When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

My view point is that we shouldn’t have laws that restrict our civil liberties.

How do you balance the civil liberty of a mass gathering that risks corona virus spread against the civil liberty of staying alive? 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

Just now, Barry Fish said:

The sad reality is many people including myself could not attend funerals of loved ones this year out of respect for the law - but many are saying 500+ people can gather for a vigil for someone they never knew and the police shouldn't enforce the rules.

Its just simply picking and choosing with the main aim of beating on the police.  Its all pretty poor.

Be angry at the laws which prevented you attending the funerals then.

There are many reasons to dislike the "ACAB" type morons who hijacked the incredibly important vigil for Sarah Everard, but failure to comply with a sham lockdown that should have been lifted ages ago is not one of them.

15 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

How do you balance the civil liberty of a mass gathering that risks corona virus spread against the civil liberty of staying alive? 

I perceive the risk of transmission outside on a common to be so small that it’s not worth considering. 

18 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't think you have the full facts.  Have you watched the Sky news break down of the day or are you just reacting to a picture of a ginger women being arrested still?

Other news sources are available and is there a need to refer to her hair colour in every post? 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Chris Whitty disagrees - your credentials?

I don’t need to have relevant credentials to have a perception and talk about it on a discussion forum. Do you have any credentials for the bollocks you spout off every day?

Previous protests, packed beaches etc have not shown any notable uptick in the past. 

31 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Quite easily.

Lockdown was put in place not to completely suppress the virus, but to prevent the risk of the NHS from being overwhelmed. The NHS is no longer in immediate danger of being overwhelmed.

Bog standard viruses come and go, but the safety of women to walk the streets is something that needs to be protected forever. Frankly I'd have been down there protesting myself if I didn't have pre-existing plans at the weekend.

• Upvote 1

There is no doubt that a handful of cases will have occurred from the vigil (Albeit mitigated by the fact that it was outside and masks were worn). 

However, a handful of covid cases is a very small price to pay for the safety of women to walk the streets as and when they please.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

125,000 covid deaths vs 500 to 600 murders every year...

Your point is a poor one I feel... 

Eh, no.

There's a massive difference between the types of people who die from covid and people like Sarah Everard, a healthy young woman with potentially 50-60 years ahead of her. Besides, pandemics are by definition a temporary issue.

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The vigil is not going to make women any safer.  

Ironically one of the biggest factors in making the streets safer would be more police and more enforcement, more convictions etc.  

But the women where shouting fuck the police yesterday....

Absolute garbage.

6 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

As for your garbage point - what else do you think are going to keep people safe if not the police ?

Great example - 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/15/undercover-police-stationed-around-bars-protect-women/

It shouldn't be "I'd better not harass/rape/kill a woman because there are cops around and I might get caught".

We need to tackle the misogynistic culture that leads to women not being safe.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Great news.

Pity those leaders within the EU can’t see that pausing the vaccination programme due to sub 40 cases of blood clotting in 17 million doses given out between both the EU and UK is shooting themselves in the foot.

Release us Boris.

11 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

@crazyfool1Sounds good - will be even more of a celebration to see your parents properly!

What are everyone else’s plans for the next easing/over Easter weekend? I think a walk with friends is needed and garden visits to parents and in-laws.

Seeing some family and friends we were due to see over Christmas i believe, will try a BBQ if its nice enough weather but will also probably go for a walk or something too