When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

though im trying not to count chickens. Even if we assume that the end state of this is that we are basically let out of prison except for foreign travel (which I could just about live with,) and that the Government and the sensible advisers tell the lunatic   "social distancing and masks until the Plague has been driven from every last village" nerd brigade to take a running jump, then I not sure if i can place too much faith in the provisional unlocking timetable.

It'll only take SPI-M to churn out one worrying computer projection and we could all be locked up for weeks or months extra 'Just in Case'. April 12th looks baked in, but I'm not going to get excited about any of the remaining restrictions after that being binned until it actually happens.

Edited by zahidf

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

though im trying not to count chickens. Even if we assume that the end state of this is that we are basically let out of prison except for foreign travel (which I could just about live with,) and that the Government and the sensible advisers tell the lunatic   "social distancing and masks until the Plague has been driven from every last village" nerd brigade to take a running jump, then I not sure if i can place too much faith in the provisional unlocking timetable.

It'll only take SPI-M to churn out one worrying computer projection and we could all be locked up for weeks or months extra 'Just in Case'. April 12th looks baked in, but I'm not going to get excited about any of the remaining restrictions after that being binned until it actually happens.

Are they mask less though ? Does that count as a restriction ? Or just an enabler to getting back to normality ? 

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The kids are saying the masks are making it worse.  You just have to listen.

I am not angry usually.  Although muzzling kids with little justification does make me angry.

Kids I've spoken with, which admittedly isn't that many of mask wearing age are certainly more concerned with a lack of things to do than with mask wearing, sports starting back up for 11-17 year old is the big one they are excited for at the start of April. (I'm in Scotland.)

Are you aware that they aren't actually wearing muzzles but simply a face covering?

As I said I think that you are right that they are probably reaching the end of the point were they are necessary but your ranting at "muzzles" makes you sound foolish and if anything puts people on the opposite side of the argument from you.

I’m a bit lost today with all this news. On the one hand, we’re looking to the summer with massive optimism, vaccines are looking great and data from Israel seems to suggest it’s exactly what we’re hoping for. Reading about Japan looking like they will opt in to vaccine passports to unlock international even made me feel hopeful for my trip there this winter. Then there’s pieces like this...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56475807

International travel restrictions are one thing, and as gutting as they would be for the rest of the year (and I don’t personally think there will be a blanket ban), I can at least understand why, possibly, it could be the case. But suggesting we’ll still be socially distancing for “years”, let alone beyond the summer, on the backdrop of all this positive vaccine news is just baffling. Is this part of the govt plan to ease the news to us that we’re never getting out of this shit? Comments being taken out of context by the media? One lunatic scientist doom mongering? 

When people say what are you most looking forward to post-Covid, the answer rapidly rising up my list is not having to deal with this mindfuck news cycle anymore. Ive kept a relatively even keel this past year, but I’ve gone from reading about Latitude happening in July to social distancing remaining for years in the space of 24 hours.

Edited by jparx

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I’m a bit lost today with all this news. On the one hand, we’re looking to the summer with massive optimism, vaccines are looking great and data from Israel seems to suggest it’s exactly what we’re hoping for. Reading about Japan looking like they will opt in to vaccine passports to unlock international even made me feel hopeful for my trip there this winter. Then there’s pieces like this...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56475807

International travel restrictions are one thing, and as gutting as they would be for the rest of the year (and I don’t personally think there will be a blanket ban), I can at least understand why, possibly, it could be the case. But suggesting we’ll still be socially distancing for “years”, let alone beyond the summer, on the backdrop of all this positive vaccine news is just baffling. Is this part of the govt plan to ease the news to us that we’re never getting out of this shit? Comments being taken out of context by the media? One lunatic scientist doom mongering? 

When people say what are you most looking forward to post-Covid, the answer rapidly rising up my list is not having to deal with this mindfuck news cycle anymore. Ive kept a relatively even keel this past year, but I’ve gone from reading about Latitude happening in July to social distancing remaining for years in the space of 24 hours.

I guess there is a spectrum of outcomes from this...but with vaccines being so effective I definitely think we're heading towards the more optimistic range...but just need the whole world to get vaccinated as much as poss. I don't think we'll be back to total normal this year, but hopefully in a year or two, when under control globally, we will be..

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know I've been very negative about the roadmap, but I haven't even really looked beyond this summer, I haven't really considered the things that article has said. But if that was to be the case, it'll be a cycle of hope, release, restrictions. We'd never be told outright. So worryingly it would probably look exactly as things look now. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

14 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Kids I've spoken with, which admittedly isn't that many of mask wearing age are certainly more concerned with a lack of things to do than with mask wearing, sports starting back up for 11-17 year old is the big one they are excited for at the start of April. (I'm in Scotland.)

