When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

The potential issues with the AZ vaccine don't seem to be worrying the good people of Cumbria. I was stationed outside the jabbing booths directing people and could hear what was being said. Only heard one person ask about blood clots and she went ahead once the risks had been explained. 

I know 3 people that quite happily went along and got injected with AZ today. Good for them. Can’t wait for my go. 

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I am by no means saying it’s a better place - in fact it has some problems that are worse than the U.K - but with my job, moving to America (at least for a year) is an option. 

America has its own problems but I really feel like the future of the U.K. just seems so restricted, bleak, and funnelled. It really feels like there are some senior members in politics that really miss when the poor were in workhouses and social mobility didn’t exist.

America, whilst still being pay to win, is more socially mobile than the U.K. the U.K is regressing back to that awful state where everyone should know their place. What’s worse is the British people are voting it in.

What is our obsession with Etonian accents and licking their boots. Why is it that we’d literally empty our wallets for someone with a posh accent. I really can’t stand it. People are so subservient to the tories here it hurts.

Imo I think I need to escape off to a very liberal, highly educated state, for a year to get this Tory mess out my head. I’m thinking Massachusetts.

Completely agreed! America's faults are obviously well documented, but I really hate the way Britain is so obsessed with the class system (even subconsciously).

I'd love to move there, did 3 months in New York state and then NYC back in 2012 and it was amazing.

What line of work are you in? 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is why we have to wait five weeks between steps 

0_graph (2).jpg

Chris Whitty said the 2 weeks after schools open could look bad in some places but it’ll settle down after that. So hopefully this isn’t anything too much to worry about.

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is why we have to wait five weeks between steps 

0_graph (2).jpg

Infection rates don't matter. The virus will always be with us and it'll be just another vaccination we need to get along with the flu.  The real measures we need to look are hospitalisations and deaths.I would like to see the hospitalisation and death rate in Manchester. If there is no uptick in the next few days then we're all good.

Also means that if infections are rising but deaths and hospitalisations fall, kinda backs up accelerating release

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Cases aren't important anymore. A small increase in a few areas shouldn't derail us if the vaccines are protecting people.

That’s why we have the roadmap in place to monitor if those increases case levels don’t lead to anything more serious before we open up more. 

41 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Completely agreed! America's faults are obviously well documented, but I really hate the way Britain is so obsessed with the class system (even subconsciously).

I'd love to move there, did 3 months in New York state and then NYC back in 2012 and it was amazing.

What line of work are you in? 

Going to keep my profession secret but there’s definitely work for me in the states 😛 

But yes - the class system really brings down the U.K. I love how someone will tell me to pack up and leave and I clearly “hate Britain”. When in reality, I grew up here and I love so many things about this country - what I don’t like is where the tories are pushing the country and how little opposition there is to anything they do.

Also I just feel like everyone tip toes around the tabloids. The media really pulls out the worst in people and keeps everyone furious. People are angry about things they don’t know and people they’ve never met.

Another thing - not sure if it’s just the pandemic or something I’m noticing. A lot of my friends are just not happy. I don’t know exactly what it is, but mental health is a total epidemic here, and I think it’s because many young Brits feel like they can get a better future somewhere else. Brexit was a pretty huge blow to ambitious people my age.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Going to keep my profession secret but there’s definitely work for me in the states 😛 

But yes - the class system really brings down the U.K. I love how someone will tell me to pack up and leave and I clearly “hate Britain”. When in reality, I grew up here and I love so many things about this country - what I don’t like is where the tories are pushing the country and how little opposition there is to anything they do.

Also I just feel like everyone tip toes around the tabloids. The media really pulls out the worst in people and keeps everyone furious. People are angry about things they don’t know and people they’ve never met.

Another thing - not sure if it’s just the pandemic or something I’m noticing. A lot of my friends are just not happy. I don’t know exactly what it is, but mental health is a total epidemic here, and I think it’s because many young Brits feel like they can get a better future somewhere else. Brexit was a pretty huge blow to ambitious people my age.

Yeah, completely fair. I'm jealous! Been loosely keeping an eye on transitioning into a sector or company that has potential for a move to the states at some point.

