When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This pandemic is basically finished as a public health issue now. 

If its driven by data and not dates then why won't they shift the roadmap forward like they are quick enough to shift it back?

Surely we aren't going to be having the data not dates discussion at 4pm every day? 😂 We all know the data is great, but we also all know that we have a massive cohort of the population getting sent back to schools next week. I am as keen as the next man to get back to normal and remove restrictions, but let's at least wait to see how that turns out?!

• Upvote 11

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This pandemic is basically finished as a public health issue now. 

Even if that were true (and I realise you're being facetious here), the Government shouldn't and probably won't say as much.

There's still a long way to go in the vaccination programme and any remarks which undercut the importance of getting vaccinated are a huge mistake.

That's one of the main reasons I think that they're sticking to the "not before" line for the moment - I'm confident that the June 21st date will be brought forward, but that saying so would risk people especially younger age groups deciding that they don't need to bother with a vaccine and therefore risk the ability to bring the date forward.

7 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Surely we aren't going to be having the data not dates discussion at 4pm every day? 😂 We all know the data is great, but we also all know that we have a massive cohort of the population getting sent back to schools next week. I am as keen as the next man to get back to normal and remove restrictions, but let's at least wait to see how that turns out?!

Yes exactly, the data is going in the right direction but certain figures are still high. This is before any relaxation as well. They'll still be cautious and review the effects of the various steps to ensure we keep going in the right direction. That is following the data in a way.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Mixed picture across Europe.

Worst countries for Covid seeing dramatic falls. Countries that were doing ok now on the rise.

image.png.97f95486e3e8f52124af2cdec91d3f90.png

Source?  Just interested not being doubting 

18 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The 300+ people who died will probably disagree...

It’s incredibly sad that people are still passing away, but most of them will have caught the virus in the second half of January or early February when the prevalence was much higher.

Very few people are catching the virus today who will go on to die from it.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s incredibly sad that people are still passing away, but most of them will have caught the virus in the second half of January or early February when the prevalence was much higher.

Very few people are catching the virus today who will go on to die from it.

6000 infections per day .... every day .... 

47 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

At some point we need to decided what sort of levels of death we are willing to accept - such a nice thought....

If 8000 people die of flu each year and we seem to view that as "acceptable" that would be 22 deaths a day (if it wasn't seasonal like flu - its not really looking seasonal).

Clearly we are a long way off what we could call "normal" on that sort of measure. 

Thousands of people die of flu every year, but we don't have very effective vaccines for it (what is it, 30-50% effective?). We don't need to decide on a "normal" level of covid deaths if the vaccine is as effective as it appears to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Thousands of people die of flu every year, but we don't have very effective vaccines for it (what is it, 30-50% effective?). We don't need to decide on a "normal" level of covid deaths if the vaccine is as effective as it appears to be.

which makes me wonder why is the flu vaccine so rubbish in comparison ?  is it because flu changes more ? 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

It seems like a real postcode lottery.  I think they need to carry on though.  If one part of the country is ahead of another for whatever reasons it would seem arbitrary to tell them to sit around doing nothing until the others catch up.

It is.  I'm 57 so Group 8 and not heard anything as yet about an invite.  We were blasting through previous groups here in Mendip but it's def slowed the last week or so.