When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Guardian reporting 4 in 10 over 80 year olds now breaking lockdown rules!

Should dock their pensions!

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think if you have been invited then you shouldn't feel bad.  Go forth and get your life back!  Wish it was me 😞 

How do you get your life back if you have to continue to follow lockdown rules? This is why the over 80's are breaking the rules, they were promised the vaccine was a route out of lockdown. At 80+ years old you have limited time to waste waiting for the government to give you your freedom.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The good news is those figures are going to come down, the bad news is people are hospitalised with COVID for months at a time so there's going to be some lag. 

Is it really months though? People close to me who were in hospital for Covid were in for around a week/two weeks and data I found on the internet is saying 4 to 21 days.

Starting to think I’m in an unusual position when it comes to the end of Lockdown. I actually think the Westminster Government has it about right and should stick with their schedule. I just wish the Scottish Government would stop pudding around and posturing and align with England. 

3 minutes ago, Slugy said:

Is it really months though? People close to me who were in hospital for Covid were in for around a week/two weeks and data I found on the internet is saying 4 to 21 days.

Up to that - it depends. My partner's Dad was in for two months before he passed.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Starting to think I’m in an unusual position when it comes to the end of Lockdown. I actually think the Westminster Government has it about right and should stick with their schedule. I just wish the Scottish Government would stop pudding around and posturing and align with England. 

I absolutely agree id much rather go slow now and im not quite ready mentally for a full opening ... a gentle easing would help me  I think 

17 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

How do you get your life back if you have to continue to follow lockdown rules? This is why the over 80's are breaking the rules, they were promised the vaccine was a route out of lockdown. At 80+ years old you have limited time to waste waiting for the government to give you your freedom.

I understand and sympathise with the “limited time left” for the 80+ Group, however it really frustrates me as someone about to turn 30 who has followed the rules and had my life put on hold (for the greater good), to now see things about granny and grandpa just getting on with life as they have been jabbed.
There are still people with illnesses deemed too minor to push them up the vaccine list, but who are still at risk from potential serious issues if they caught Covid.

Also as someone who has been told, you will most likely be fine if you caught it, but hold on a little longer and done so. Why shouldn’t the older generation hold on a little longer too to give everyone else the best fighting chance to make this the last lockdown.

3 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

I understand and sympathise with the “limited time left” for the 80+ Group, however it really frustrates me as someone about to turn 30 who has followed the rules and had my life put on hold (for the greater good), to now see things about granny and grandpa just getting on with life as they have been jabbed.
There are still people with illnesses deemed too minor to push them up the vaccine list, but who are still at risk from potential serious issues if they caught Covid.

Also as someone who has been told, you will most likely be fine if you caught it, but hold on a little longer and done so. Why shouldn’t the older generation hold on a little longer too to give everyone else the best fighting chance to make this the last lockdown.

Some old people are meeting up with friends/family because they want to and they think they can get away with it. Exactly same as why some young people are doing the same.

Doesn't mean they don't understand the argument.

I don't see this as an old vs young issue at all. 

5 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Depends on how they are breaking the rules of course, if they are simply meeting up with other older vaccinated people the risk to others is minimal if not nil. All the evidence so far seems to show that the vaccines pretty much stop transmission.

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Depends on how they are breaking the rules of course, if they are simply meeting up with other older vaccinated people the risk to others is minimal if not nil. All the evidence so far seems to show that the vaccines pretty much stop transmission.

But then if it was simply about meeting with limited risks, why couldn’t young people who have limited risk anyway, be tested to check they are Covid free and meet up with other young Covid free people. 

Because we were told “it’s everyone’s problem until it’s no longer a problem” 

But now older people are conveniently forgetting/ignoring this to suit their needs. 

This isn’t to have a go at you @gizmoman, it is just something I have noticed building for a while with the older generation now that vaccines are bringing the goods. 

Edited by gherring8
Typos

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes I am on this side.  We have all given up so much very much for the benefit of the older age groups.

They should hold the line really.

At this stage, it's unenforceable anyway. If someone is going to take a risk after being locked indoors for a year and they have a vax jab, fair enough.

