When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

That is a good point - the amount of testing really has ramped up...
Next week onwards we will be also testing millions of extra kids so any extra cases need to be viewed in that context.

with a view that catching positive cases  will suppress the numbers further ... because they won't be passing it on longer term ...

38 minutes ago, incident said:

I couldn't disagree more with that logic.

While we didn't know for certain, and especially not to this extent, we did always have a good idea that the vaccine would at minimum reduce transmission to a reasonable degree. The Oxford/AZ vaccine at least had data suggesting that and it was always likely that others would behave the same, so plans were made with that in mind.

As you say, the reason for the priority lists being as they are is to prevent serious illness and deaths - but that hasn't changed at all and it'll take far less doses to get to the end of the priority list than in would to have a big enough impact on overall transmission rates.

To be blunt about it - if people aren't getting ill or dying for it, then reducing transmission becomes far less urgent.

But the second dose has a fairly marginal impact on serious illness and death anyway right?

It's down to maths really - the second AZ dose takes protection from around 70% to 90%, but if you then account for how much the first dose impacts on transmission, you can mathematically work out if you get that extra 20% more quickly by continuing to do first doses or doing second ones. There will be a % efficacy at preventing transmission at which it's better to proceed with first doses.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

just had info that from the 15th March there will be a large ramp up of vaccine voluteer requirements at the 3 somerset mass vaccination centres .... 

Quite a few of my fellow FMS volunteers are at the Bath and West Showground helping out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, westholtschic said:

Quite a few of my fellow FMS volunteers are at the Bath and West Showground helping out.

yep thats one of them thats had a load more shifts added ... bit far for me but im going to see if there are any left at the racecourse in taunton 🙂 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Maybe not from you but there is bashing of old people on here and it's illogical and hypocritical and also there's a smug attitude that young people have been nobly protecting old people. 

And overwhelmingly most the protection has come from the general shutting down of society and society's temptations and that is imposed upon us. 

If you asked the majority of older people if they thought the young should suffer to protect them I suspect you would get this sort of reply,

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

If you asked the majority of older people if they thought the young should suffer to protect them I suspect you would get this sort of reply,

And if you asked most young people if they'd make sacrifices to save their parents and grandparents and vulnerable people, I suspect most would be in favour

If covid was the other way round and mainly attacked young and healthy people (like Spanish flu did) there is zero chance that a lockdown would fly with the boomers. Let’s remember that the generation who have been hit hardest by covid are those who routinely fuck younger people over at the ballot box every few years and no one bats an eyelid. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Glad the vaccination program is going great guns in the UK but here in Luxembourg it’s a clusterfghj, not enough vaccine and then only about 50% of people are actually turning up for their appointment, apparently there’s a big reluctance to get the jab in France as well. Seems lots of people have the Ian Brown mentality.🙄🙄

annoyingly if I hadn’t emigrated I’d be getting my first jab this month, I’ll be lucky to get it this year the way Lux is going about things🙄🙄

Edited by Smeble

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If covid was the other way round and mainly attacked young and healthy people (like Spanish flu did) there is zero chance that a lockdown would fly with the boomers. Let’s remember that the generation who have been hit hardest by covid are those who routinely fuck younger people over at the ballot box every few years and no one bats an eyelid. 

I don't know...I expect there might be a sense of panic if all the kids were dying.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

theres quite a difference in those comparisons though isnt there ? 

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not really sure where to start with this....do you honestly think parents and grandparents don't care about their children.   

Not to mention the sweeping generalisation about their political intent.

Speaking as a younger boomer myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Smeble said:

annoyingly if I hadn’t emigrated I’d be getting my first jab this month, I’ll be lucky to get it this year the way Lux is going about things🙄🙄

True enough - but at least you’re still in the EU 🇪🇺😎

1 hour ago, incident said:

I'm not aware of the EU directly funding any manufacturing for the AZ vaccine in the same way (though I think they might have for Moderna hence we've not seen any doses yet) - their contract is with AZ who've subcontracted production to these other companies. So yes interfering in that is a lot more dodgy.

AstraZeneca was allocated €336 million in public EU funding to help the development and production of its vaccine in collaboration with Oxford University, in exchange for an agreement to supply the EU with 400 million early doses.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

860k tests, so less than 1% positivity

Yup my records would concur.  I estimate that at current testing rates we need to get down around 3,000 new cases/day to equal the positivity low of 0.38% on 6 July last year.  If we can nail that before 21st June then even better.

55 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...I expect there might be a sense of panic if all the kids were dying.

I'm talking about young adults in their twenties and thirties, not actual children.

55 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

theres quite a difference in those comparisons though isnt there ? 

What makes you think that?

27 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

Not really sure where to start with this....do you honestly think parents and grandparents don't care about their children.   

Not to mention the sweeping generalisation about their political intent.

Speaking as a younger boomer myself.

I'm talking about young adults more so than actual children. I suspect most of the boomer generation wouldn't bad an eyelid.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Of course the optics look very bad but it is fact that AstraZeneca have a contract to supply the EU.

Has the UK not equally "blocked" vaccine shipment produced at UK sites from being sent to the EU?

Struggle to see the difference...

Yup.

Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove said on Thursday the U.K. wanted to to do "everything possible to make sure that as many people in countries which are our friends and neighbours are vaccinated."

However, he said the government would not be allowing vaccines to go to the EU at this stage. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-coronavirus-medicine-vaccine-export-restrictions-eu/