When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

4 arrests last night for public order offences.

Seems the ranger fans got it harder.

For me it's not about who was hot harder or not - both should be allowed to happen. But under the current circumstances bother are outlawed. 

So if one mass gathering was running the risk of stopping the easing of restrictions then so was the other - the cause (as valid) as it is doesn't protect you from Covid, or excuse you from the rules.

Dick will inevitably resign for this but don’t expect any change from the government. The police have royally fucked this up. They could have had a let a peaceful organised vigil which was respectful of the covid regulations take place, but the organisers backed down after they were threatened with fines.

Instead they have an unorganised gathering with minimal distancing and then drag women away who are peacefully protesting. How dim can you be to not see the merits of letting a peaceful vigil go ahead after one of your own staff is on trial for murdering Sarah Everard? They should have moved heaven and earth to make it happen. 

If one good thing comes out of this it will be that Priti Patels draconian new law gets completely shat on. 

5 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Well known scientific fact that covid doesn't spread at vigils, only at protests. 

Doesn't really spread at any outdoor settings, especially if it's socially distant. Shame the police decide to kettle them so they couldn't socially distance.

Just now, zahidf said:

Doesn't really spread at any outdoor settings, especially if it's socially distant. Shame the police decide to kettle them so they couldn't socially distance.

I completely agree. So why are we only allowed to meet one other person outdoors for the next 2 weeks? 

A lot of people that are fully supportive of the ludicrously over cautious roadmap, now suddenly of the opinion that its fine for 100's of people to meet outdoors. 

Can't have it both ways.

2 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I completely agree. So why are we only allowed to meet one other person outdoors for the next 2 weeks? 

A lot of people that are fully supportive of the ludicrously over cautious roadmap, now suddenly of the opinion that its fine for 100's of people to meet outdoors. 

Can't have it both ways.

I haven't said that. I've been fairly open about saying rule of 6 should be allowed for outside asap

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I haven't said that. I've been fairly open about saying rule of 6 should be allowed for outside asap

Just to be clear I wasn't having a go at you. 

There is however a high degree of hypocrisy amongst a lot of people, including the media, this morning. 

The tweet in the original post is an example. What difference does it make whether its a vigil, a protest, a celebration etc. 

Hopefully this is the kick up the arse society needs to finally look at the Coronavirus Act and realise we handed over complete power to the government and police without a single bit of resistance, all for “the greater good”. 

Don’t worry though, it only gets another 6 months extension this week. 

There are lots of photos of non socially distanced crowds with police officers interspersed just standing there. Plenty of chanting - 'Sisters United we will never be deafeted'. 

Lots of blind eyes being turned to rules being broken by the police for much of the evening I wonder what the point it was deemed to have over stepped the mark.

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

I didn’t see it but apparently Jess Phillips was great on Marr today.

She spoke movingly about the under reporting and falling conviction rates of violence and rape against women. I rather think that is the overriding point here rather than the  willy waving here on the 'shit thread' today. 

• Like 1

Just now, HalfAnIdiot said:

She spoke movingly about the under reporting and falling conviction rates of violence and rape against women. I rather think that is the overriding point here rather than the  willy waving here on the 'shit thread' today. 

Yeah this thread is almost as depressing to read as the news itself today. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Homer said:

It’s like the whole country has forgotten that 120,000 people are dead. The vaccine success doesn’t take away from their utter failure in most other aspects of the pandemic. 

44 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Well known scientific fact that covid doesn't spread at vigils, only at protests. 

The difference is the organisers of the vigil tried to engage with the police to do something as COVID compliant as possible but after legal threats left it to become a disorganised rabble, whilst anti-lockdown protesters don't want to engage in anyway with COVID restrictions as that is entire purpose of their existence.

See also Rangers trying to engage with Police Scotland about the aftermath of the title win but Police Scotland refusing even to do the minimum of work like removing street furniture.

Personally I don't think the vigil should have taken place, I don't think Ranger's fans should have been celebrating but enough people feel differently that is on the police to engage with organisers to make sure things are as safe as possible.

12 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Feel like they are jumping the gun, there won't be a connection and all that will happen is that the vaccine rollout in Europe will take even longer and the anti vaxxers will be happier