When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Any business or country who insists on two doses (or even one dose) before we’ve all been offered one is discriminating.

I’m all for covid passports but covid free status should always include an option for a negative LFT

The best approach would be a formula of some description -

2 doses or 1 dose that came at least 3 but no more than 13 weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Any business or country who insists on two doses (or even one dose) before we’ve all been offered one is discriminating.

I’m all for covid passports but covid free status should always include an option for a negative LFT

I'm pretty confident the general formula for international travel will be.

Have you had both jabs? In you come.

Are you still waiting? Take a test (which will be increasingly cheap/subsidised) and you're welcome.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm pretty confident the general formula for international travel will be.

Have you had both jabs? In you come.

Are you still waiting? Take a test (which will be increasingly cheap/subsidised) and you're welcome.

That’s good to hear if so.

The Mother in Law wants us all to go to Greece and the in laws are paying so don’t want to miss out 😂

Random thought but would the departing Airport love to have you there a few extra hours before a flight to take a test ?

Any test centres would not come out of their budget but £2 for a can of pop etc is theirs ? 

Edited by faymondo

41 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've been thinking and i'm not sure if any others feel like this but given this vaccine passport (or whatever guise it takes) is likely to be required in order to go on holiday this summer it's beginning to feel like a massive kick in the nuts for all of those under 50 who have gone through 3 lockdowns and have been hit hardest in terms of unemployment / redundancies.

We've locked down to protect the vulnerable yet those cheeky bastards will likely be first on the planes to enjoy the fruits of nearly an entire year of some form of lockdown.

Just doesn't add up.

Doesn’t bother me at all, some of those older people are in their later years and as such don’t have as much time on this earth as others do so I don’t resent them being able to enjoy their retirement especially this last year. Just because I might not be able to do something doesn’t mean I should resent those that do. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Doesn’t bother me at all, some of those older people are in their later years and as such don’t have as much time on this earth as others do so I don’t resent them being able to enjoy their retirement especially this last year. Just because I might not be able to do something doesn’t mean I should resent those that do. 

Exactly. If the options are:

• Older people can easily go on holiday this Summer
  • No one goes on holiday

Would be incredibly mean to deny them. It's just a quirk of how things have worked out, it's not some devious plot older people have cooked up.

They're not jumping the queue ahead of young people, they're simply the only ones allowed in the queue.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yep that’s the case - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/18/delaying-englands-winter-lockdown-caused-up-to-27000-extra-covid-deaths?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The government has all the warnings in the world and still ignored it. Criminal negligence from the government. 

They even had starmer telling them to lockdown.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

• No one goes on holiday

Would be incredibly mean to deny them. It's just a quirk of how things have worked out, it's not some devious plot older people have cooked up.

They're not jumping the queue ahead of young people, they're simply the only ones allowed in the queue.

added to that its obviously going to be better to get some of the tourist industry open than nothing at all .... providing  employment to some of the younger people that have been hardest hit by unemployment 

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

• No one goes on holiday

NHS staff and care staff who are double jabbed are ok to go on holiday, which would be pretty decent too (if we had enough money to afford a holiday!)

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

added to that its obviously going to be better to get some of the tourist industry open than nothing at all .... providing  employment to some of the younger people that have been hardest hit by unemployment 

Absolutely, very good point.

Added to this that it's moot anyway - countries WILL allow young people in with a test and getting a test is no big deal (you can even get it at the airport just before you fly).

Edited by xxialac

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Absolutely, very good point.

Added to this that it's moot anyway - countries WILL allow young people in with a test and getting a test is no big deal (you can even get it at the airport just before you fly).

As it will be spreading unchecked it'll be interesting to see what the financial details are for those who test positive and have to be turned away. Same for events domestically, and perhaps even holiday places as I imagine a negative test will be needed for holiday parks at the very least, and I wouldn't be surprised if hotels ask for it too.

You can't say it's their fault for catching it if they haven't been able to have two vaccines, especially if they're working in a public facing role like in a pub.

I think people just need to accept this year is pretty much written off until at least August

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

As it will be spreading unchecked it'll be interesting to see what the financial details are for those who test positive and have to be turned away. Same for events domestically, and perhaps even holiday places as I imagine a negative test will be needed for holiday parks at the very least, and I wouldn't be surprised if hotels ask for it too.

You can't say it's their fault for catching it if they haven't been able to have two vaccines, especially if they're working in a public facing role like in a pub.

I think people just need to accept this year is pretty much written off until at least August

There's no need to speculate as this is happening already.

I flew to Spain in December, had a test at the airport knowing full well that if I tested positive I wouldn't be able to get on the plane and would lose all monies associated with the trip.

Would recommend people book a refundable hotel and get the test done a day or two before if they're worried.

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There's no need to speculate as this is happening already.

I flew to Spain in December, had a test at the airport knowing full well that if I tested positive I wouldn't be able to get on the plane and would lose all monies associated with the trip.

Would recommend people book a refundable hotel and get the test done a day or two before if they're worried.

Biggest concern is the economy really- i think fair enough if you can take the risk but many can't, so I wonder if when a decent number of people realise they have a reasonable chance of that happening that they might just not bother. I know I wouldn't even consider it this year for a trip abroad. Might stretch to trying it for a festival

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’d go ahead with the 2nd doses now. Covid deaths are practically unheard of among those outside groups 1-9, so I think the risk of a huge number of deaths is tiny. I’m not suggesting the one dose protection will just disappear after 12 weeks but even that’s a bigger risk than deaths among healthy 45 year olds IMO. 

Yeah it's actually the protection for older people that I'm questioning the maths on. Evidence shows it does reduce transmission - so do we protect older people better by bumping their own immunity, or reducing the chance of it being transmitted to them in the first place.

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd like to see someone actually find out.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I've been thinking and i'm not sure if any others feel like this but given this vaccine passport (or whatever guise it takes) is likely to be required in order to go on holiday this summer it's beginning to feel like a massive kick in the nuts for all of those under 50 who have gone through 3 lockdowns and have been hit hardest in terms of unemployment / redundancies.

We've locked down to protect the vulnerable yet those cheeky bastards will likely be first on the planes to enjoy the fruits of nearly an entire year of some form of lockdown.

Just doesn't add up.

I'm sure the last I read for the Balearic Islands was it was either proof of vaccination or a negative test (I'm not sure within what timeframe). Can't remember if it was a credible source or just more journalistic guesswork.

I'm supposed to be in Ibiza in mid-July and although sadly, like last year it won't be the typical experience, the island still has loads to offer. But after yesterday's vaccine supply news, I'm sweating it a bit now. Approaching 44, I was hoping to have had the first jab within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm sure there'll be pressure from the Spanish tourist boards to come up with some kind of compromise. The Balearics won't be able to survive a year on 50 year old + alone, especially after a disastrous 2020 season.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Just doesn't add up.

To be fair they are also the group that was hit hardest with all the death. 

29 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Biggest concern is the economy really- i think fair enough if you can take the risk but many can't, so I wonder if when a decent number of people realise they have a reasonable chance of that happening that they might just not bother. I know I wouldn't even consider it this year for a trip abroad. Might stretch to trying it for a festival

For me it's not the risk of not being able to fly. It's the risk of getting it once on holiday. Without at least one jab, and it circulating around everywhere if they've opened up tourism, chances are going to be high. And even if it only knocks me around a bit, that's a shitty few days of holiday. Probably followed by another shitty few days as my partner gets it. And if you do end up being hospitalised... will travel insurance cover that? 

• Like 1