But agreed on the tabloids. They're a sort of insidious poison that infect the discourse to an extent that you sometimes forget about when you're in the echo chamber of your life. I'll be chatting with my parents on the phone and they'll say something totally informed by what they've read in a newspaper and you just think, that's not only nasty, it's factually incorrect. 

Lammys speech from earlier gave me hope though. I sincerely hope he's PM one day. His book is fantastic too!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Infection rates don't matter. The virus will always be with us and it'll be just another vaccination we need to get along with the flu.  The real measures we need to look are hospitalisations and deaths.I would like to see the hospitalisation and death rate in Manchester. If there is no uptick in the next few days then we're all good.

Also means that if infections are rising but deaths and hospitalisations fall, kinda backs up accelerating release

Try telling that to my daughter who can't go back to school for 10 days, the boy in her class with a temperature of 39.5, his parents and the (presumably unvaccinated) teacher of the class who is now too ill to set the home schooling lessons (presumably also from COVID, although we don't know)

Sure, case rates aren't as important, but they're pretty important in my community at the moment.

Edit: and oh yeah, my wife is also shielding and her vaccine hasn't kicked in yet. Case rates are pretty damn important to me still.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

you have to wait a few weeks after infections rise to see that don't get corresponding hospitalisations or deaths rising...then we're good.

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

yeah, I also don't feel a lot of love for this country at the moment.

28 minutes ago, Zacko said:

But agreed on the tabloids. They're a sort of insidious poison that infect the discourse to an extent that you sometimes forget about when you're in the echo chamber of your life. I'll be chatting with my parents on the phone and they'll say something totally informed by what they've read in a newspaper and you just think, that's not only nasty, it's factually incorrect. 

Well yes exactly that. Whether they repeat the thoughts out loud many people think them. I can’t see this getting better any time soon either as people with these beliefs tend to double down when it gets challenging. Boris doing something which pisses them off makes them like him more.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I also don't feel a lot of love for this country at the moment.

Especially with the horrific legislation the tories now feel comfortable to introduce. The biggest problem too is some of their supporters don’t think they are right wing enough!

@StuMalinas why the downvote in silence? Speak up 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well yes exactly that. Whether they repeat the thoughts out loud many people think them. I can’t see this getting better any time soon either as people with these beliefs tend to double down when it gets challenging. Boris doing something which pisses them off makes them like him more.

Especially with the horrific legislation the tories now feel comfortable to introduce. The biggest problem too is some of their supporters don’t think they are right wing enough!

@StuMalinas why the downvote in silence? Speak up 🙂 

So as someone who was and born and raised in the United States, do you really think it’s different to the UK. The United States is more divided than the uk.

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I find it amusing for an American to talk about UK media 🙂 

Watching CNN and Fox News exposes how no American gets to talk down about other peoples media 🙂  its like having the Guardian and Daily Mail on the TV 🙂

Very little journalistic credibility operating out there.  

Wow have an upvote. 

ye there is no such thing as impartial news. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Try telling that to my daughter who can't go back to school for 10 days, the boy in her class with a temperature of 39.5, his parents and the (presumably unvaccinated) teacher of the class who is now too ill to set the home schooling lessons (presumably also from COVID, although we don't know)

Sure, case rates aren't as important, but they're pretty important in my community at the moment.

Edit: and oh yeah, my wife is also shielding and her vaccine hasn't kicked in yet. Case rates are pretty damn important to me still.

I thought the entire shielding group (i.e. the CEV) were all vaccinated by 15th Feb which was over a month ago and hence their vaccine would have kicked in last week?

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I thought the entire shielding group (i.e. the CEV) were all vaccinated by 15th Feb which was over a month ago and hence their vaccine would have kicked in last week?

A whole load of extra people were added to the shielding list a few weeks ago, so she's in that group, jabbed 13 days ago. Nearly there, but not quite.

1 hour ago, El Matador said:

There hasn't been an increase in cases though in which case there's no reason to wait and see

All of the metrics used to put us in to lockdown are coming down nationally so I completely agree.

There are people here who agree things should be done on a national scale yet then pick out data from a particular area to use as an argument that the roadmap is fine as it is.

If we are going to pick out data by area then surely by that you should be inclined to think a tier system should be in place?

It can’t be had both ways...