31 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I agree with you, I think they have the roadmap just about right. It’s cautious and gives good time in between steps to monitor any changes in the data. I’d rather be cautious but stay out of lockdown than risk heading back into one. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I agree with you, I think they have the roadmap just about right. It’s cautious and gives good time in between steps to monitor any changes in the data. I’d rather be cautious but stay out of lockdown than risk heading back into one. 

to be fair once outdoor hospitality is open and you can meet people outside, even in gardens,  its not really lockdown anymore for many (as long as the weather is reasonable - it usually is mid to late April) - we can all hold on 1 month for indoor hospitality and 2 months for events - gigs and festivals are WAY more than I expected this year. If they happen, even if delayed from the June date (though I see no reason why that would be the case) it will be a huge win

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, phimill said:

With the schools going back next week and the anxiety of some expecting to see an increase in cases - have we seen any uptick in Wales and Scotland over the last two weeks since they have started to reopen their schools?

do they have twice weekly testing ? id hope that would be a good measure to keep the infection numbers under control 

32 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

agreed. Tax the fuckers I reckon.

Except my mum, she's still being a good girl and following the rules.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes I am on this side.  We have all given up so much very much for the benefit of the older age groups.

It's clearly not true that old people are spreading covid more than young people and I don't believe they are breaking the rules more than young people.

And bizarre to spread the notion that young people have been nobly making person sacrifices to benefit old people. Some exceptions of course but most have simply copied their peer group and most of the rules have been imposed upon them..

Not coming home to Scotland

Nicola Sturgeon's caution is going to cost Scotland.

Glasgow and Dublin are at growing risk of being cut from the list of hosts for this summer's European Championship.

With fewer than 100 days until the delayed Euros, Uefa wants each of the countries staging matches to submit their plans - including for the return of fans - by a deadline of 7 April.

Organisers say they still hope to stage matches at the 12 venues as planned.

But the Scottish and Irish governments are yet to provide assurances whether fans will be allowed back by June.

And Uefa is understood to be increasingly concerned they may have to strip Glasgow and Dublin of their matches.

Both Hampden Park and the Aviva Stadium are due to stage four games.

According to one source with knowledge of tournament planning, the position on fans in Dublin and Glasgow is currently "very bad", with the respective governments "taking a much tighter approach to Covid than other cities".

On Wednesday, Scotland's Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said that being part of the Euros was "a really big deal" for her country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120

34 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

As I've said before though, it's been a long year and solidarity isn't going to last much longer.

This is why I think they may need to speed things up a bit. Cautious approach is all well and good but people aren't going to stay locked up once they have a vaccine

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's clearly not true that old people are spreading covid more than young people and I don't believe they are breaking the rules more than young people.

And bizarre to spread the notion that young people have been nobly making person sacrifices to benefit old people. Some exceptions of course but most have simply copied their peer group and most of the rules have been imposed upon them..

Lol you've said this before. Young people don't have to follow the household mixing rules. They are doing it because its the right thing to do. What do you think peer pressure is? 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

That was my thought when I posted it.  The cat is out of the bag.

Some of us have been saying this for a long time now but are seemingly heckled for suggesting it.

We are looking at nearly 50% of 80+ year olds breaking the rules once they are vaccinated and this will increase massively i'd say as the age groups vaccinated get younger.

The government cannot say "vaccines are the way out of this" then think people are going to abide by rules once vaccinated.

Yes, some will say we have responsibility to others and whilst I agree to an extent those who we've been told we are protecting will be vaccinated by now?

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I never claimed old people where spreading it more than young people.  Massive WOOOSH!

I don't believe it is bizarre to say young people are making sacrifices for the greater good.  The state can impose very little on everyone.  It has always required the public (including children's) agreement to follow and vast vast majority have and wilfully.  You can't "impose" restrictions on millions of people.  You have to have an agreement from them.  We could all revolt in the morning and the state would be powerless in reality.  Its why we say we are policed by consent.

Yeah I couldn't disagree with you more.

Apology, that first sentence wasn't aimed at you but at the general sentiment suggestion that old people were now being more reckless than young people.

This bashing of old people is just silly. They should be criticised if they are being more reckless than young people and I just don't believe that for a moment.

And the state can impose a tonne of restrictions on everyone.

Have you not noticed the nightclubs closed? The cinemas closed? The shops closed? The sports venues closes? The events cancelled? etc etc etc

And you've forgotten completely or failed to understand that humans have herd behaviour and we copy what others do. So if we see other people respecting the rules, we are more likely to abide by them.

Young people aren't about to go round to their mate's for an illicit beer and then think "oh I'd best not - don't want to endanger our country's older people". You're not living in the real world. 

Edited by xxialac