When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Remember Chris Whitty said that for the 2 weeks after schools reopen cases will rise it’s all normal. It’s what happens after that will be important. 

Plus, if you're testing pretty much every 11-18-year-old in the country twice a week, it's inevitable you're going to pick up plenty of asymptomatic cases. Which is good, as it stops the spread. I've been pleasantly surprised that cases are still falling, despite schools returning, and the massive amount of testing going on.

6 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Plus, if you're testing pretty much every 11-18-year-old in the country twice a week, it's inevitable you're going to pick up plenty of asymptomatic cases. Which is good, as it stops the spread. I've been pleasantly surprised that cases are still falling, despite schools returning, and the massive amount of testing going on.

Yeah tests are 1.6 million. I think it's encouraging its going down after schools reopened.

Sorry all, but I believe there should be absolute and thorough transparency about possible side effects. It now is confirmed (BBC website) that we have also had incidences of the rare form of blood clot CSVT here and the EMA are saying a link cannot be ruled out. Could this batch we are now re-testing be from the same one in other countries? However, the risk is still extremely low, 5 cases out of 11,000,000 so the benefits do obviously strongly outweigh the risks and this needs to be explained in a more ‘grown up’ way whilst separating it away from politics. I understand that individual countries made the decision to pause (not the EU/EMA/WHO) whilst UK didn’t. I don’t believe it’s political -it’s individual regulatory bodies acceptance of risk, investigation and raising awareness - as it should be

D80DB94F-C80E-41F3-902E-602A44C2CBFD.jpeg

97013025-8A14-4505-A624-CC6067ADBA6A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Having previously had o I'd gives similar protection as the vaccine. 

I'm afraid that I don't understand that statement. Not in a technical way to do with the content. I just can't make head nor tail of it. Mind you I've just had a large smoke, so there's got to a good chance that the issue lies at this end. However, I might be wrong. It is a 'thing' with me.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Yep, it’s too early to say for sure whether there will be a spike or not but I think if it was going to be a flat our December 2.0 level disaster, we’d at least have some indication coming through by now.

Thing is we need to consider the following:

- Virus prevalence in the UK is at its lowest level in a long time, so relatively few pupils will be carrying the virus in to start with

- Pupils are being tested twice a week, so those tests should identify most of the carriers and screen them out of school for 10 days to prevent them spreading the virus. Obviously the tests aren’t 100% accurate so some will slip through the cracks, BUT

- Far more precautions are being used to prevent spread within the school, e.g. face coverings. That should mean that the tiny minority who do bring the virus into the school gates hopefully don’t spread it.

We are basically doing everything right in terms of how can you safely open schools. If schools were to cause a major spike again this time I’d conclude that it’s impossible to safely open schools fully during the pandemic and we’d need to move to a blended model until the pandemic is over. But I’m 99% confident that won’t happen. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yep, it’s too early to say for sure whether there will be a spike or not but I think if it was going to be a flat our December 2.0 level disaster, we’d at least have some indication coming through by now.

- Virus prevalence in the UK is at its lowest level in a long time, so relatively few pupils will be carrying the virus in to start with

- Pupils are being tested twice a week, so those tests should identify most of the carriers and screen them out of school for 10 days to prevent them spreading the virus. Obviously the tests aren’t 100% accurate so some will slip through the cracks, BUT

- Far more precautions are being used to prevent spread within the school, e.g. face coverings. That should mean that the tiny minority who do bring the virus into the school gates hopefully don’t spread it.

We are basically doing everything right in terms of how can you safely open schools. If schools were to cause a major spike again this time I’d conclude that it’s impossible to safely open schools fully during the pandemic and we’d need to move to a blended model until the pandemic is over. But I’m 99% confident that won’t happen. 

And Easter is a ready made break while vaccinations continue - timing is perfect 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My mother in law’s primary school had 7 positive cases in one class on Friday!

None in the rest of the school though and obviously everyone self isolating in that bubble.

Ah - I’m just watching on catch up the presser and so pleased that Dr June Raine and Professor Chris Whitty are acknowledging and explaining properly about the five incidents of CSVT - the grown ups are back in the room. Boris was his normal shambles though!

NO RUSH

Elsewhere, Sweden needs “a few days” to decide whether to restart paused vaccinations with AstraZeneca’s Covid vaccine. “The public health agency needs a few days to analyse the situation and how the AstraZeneca vaccine can be used in Sweden,” director general of the agency Johan Carlson said. “Next week we will say the position we are taking on the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine.”

52 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Sorry all, but I believe there should be absolute and thorough transparency about possible side effects. It now is confirmed (BBC website) that we have also had incidences of the rare form of blood clot CSVT here and the EMA are saying a link cannot be ruled out. Could this batch we are now re-testing be from the same one in other countries? However, the risk is still extremely low, 5 cases out of 11,000,000 so the benefits do obviously strongly outweigh the risks and this needs to be explained in a more ‘grown up’ way whilst separating it away from politics. I understand that individual countries made the decision to pause (not the EU/EMA/WHO) whilst UK didn’t. I don’t believe it’s political -it’s individual regulatory bodies acceptance of risk, investigation and raising awareness - as it should be

D80DB94F-C80E-41F3-902E-602A44C2CBFD.jpeg

97013025-8A14-4505-A624-CC6067ADBA6A.jpeg

Have to say, I agree entirely. Complete transparency is the only way to foster trust. If they ignored it and it got worse, then I think we’d be in all sorts of trouble (even if it didn’t, it provides fodder for misinformation). Based on the frequency of the events, it was unlikely to lead to abandoning the vaccine, but we are now aware of the possible risks and there’s no room for people to claim things are being hidden. This was the part I never got about the suggestion that it was playing into the hands of anti-vaxxers, if there’s nothing being hidden, then it’s a straight assessment of relative risks (and we can look for warning signs too and inform recipients to be aware of the very rare instances that this may occur). Entirely correct to be open and honest about this. 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

NO RUSH

Elsewhere, Sweden needs “a few days” to decide whether to restart paused vaccinations with AstraZeneca’s Covid vaccine. “The public health agency needs a few days to analyse the situation and how the AstraZeneca vaccine can be used in Sweden,” director general of the agency Johan Carlson said. “Next week we will say the position we are taking on the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine.”

Starting up straight away here. Will be a couple of days as people have to be booked in, but on with the show! 

52 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm afraid that I don't understand that statement. Not in a technical way to do with the content. I just can't make head nor tail of it. Mind you I've just had a large smoke, so there's got to a good chance that the issue lies at this end. However, I might be wrong. It is a 'thing' with me.

Apologies for my typo should say having covid gives suimilar protection to one dose of a vaccine