When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Apparently a lot of films have had release dates brought forward today (Kong v Godzilla being the first blockbuster after the May reopening). Hopefully that’s a good sign of things improving.

I put it in the politics thread but Johnson seemed to be playing to the crowd in front of him, telling them exactly what they want to hear - we’re vaccine awesome; shut up, BBC etc.

6 minutes ago, plaskins said:

Is that so the hedgehogs can have a midnight candle lit dinner?

No,  it's for the squirrels.  Grey ones, not red unfortunately.  And sometimes the urban foxes pop in for a night cap. It's a mixed crowd.

• Upvote 1

Mask compliance is excellent at our school. We have around 40 kids out of 1200 who are legitimately exempt from wearing masks. In lessons and walking around, the kids are great. You have to remind some of the more, erm, ‘lively’ students to pull it up over their noses but they understand, overall. 

I can only speak for my school but saying that 50% of kids in school aren’t wearing masks is a touch hyperbolic. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Mask compliance is excellent at our school. We have around 40 kids out of 1200 who are legitimately exempt from wearing masks. In lessons and walking around, the kids are great. You have to remind some of the more, erm, ‘lively’ students to pull it up over their noses but they understand, overall. 

I can only speak for my school but saying that 50% of kids in school aren’t wearing masks is a touch hyperbolic. 

I guess each school will have significant differences in the numbers  wearing them ... my local Sainsbury’s I’ve not seen a single colleague without ... my shop I think we are at 70% maybe ... so there will be an element of I’m not doing this because my mates aren’t and that will spread . I’ve lost all concept for the reasons people don’t wear them to be honest because of some telling me they can’t because of asthma and many other things ... they aren’t fun and I’ll be glad to see the back of them but for now it’s necessary ... and the only reason I can see people that shouldn’t be wearing them is that they cause severe distress ?! 

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Jab the kids

If the aim is to cut transmission rather than to protect against disease, then I would have thought it would be worth waiting for the second generation vaccines given the pitiful showing from the AZ vaccine against the SA variant.

EDIT: having said that, the timelines might just line up.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If everyone in groups 1 to 9 have had a vaccine and they all required another one within a 12 week window - surely we have to keep going at least at the same pace to do that.

I am finding it confusing why we need less people ?   Are we potentially going to make people wait longer than the 12 weeks? or do we have a bit of head room on that?

This is very imprecise beer mat maths, with a dozen holes that can be poked in it, but -

As of right now, 2.36 million people have received a second dose. We exceeded that number of 1st doses on 11th January, so it's likely that the bulk of people vaccinated prior to that have now had their second dose already. Which on a 12 week window, if the numbers translated exactly, would mean the second dose rollout is "done" as far as 5th April.

Remember that the rollout in January started slow and increased from there - it was late Jan before we started to see 400,000+ days and so second doses will need to broadly match that pattern.

Now obviously it doesn't work exactly like that, as some of the people will have had second doses ahead of the official (10-12 week gap) schedule - especially for Pfizer recipients where the extended gap is more about consistency and improving coverage rather than an efficacy benefit, and where doses are being issued when possible due to lower availability. But still there's enough there to suggest we don't have a significant number of second doses "needed" in the next two weeks and the ones that are done will mostly be on a 10 week gap rather than 12.

Got my second volunteering shift tomorrow so will see how busy it is compared with last week. I did notice on the MS Teams group I'm in for SJA volunteers that they cancelled a bunch of shifts this week at another centre due to a low number of appointments. Not sure what to make of that!