When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Amazing thanks! Are we definitely locked into two doses for everyone, and also them being 3 months apart?

I don't know if you saw the debate last week about the one dose/two dose thing for getting into festivals over this summer - what are your thoughts on that? I can envisage issues with the July/August ones if younger are waiting for their second doses but not sure if they're likely to relax the entry rules for that situation?

I think one dose for those that have tested positive previously and recovered is probably just fine. Janssen with be one dose (to being with at least) and will do most people just fine and, dare I say it, under 45s would probably do just fine with 1 dose. Vaccine strategies have changed as things progress, it's not impossible for them to change again (it might be better to use second doses for really low risk people to vaccinate high risk people in other countries for example)...I'm speculating, 2 doses firms up the response, so will probably be what we end up doing, but there are arguments to the contrary. 

Edit: sorry didn't comment on the 3 month gap...that's pretty much essential to get the best out of the OX/AZ jab. 3 weeks works fine for Pfizer and Moderna, so if you are looking to fully vaccinate some people quickly and you have the doses, then you'd use those with the shorter gap if you can. With fewer doses available, the balance is between full protection and a high level of protection from 1 dose, so the longer gap gets more people with some level of protection, but its not required for Pfizer or Moderna if the doses are there to be used.  

Edited by Toilet Duck

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think putting Feigl-Ding and Fauci in the same sentence is a big mistake here.

Remember that Fauci is basically the American version of Chris Whitty. He has the ear of their government, has managed their response throughout and will come out of it looking pretty good. I've never once criticised him and you're putting words in my mouth claiming that I have.

My criticism is aimed solely at the hypocrisy of Feigl-Ding.

Then you ought to choose your social media a bit more wisely.  Schachtel has a long history of excoriating Faucci for being a traitor, e.g. within the past 24 hours he's tweeted his disappointment that he hasn't been jailed.

But you and Schachtel have more in common than just the fact that you both inhabit far-right social media.  You also like to post claims online without any sources.  You're clearly enraged about Feigl-Ding's hypocrisy in moving country, but are you sure it's true?  When Schachtel was questioned about where he's got his information from, this was his reply:

"Yes, this info is 100% confirmed. Not 99% sure. 100%. Publicly available open source info, which has been archived."

He might have saved himself a bit of typing by simply naming or linking to his information source.  Here's your challenge for today: go and locate this 'open source info' which Schachtel is relying on and report back to us.  (Unsubstantiated claims by other far-right bloggers don't count by the way.)

Finally - you are aware that citing 'hypocrisy' in an argument about a substantive/factual matter is called 'whatabouttery' aren't you?  It's like the in-breds you'll see shouting about how a climate change scientist once took a private jet or owns a gas-guzzler.  Whether or not they're hypocrites makes not one jot of difference to whether the scientific claim they're making is valid.  It just serves as as a convenient distraction from the actual evidence-based debate.

6 minutes ago, northernringo said:

We now have a vaccination dashboard in NI:

image.thumb.png.7d5ce4ba4b0ad63919f18210056a6323.png

Hopefully not too long before we get some entries for 50+

Another likely reason for the bit of a slowdown we have seen with vaccinations is that the care homes are all getting their second doses now and this is logistically much slower than vaccinating at vaccine centres due to travel time between care homes, etc.

In NI, 13,836 care home residents have received a first dose. 11,882 of these have received a second dose. Similar split amongst care home staff so we should be pretty close to the end of care home vaccination in NI.

The dashboard if anyone wants to play around:

https://covid-19.hscni.net/ni-covid-19-vaccinations-dashboard/

Edited by northernringo

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Edit: sorry didn't comment on the 3 month gap...that's pretty much essential to get the best out of the OX/AZ jab. 3 weeks works fine for Pfizer and Moderna, so if you are looking to fully vaccinate some people quickly and you have the doses, then you'd use those with the shorter gap if you can. With fewer doses available, the balance is between full protection and a high level of protection from 1 dose, so the longer gap gets more people with some level of protection, but its not required for Pfizer or Moderna if the doses are there to be used.  

Do we have anything yet for the 3-month on Pfizer or are the UK essentially the guinea pigs for that? I know there was a fear it could reduce effectiveness but given the evidence we now have for the longer gap working better for AZ, there must be a decent chance of the Pfizer vaccine being even more effective with a larger gap?

Just now, DeanoL said:

Do we have anything yet for the 3-month on Pfizer or are the UK essentially the guinea pigs for that? I know there was a fear it could reduce effectiveness but given the evidence we now have for the longer gap working better for AZ, there must be a decent chance of the Pfizer vaccine being even more effective with a larger gap?

There's data starting to come out from Pfizer that suggests that the immune response with the longer gap is mirroring what is seen with OX/AZ. Tess Lambe at Oxford was who was leading all the immune work on how their vaccine was working, so it was her group that noticed massive increases in both antibodies, but also T-Cells if they waited a while and this was what informed the decision by JVCI to recommend using them that way. But Tess is in an academic lab and is mostly focussed on digging deep into things like this, Pfizer have been spinning out some of this work to Academic groups, but they and Moderna are starting to find the same thing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

There's data starting to come out from Pfizer that suggests that the immune response with the longer gap is mirroring what is seen with OX/AZ. Tess Lambe at Oxford was who was leading all the immune work on how their vaccine was working, so it was her group that noticed massive increases in both antibodies, but also T-Cells if they waited a while and this was what informed the decision by JVCI to recommend using them that way. But Tess is in an academic lab and is mostly focussed on digging deep into things like this, Pfizer have been spinning out some of this work to Academic groups, but they and Moderna are starting to find the same thing. 

Is it fair to say that when people are throwing around statements like "vaccine x is designed for y gap"  or "vaccine y is designed for y doses", they should be saying "tested with" rather than "designed for"?

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is it fair to say that when people are throwing around statements like "vaccine x is designed for y gap"  or "vaccine y is designed for y doses", they should be saying "tested with" rather than "designed for"?

Exactly, they weren't "designed" for any gap, it was only through analysis of the data from the pre-clinical work and then the trials that the best way of using the vaccines emerged. Again, it's an illustration of how investigator-led trials are constructed rather than how big Pharma sponsored trials are run. Oxford have been criticised for creating complexity, however, what they did was generate a rich dataset that has allowed them to figure out how best to use their vaccine. They'll keep researching and will refine that further and find out what happens when they combine with different vaccines, what happens to protection from other variants when they modify it, how safe is it in kids etc, and they'll keep asking these things as they are academics, so they are never finished. They have malaria vaccines coming now based on this technology and they'll just keep on going!

Edited by Toilet Duck
typo!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Off topic, but Gordon Ramsey is a right c**t, and everyone who puts him on telly, normalising bullying is also a c**t.

Agreed, but think a lot of it with him and others is all just an act for the cameras. Like with Piers - he’s very popular off screen but an absolute (insert swear word) on it. It’s all for ratings - which in itself is pathetic.