When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Future generations will look back at us with disgust, wondering why even when we had so much evidence available we still shut down activities and industries that did not contribute to the spread of the virus but the result of which cost taxpayers billions of pounds. They’ll resent every penny of their taxes. 

Future generations aren't going to give a shit about waiting for three months to open things up when the last time we opened everything up thousands died unnecessarily.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry for also being a dick, but that's not what staycation means any more. It now means a domestic holiday somewhere is your own country or locality. It doesn't mean having time off and staying at home.

It did, but it doesn't. Language changes, at least we've not lost the word "literally".

I’m with @philipsteakon this one.

Most of my holidays as a child were in the UK and I took my kids on many UK hols before I could afford for us to all jet off abroad every year.

We had a great time with fantastic memories but calling it a staycation suggests it’s not a proper holiday and we certainly considered them proper holidays at the time.

The word may have a new meaning for a lot of people but in our family at least, all of them count as our holidays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

Most of my holidays as a child were in the UK and I took my kids on many UK hols before I could afford for us to all jet off abroad every year.

We had a great time with fantastic memories but calling it a staycation suggests it’s not a proper holiday and we certainly considered them proper holidays at the time.

The word may have a new meaning for a lot of people but in our family at least, all of them count as our holidays.

Yep, there was already a perfectly good word for a holiday in your own country. Holiday. 

I must admit though, a large part of my annoyance is that I really disliked the word anyway. The change in use just means it's getting used a lot more, especially now. And like I said, I work in tourism so I'm going to be hearing it a lot

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Yep, there was already a perfectly good word for a holiday in your own country. Holiday. 

I must admit though, a large part of my annoyance is that I really disliked the word anyway. The change in use just means it's getting used a lot more, especially now. And like I said, I work in tourism so I'm going to be hearing it a lot

The thing that bothers me about it is that it’s inherently inferior- that a new word needed to be created for it because people wouldn’t dream of holidaying in their own country otherwise, and you have to cross a border for it to qualify as a “real” holiday.

20 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

^^this

I live in Devon, every day's a holiday 😎

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Future generations aren't going to give a shit about waiting for three months to open things up when the last time we opened everything up thousands died unnecessarily.

That’s whataboutery. The last time we opened up vaccines were barely entering meaningful trials. 
That’s ignoring that we’ve never opened everything up. 

Edited by BobWillis2

1 hour ago, BobWillis2 said:

Future generations will look back at us with disgust, wondering why even when we had so much evidence available we still shut down activities and industries that did not contribute to the spread of the virus but the result of which cost taxpayers billions of pounds. They’ll resent every penny of their taxes. 

I disagree.  We went into this with a pile of debt already - how many people do you know cared about where that debt came from?  Future generations will look back at this sitting on the sofa watching a Netflix dramatised show about it all, and then forgetting it.

24 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

That’s whataboutery. The last time we opened up vaccines were barely entering meaningful trials. 
That’s ignoring that we’ve never opened everything up. 

It's not whataboutery, it's context on why this really quite short term delay isn't going to be remembered at all by future generations.

Gyms+beer gardens will be open in a month, cinemas in two months then everything in three months.

We've been at this a year, get some perspective.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Didn’t they keep saying a week into March, we’ll have loads? Also appears that the centres are increasing shifts and volunteer workloads etc.

This week will be a ramp up ..... ( an increase for those that dont like ramp up ) and next week will be bigger again ... 

1 hour ago, EasyUserName said:

I disagree.  We went into this with a pile of debt already - how many people do you know cared about where that debt came from?  Future generations will look back at this sitting on the sofa watching a Netflix dramatised show about it all, and then forgetting it.

I find it a bit hard to believe that the biggest thing since the Second World War will become a Netflix docuseries and then forgotten about. 

23 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Didn’t they keep saying a week into March, we’ll have loads? Also appears that the centres are increasing shifts and volunteer workloads etc.

Yep. I've got my first shifts booked for the 20th + 21st, at a centre that isn't even open this week.