When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Yeah agreed. A study came out in the US where the AZ vaccine was found to prevent 79% of symptoms and 100% of serious illness + hospitalisation. Thats real world. 

I don't see us having a 3rd wave.

I would say I don't see us having a real 3rd wave. I can see is possible us having a noticeable increase in positive tests... which are not the same as cases for me. We are at the mercy of the possible hysteria that may ensue. Even though nobody is getting seriously ill. 

41 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That isn't going to happen.  
People will snap back to normal as quickly as allowed too.  Human nature isn't going to be altered by a year long shit show.

We act like this is the first time this has happened and its bollocks.  Its not the first virus to disrupt society.  We will rebound back to normal one day - its just working out how long off that is.

People who claim this will change us forever need a slap around the head with the reality stick.

The snowflake who thinks we should nuke Germany thinks I need a slap with the reality stick. 

Also worth noting that the rest of Europe wouldn’t be on the brink (if not in the midst of) of a 3rd wave if they hadn’t relaxed restrictions like the majority of them have done. 
Feels like we really got a hold of this by ensuring strict restrictions were in place until the most vulnerable (those in groups 1-9) were vaccinated. Means we have been able to get on top of this rather than chasing our tails. None of us have enjoyed this 3 months lockdown, but it’s saved tens of thousands of lives both in the short and long term. 

Edited by st dan

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

There's little wonder why the USA has such an obesity problem...

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast last week and he was saying how odd it is that such little emphasis has been put on getting your shit together if you're obese when COVID clearly causes more trouble to those who are unfit / unhealthy.

Obviously this isn't the case for everyone due to age and so on but the fact very few people would have helped themselves during this and have simply relied on the scientists to create vaccines to put them at less risk really is something to behold isn't it...

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

So does this mean we should expect some formal nod that Step 1 is happening next Monday as we are a week out? Is there a press conference today? 

Actually I think it's a week before April 12th they'll start saying whether it can Happen

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

So does this mean we should expect some formal nod that Step 1 is happening next Monday as we are a week out? Is there a press conference today? 

When the roadmap was announced, both parts of Step 1 on 8th and 29th March were given as firm dates - it's only April onwards that "not before" became part of the wording. So on paper there shouldn't need to be any formal confirmation.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast last week and he was saying how odd it is that such little emphasis has been put on getting your shit together if you're obese when COVID clearly causes more trouble to those who are unfit / unhealthy.

Obviously this isn't the case for everyone due to age and so on but the fact very few people would have helped themselves during this and have simply relied on the scientists to create vaccines to put them at less risk really is something to behold isn't it...

yeah, but once you're vaccinated...who cares!

28 minutes ago, st dan said:

Also worth noting that the rest of Europe wouldn’t be on the brink (if not in the midst of) of a 3rd wave if they hadn’t relaxed restrictions like the majority of them have done. 
Feels like we really got a hold of this by ensuring strict restrictions were in place until the most vulnerable (those in groups 1-9) were vaccinated. Means we have been able to get on top of this rather than chasing our tails. None of us have enjoyed this 3 months lockdown, but it’s saved tens of thousands of lives both in the short and long term. 

I said the other day but it’s funny how things change, just a few weeks ago people were complaining that our lockdown was the strictest in the world and now we are nearing the end of that lockdown we are seeing the opposite. 

From BBC live feed

Analysis: Why has Boris Johnson warned of third wave from Europe?

7507ee81-eab7-48cb-bebe-cbb8f78ce3ca.jpg

Iain Watson

Political correspondent

The prospect of a third coronavirus wave won’t engulf anyone with joy.

So why did Boris Johnson highlight this danger today?

Privately and publicly, ministers are making it clear that they don’t want to delay the dates in England’s roadmap out of lockdown.

There will be a vote in Parliament on coronavirus restrictions later this week.

So by stressing the risk that the virus still poses, the PM may be hoping to convince restless backbenchers that he can’t go any quicker.

He may also be trying to persuade vaccinated people with itchy feet that booking spring or summer holidays would still be premature.

He is preparing us too for the strong possibility that cases could rise in the coming weeks - not just because of any cases that may sneak in from the EU, but because rules here are being slowly relaxed.

But by stressing the shared threat from the coronavirus - i.e. the sooner the EU population is vaccinated, the less chance of importing a third wave - his comments could be also be clearing the way for more UK/EU vaccine co-operation, and the dousing down of an inflammatory row with Brussels.

25 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think partly because exercise is much more difficult at the moment. No gym, no sports... while the COVID risk should make it an easier sell, the fact that there's a relatively limited number of exercise options available probably cancels that out.

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

From BBC live feed

Analysis: Why has Boris Johnson warned of third wave from Europe?

7507ee81-eab7-48cb-bebe-cbb8f78ce3ca.jpg

Iain Watson

Political correspondent

The prospect of a third coronavirus wave won’t engulf anyone with joy.

So why did Boris Johnson highlight this danger today?

Privately and publicly, ministers are making it clear that they don’t want to delay the dates in England’s roadmap out of lockdown.

There will be a vote in Parliament on coronavirus restrictions later this week.

So by stressing the risk that the virus still poses, the PM may be hoping to convince restless backbenchers that he can’t go any quicker.

He may also be trying to persuade vaccinated people with itchy feet that booking spring or summer holidays would still be premature.

He is preparing us too for the strong possibility that cases could rise in the coming weeks - not just because of any cases that may sneak in from the EU, but because rules here are being slowly relaxed.

But by stressing the shared threat from the coronavirus - i.e. the sooner the EU population is vaccinated, the less chance of importing a third wave - his comments could be also be clearing the way for more UK/EU vaccine co-operation, and the dousing down of an inflammatory row with Brussels.

OR

By constantly talking European countries down and how much they're suffering/potentially infecting us, he is implicitly praising the UK and how well we're doing in order to gain popularity/votes.