When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Howdy,

What seems to be coming through (though it's far from certain at the moment) is that those that have recovered from COVID are having more side effects (the big mobilisation of the immune response where our body thinks we are being infected again). So, many of those with the stronger side effects may well have had an asymptomatic/mild infection previously that they were unaware of. There's obviously lots of people in this group as they would have only been tested if they were close contacts and not that many people are getting antibody tests so we really dot know what proportion of the population had unconfirmed infections over the last year. There's not that many studies on this yet, but biologically, it does make sense. Even though people are reporting feeling rough though, so far, the vast majority self-resolve with some rest and paracetamol, there remains very few people that actually need medical attention, which tallies with what was seen in the trials. Having said all that, immune responses vary a lot!

Thank you for taking the time too explain that so well. Like @Mellotr0n I can’t upvote you at the moment but I will come back! 

My friend who is in her 30’s really suffered after AZ for about 3 days and I suspect, as she’s NHS staff, that she’s previously had an asymptomatic infection. 

In view of what Toilet Duck says, which makes total sense, I wonder if they should be asking when people go for their second jab how they felt after the first? If those who felt rough after jab 1 are assumed to have been infected with Covid previously then it would give a great steer as to what percentage of people have actually had Covid so far, either with symptoms or without

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Mrs Hats gets jabbed on Thursday and is shitting it, since her Mum who is in our bubble was rotten sick for a week.  I've taken Friday off work in anticipation.

again most people are absolutely fine .... loads getting jabs in my workplace now I only know 1 that has needed time off ... a young lad that had to go home ... but was back to work 24hrs later .... dont forget we will probably hear about the people who are worst hit .... and not the ones who are absolutely fine ... 

Tyrolean Valley around Schwarz will be included in an international Study from the EU. Schwaz has been one Hotspot of the South African Variant in Europe. The EU has given 100.000 extra Biotech/Pfizer vaccines to Austria to vaccinate the whole population of the valley and then evaluate the results.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

again most people are absolutely fine .... loads getting jabs in my workplace now I only know 1 that has needed time off ... a young lad that had to go home ... but was back to work 24hrs later .... dont forget we will probably hear about the people who are worst hit .... and not the ones who are absolutely fine ... 

Yeah, my Mum and Dad have both been jabbed, Pfizer and AZ respectively with no ill effects, but I didn't mention those because it's less interesting, so I've given an unbalanced impression.

This might be nonsense but maybe some of the more severe reactions people are having are people *who currently have COVID* - loads of people must be getting jabs who have a mild or asymptomatic infection, there's still plenty of cases around. I can imagine the bodies reaction there being somewhat different?

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah im not massively expecting them to get everyone jabbed earlier than their stated targets now

It's becoming clear that the figures I'd posted on here might be a tad optimistic but they're still talking about absolutely bumper weeks in the second half of March. I continue to believe that the reason for the grand reopening on 21 June is because all adults will be offered a vaccine by the end of May so the protection is there for anyone who wants it before we all go burning face nappies and having orgies.

8 minutes ago, august1 said:

Do you think they'll be moving down to over 50 next week then?

By my guesswork based on the vaccine calculator app they are currently on  group 6 - any age with underlying health conditions  AND on the 2nd doses for group 1 and 2.      50-55 years old is group 9.   Still have to get through groups 7 and 8 first - estimated 8 million people in those 2 groups  - the youngest of the baby boomers!

That is the plan - although there are exeptions as reported on this forum.

1 minute ago, Lizzim said:

Still have to get through groups 7 and 8 first - estimated 8 million people in those 2 groups  - the youngest of the baby boomers!

Think that was the early number that included a lot of duplication with the Vulnerable groups and Care/Health workers a lot of those 8 million will have already been offered it by now - the current official estimate is 1.8 million should be offered a dose as part of Group 7 and 2.4 million as part of Group 8.

• Like 1

Just now, Barry Fish said:

It seems like a real postcode lottery.  I think they need to carry on though.  If one part of the country is ahead of another for whatever reasons it would seem arbitrary to tell them to sit around doing nothing until the others catch up.

I agree with this - it's about absolute numbers, not equality around the country. It'll help everyone eventually the quicker it gets done