When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Getting a bit much in Wales

Wales first minister Mark Drakeford is having an action-packed morning touring the broadcasters and speaking to media.

He is now stressing that a further reopening of Wales’s tourism industry would be halted if holiday providers are found to be taking bookings from people in England over Easter.

People living under lockdown restrictions in England will not be able to holiday in Wales when self-contained accommodation in the country is allowed to reopen from 27 March

I think he's a bit of a nutter.

What's the general consensus of him in Wales? 

Transmission of Covid-19 drops by at least 30% after a person is vaccinated, a new study suggests.

Public Health Scotland and the University of Glasgow assessed 300,000 NHS workers between 8 December - the first day of vaccination in Scotland - and 3 March.

The researchers looked at the records of people who live with both vaccinated and unvaccinated healthcare workers, finding those who had a single dose were at least 30% less likely to pass the virus on.

Those who have had both doses of vaccine were found to be at least 54% less likely to pass on the virus.

The study, using record linkage, compared cases of Covid-19 and hospitalisations due to the virus in household members of both vaccinated, and unvaccinated health care workers.

Dr Diane Stockton, PHS Lead for Covid-19 vaccination surveillance programme, said:

The results from this study as part of our vaccine effectiveness work, are very encouraging because it suggests that the vaccine helps prevent people from passing on the virus to others - something that has been suspected but hasn’t previously been shown.

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

When I go out for my walk I only see people on their own, couples of families. I don’t see any groups and it’s mainly people just walking. It looks like people are sticking to the rules where I am. 

Same here. Apart from the odd group of teens people seem to be sticking to it around here too.

Wales have just reported their biggest day yet for vaccine doses:

22,646 first doses
15,455 second doses

38,101 in total.

Disappointing figures in comparison in NI (8,386) but hopefully this is the beginning of the 'ramp up'

Edited by northernringo

According to the Scottish health secretary they are expecting to ramp up to 400,000 vaccinations next week - thats about double the last 7 days average.    That correlates with the fact that I have just received an appointment for next week, as have a number of friends in my age group - which means we are moving into  priority group 7.    I reckon that group 8 should be the following week .  

Things are defintiely looking up.

5 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I’m fairly sure they weren’t expecting to more than double daily testing and only find an extra ~1000 cases per day. 

Hopefully the doomster scientists will be kept of TV and won't use this as an excuse to keep us locked up

It would be useful to know how many cases are are from kids now being routinely tested in school - it would give a feel about the direction of travel for case numbers gernerally, if you could have real like for like comparisons for cases v tests and where and why the test was carried out (e.g. routine test at school). It would also give a good feel about if/how the virus is spreading within the school environment

The best way to monitor the progress with cases now is the positivity rate, given we have almost doubled the rate of testing with kids going back to school. And even then, as we know it is now not the most important metric, as long as hospitalisations do not go up. Deaths are continuing to fall.

1 hour ago, BobWillis2 said:

I’d be more interested in knowing how many of the extra cases are from the group that tested positive with a lateral flow and it wasn’t backed up with a pcr to confirm it wasn’t a false positive. With the huge numbers of tests I’d imagine it’s at least half. 

For England those numbers are available on the dashboard - for example see below. This is by specimen date, so obviously numbers will change as results come in.

image.thumb.png.8a3d7cc6ea4de70785e2bcc0e2e822b1.png

17 minutes ago, stephos83 said:

For England those numbers are available on the dashboard - for example see below. This is by specimen date, so obviously numbers will change as results come in.

image.thumb.png.8a3d7cc6ea4de70785e2bcc0e2e822b1.png

I tried to find them and I couldn’t. Thank you. Possibly higher than I expected then 😬