When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I agree. Nothing is ‘COVID secure’, places can be safer with precautions in place but the very nature of an airborne virus means it’ll get into a place somehow. 

I agree to an extent however with cases having dropped significantly the prevalence of the virus is clearly low.

Combine that with cleaning, social distancing etc and the added effect of vaccines...

44 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You are all welcome to your wrong opinions on CNN - who would of thought a bunch lefties would defend CNN 🙂 

As an insult/dig, that doesn't even make sense. Surely a "bunch lefties" would prefer CNN to actually be further to the left rather than the middle ground everyone (apart from you and Trump) thinks it currently occupies

10 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

As an insult/dig, that doesn't even make sense. Surely a "bunch lefties" would prefer CNN to actually be further to the left rather than the middle ground everyone (apart from you and Trump) thinks it currently occupies

Don't try the old logic line with him.

The Ignore function is useful.

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

CNN is NOT middle ground.  You have to view it in context of the country it broadcasts in.  The USA will never be as left as we are.  What you consider middle ground here is very left in the states!  

Fox News often goes beyond anything the Daily Mail would publish for example - and thats broadcast TV!. 

If you want to compare the states to the UK you would have pick up the entire political spectrum, take two steps right and drop it back down.

Its entire purpose is the promotion of the democrats and at the detriment of the republican party.  During the election they would have 3 democrats on vs 1 republican.  Boy that guy loved a beating!  To be fair to Fox they usually only ever did 2 republicans  vs 1 democrat !!

Whatever CNN used to be it isn't now..

Even taking all that in to account, there is no way you could describe CNN as "ultra left". Ultra left is collectivisation and five year plans, not supporting a very slightly left wing party (and with some senators in particular, really not very left wing at all), even by American standards.

And even if all what you say were true, the insult still wouldn't work. A "bunch lefties" would want it to be left wing so by saying it isn't they are criticising it, not defending it. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

To win hospitality will have to prove itsel safer. Which isn't really possible. its not the type of trade which makes something safer not. Its the people interaction/contact which carries the risk of passing the infection on.

Do they though? The government is forcing them to remain shut so surely the burden is on the government to prove why shops can open and not them? 

Have you been to Primark on a saturday afternoon? I would rather sit in a pub full of students. 

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

So in 6 weeks out of 1.85 million vaccinated people 79 have died? If that's true I would suggest the vaccines are not working that well, to put it into a UK context, if everyone in the UK all 65 million were vaccinated we would have 2765 dead in 6 weeks, that's 460 per week 66 per day, that's not that much better than what we've got now.

Worth noting that the IFR is actually higher among the vaccinated population than the non-vaccinated in Israel according to that data. It suggests that the vaccine is 95% effective against catching covid, 82% effective against hospitalisation but bizarrely makes you more likely to die if you do catch covid.

I would suggest that it is statistically nonsense due to the vaccinated group containing far more shit immune systems than the control group. 

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So in 6 weeks out of 1.85 million vaccinated people 79 have died? If that's true I would suggest the vaccines are not working that well, to put it into a UK context, if everyone in the UK all 65 million were vaccinated we would have 2765 dead in 6 weeks, that's 460 per week 66 per day, that's not that much better than what we've got now.

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Thats some fuzzy logic. If all 65 million were vaccinated and 2765 died that would be the end of it. The population is finite. 

2765 dead from 65 million... I'd say thats working very well. 

Edited by Havors

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Israel are out of lockdown, so that is a LOT better than what we have now

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Worth noting that the IFR is actually higher among the vaccinated population than the non-vaccinated in Israel according to that data. It suggests that the vaccine is 95% effective against catching covid, 82% effective against hospitalisation but bizarrely makes you more likely to die if you do catch covid.

I would suggest that it is statistically nonsense due to the vaccinated group containing far more shit immune systems than the control group. 

On both of those points, don't forget that you need 3 weeks after vaccination to be protected - it's not inconceivable that those people caught it either before, during or just after the vaccination. It's what happens now to those people, when that period has fully passed, that matters. They'd still go in the numbers as "hospitalised after vaccination" 

Edited by efcfanwirral

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Does one jab count ?  

Like already said probably yes. Tourism Countries like Italy, Greece, Spain and Turkey I would be rather certain yes.

Everything (out of the three things) mentioned should count and giving you some kind of freedom, that`s the idea (even if some countries are still more pessimistic).

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Like already said probably yes. Tourism Countries like Italy, Greece, Spain and Turkey I would be rather certain yes.

Everything (out of the three things) mentioned should count and giving you some kind of freedom, that`s the idea (even if some countries are still more pessimistic).

Really interesting that prior infection counts- there's no chance they'll do that here, too many who "game" the system and will go out and catch it 

14 hours ago, zahidf said:

Cases aren't important anymore. A small increase in a few areas shouldn't derail us if the vaccines are protecting people.

That's only true to an extent. Exponential growth is a thing, you can't give the virus time to multiply and spread around the entire population before you have the rest of them vaccinated. 

I'm actually curious if all the restrictions were lifted today, how many 40-somethings would go back out again, knowing they'll have the vaccine in a week or so. When it feels so close people's behaviour will change, and over the next few months there will always be one group that is just about to be vaccinated.

57 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It's not 100% effective but that's a reality we will have to deal with. It's part of reason we need to be a bit slower than it seems we could get away with: we can't have all the people who will end up in hospital having been vaccinating, ending up in there at the same time. A slow easing of restrictions spreads that out.

(It'd potentially be almost as bad if we stayed in strict lockdown until 21st June, then opened everything up in one go also - the gradual opening will allow for a controlled spread which is probably going to be necessary)

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Really interesting that prior infection counts- there's no chance they'll do that here, too many who "game" the system and will go out and catch it 

But by 1 June most people will have had a jab anyway if they want one. Maybe some of the totally nutty anti-vaxxers will go catch it on purpose instead, but from a public health perspective that's not actually a bad thing.

Submitting fake test results would be more of a problem.

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They will have to because to offer people an alternative if they could not get vaccinated by summer (e.g. younger people). They will call it digital green certificate and the EU definition for travel (but some countries will surely use it for other things like restaurants, gigs, etc.) is:

A digital green certificate is a digital proof that a person has been vaccinated against COVID-19, has recovered from COVID-19 or has a negative test result.

In addition to possible uses in healthcare, the aim of the certificate is to facilitate the safe free movement of citizens of one Member State to and in other EU Member States.