Are you aware that they aren't actually wearing muzzles but simply a face covering?

As I said I think that you are right that they are probably reaching the end of the point were they are necessary but your ranting at "muzzles" makes you sound foolish and if anything puts people on the opposite side of the argument from you.

yeah, my kid doesn't like wearing masks all day, does her head in, but this isn't her no.1 problem...and she's been through all the self harming thing herself....for her, it's still stress from exams etc....they've had it drummed into them how success at school is so important and she dreads failure.

When does a president's behaviour towards their own people warrant some kind of international intervention? No idea what it would look like but the quotes and numbers in that Guardian article are crazy. And with the cases at record levels it won't get better any time soon. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I know I've been very negative about the roadmap, but I haven't even really looked beyond this summer, I haven't really considered the things that article has said. But if that was to be the case, it'll be a cycle of hope, release, restrictions. We'd never be told outright. So worryingly it would probably look exactly as things look now. 

I do appreciate the issues that are raised and I’m not expecting things to be back to normal with a click of the fingers, but I just don’t see why they would mean we’re still bound by social distancing restrictions this time next year? Or even further in the future. Am I massively missing something? If the UK is jabbed up by late summer, we know the vaccines work, and there’s no major mutations, what’s the issue? I get international travel and accept the question marks around it, but why are we not back to gigs, sport events, travelling freely without restrictions in the UK at the very least? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I do appreciate the issues that are raised and I’m not expecting things to be back to normal with a click of the fingers, but I just don’t see why they would mean we’re still bound by social distancing restrictions this time next year? Or even further in the future. Am I massively missing something? If the UK is jabbed up by late summer, we know the vaccines work, and there’s no major mutations, what’s the issue? I get international travel and accept the question marks around it, but why are we not back to gigs, sport events, travelling freely without restrictions in the UK at the very least? 

There is absolutely 0 chance that people would comply with much more than face masks once the UK population have been vaccinated. Lockdown compliance now is already fatiguing massively imo. If the government were to push back the roadmap, or try and keep restrictions for ‘years’ (ridiculous to even speculate btw - who would’ve thought we’d be here a year later for example?) without clear evidence of massively increased illness/death, there would be a massive backlash and all trust would be gone for any future restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I agree, it seems to be the fear of variants that's driving this. I just don't see that many of the scientists, that to be fair predicted things pretty well up to now e.g. the winter wave, saying we're back to forever normality in June. It's always a more cautious tone, which makes me suspicious of the government's "full normality" claims. 

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

There is absolutely 0 chance that people would comply with much more than face masks once the UK population have been vaccinated. Lockdown compliance now is already fatiguing massively imo. If the government were to push back the roadmap, or try and keep restrictions for ‘years’ (ridiculous to even speculate btw - who would’ve thought we’d be here a year later for example?) without clear evidence of massively increased illness/death, there would be a massive backlash and all trust would be gone for any future restrictions. 

If the government orders the pubs shut, then they're shut. If a festival doesn't get a licence, it doesn't go ahead.

Informal outdoor gatherings are hard to police, but official, organised stuff - those will stay restricted exactly as long as the government say it will. Public compliance doesn't really come into it.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I agree, it seems to be the fear of variants that's driving this. I just don't see that many of the scientists, that to be fair predicted things pretty well up to now e.g. the winter wave, saying we're back to forever normality in June. It's always a more cautious tone, which makes me suspicious of the government's "full normality" claims. 

I think people are generally accepting that the road map could slip, but a slip of a month or two, not the rest of the year. We keep seeing data that lockdown compliance is high, which I’m not sure I entirely trust (or I live in a particularly rebellious area..), but it will drop through the floor if we’re asked to keep these things up because of, essentially, hypotheticals. Especially if we also can’t travel internationally.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I guess because we are over-sensitive to death by Covid, which despite the vaccination success can never be perfect in preventing illness and death.

The population will need to be weaned off its obsession with the disease and have to accept death rates to continue, as we do with the flu. It won’t be easy to change attitudes. Any level of death rate and there will always be some Sage scientist advising restrictions and pressurising the government. 

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think people are generally accepting that the road map could slip, but a slip of a month or two, not the rest of the year. We keep seeing data that lockdown compliance is high, which I’m not sure I entirely trust (or I live in a particularly rebellious area..), but it will drop through the floor if we’re asked to keep these things up because of, essentially, hypotheticals. Especially if we also can’t travel internationally.

I can't think of a single person I know that would be accepting of the road map slipping by a month or so. 

There is literally not one piece of data that suggests that any delay is required. If anything, all the data suggests that we can accelerate lifting restrictions.