to deliver it.

Whilst she accepts its just how it was and was unfortunate timing for her, it did highlight that working from home isn't for everyone (employees and trainers) and in my opinion we aren't quite there yet in terms of inducting new people into jobs just from remote working.

As a side point, my manager can't seem to grasp screen sharing and when we are in meetings with her leading she sends an email with the document she's referring to so everyone can see what she's talking about, this is someone in their mid-30s and whilst we had a good old laugh about it each time to me it just shows that there a lot of younger 'luddites' knocking about.  Our office has now started offering training on how to utilise such platforms (MS Teams mainly) as a lot of people seem keen to work from home, but don't seem to be able to work like they are in the office which long term to me would need to be a big requirement we can't keep using the excuse of 'Remote working due to COVID' for things getting done slower forever!

Edited by gooner1990

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I find it hard to accept shaking hands is a big spreader.  It doesn't make much sense.  Its an airborne virus.  99.9% of infections are going to be via that route.  I get the theoretical risks but in the real world the virus has to work hard and have a lot of luck to spread that way. 

I guess its bringing you closer to someone - but its that not the contact where the real risk is.  Spread via contact with surfaces is an overblown route.  Its very hard for the virus to travel that route.

There's a difference between the research showing it doesn't stick around for long on fomites, and actual touching other people. I mean, otherwise they would be telling us to hold our breath while we hug!

Essentially, if an infected person touches their face and doesn't was their hands before shaking hands with you, it's then on your hands - and if you touch your space it can spread. 

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Our office has now started offering training on how to utilise such platforms (MS Teams mainly

Honestly I am not old an when MS Teams came along I was adrift. Never thought I'd be one of those luddites but here I am. 

However going on training has really helped. 

In terms of not learning as much over teams for induction do you think that this is something that will improve over time? 

Certainly for some of the training i deliver we'll never go back to sole face to face as online gets way more engagement. We just need to make the content better as just replicating PowerPoint slides doesn't work.

It all makes sense in the context of work, but my advice for those who hate working from home from a quality of life point of view is try it when life is back to normal. When you can do things in the evening without the commute etc. So much more time 

But then i hated working in an office, hated being around idiots all day, had no care at all for work and only care about my life surrounding it. 100% working to live. Though now freelancing I work probably more, it's at the times I'm productive and without distractions every few minutes to talk about the work I could possibly be doing instead of sat in meetings saying what I'm going to do

Edited by efcfanwirral

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It all makes sense in the context of work, but my advice for those who hate working from home from a quality of life point of view is try it when life is back to normal. When you can do things in the evening without the commute etc. So much more time 

But then i hated working in an office, hated being around idiots all day, had no care at all for work and only care about my life surrounding it. 100% working to live. Though now freelancing I work probably more, it's at the times I'm productive and without distractions every few minutes to talk about the work I could possibly be doing instead of sat in meetings saying what I'm going to do

That’s good advice for anyone that is struggling with it. It will add a new dynamic to remote working when we can do more in the evenings. 

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

have finally got my laptop but will still mostly use my phone.

but without a mouse (have got the mouse working now) so will still have imperfect spelling

That's OK mate. I've started to think of your spelling as being like Les Dawson's piano playing.

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ys very true it's much easier when you have social contact from other things like meeting friends, going to the gym, gigs etc. I think many people will go to an office half the time and work from home the rest. I personally started working from home before the pandemic and given a choice my ideal would be 3 days at home 2 in an office but as my office is in Barcelona that's not really viable and even if I went there most of the people I deal with aren't there anyway so I would still be on teams and skype most of the time. 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If we follow Israel's pattern we may see a slight rise in cases for a few weeks (maybe even a month or two) before a final, sustained drop again as vaccines continue to crush down the R rate.

Edited by Mellotr0n

Just now, Mellotr0n said:

If we follow Israel's pattern we may see a slight rise in cases for a few weeks before a drop again as vaccines continue to crush down the R rate.

does our timing follow theirs then ? did they open schools at the same point ? not doubting just curious ...... the easter break should provide a small firebreak ... but we get the group of 6 which might cause a rise too .... 

2 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

If we follow Israel's pattern we may see a slight rise in cases for a few weeks (maybe even a month or two) before a final, sustained drop again as vaccines continue to crush down the R rate.

I think it's all about the hospitalisations and deaths figure as well going forward isn't it?

Providing those don't start stalling / increasing then we're on a good track.

Positive cases amongst those who are at very minimal risk is the ideal scenario.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

does our timing follow theirs then ? did they open schools at the same point ? not doubting just curious ...... the easter break should provide a small firebreak ... but we get the group of 6 which might cause a rise too .... 

Let's not forget the rule of 6 is outside where there isn't much more of an increase to where we're at now to be honest.

Also, mixing in groups of this size has been happening a lot already so I personally don't think it will have much of an affect.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Let's not forget the rule of 6 is outside where there isn't much more of an increase to where we're at now to be honest.

Also, mixing in groups of this size has been happening a lot already so I personally don't think it will have much of an affect.

it won't be anything like that of schools I would agree ... might be slight 🙂 .... looks positive so far ..... and in terms of freedom shielding is ending too ... so that helps quite a lot of people to start to regain some normality too ... 6 million ?