When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah interesting. If true could be a lot more people suffering as we go down the age groups, so I guess we'll see.

Just anecdotal but more people seeming to have issues after AZ than Pfizer so far. The ones I mentioned before were all AZ but my partner's dad had Pfizer and he was fine.

I've got the missus who can't get out of bed, a daughter stressing out about mock GCSEs she's doing at home, and a dog with kennel cough. It's all going on.

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I've got the missus who can't get out of bed, a daughter stressing out about mock GCSEs she's doing at home, and a dog with kennel cough. It's all going on.

I hope you manage to sort things out and everyone gets better!

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I hope you manage to sort things out and everyone gets better!

Me too! Actually, it's not that bad. The missus is just in bed all the time and every now and again I check she's still alive, the kid's last exam is this morning, and the dog is mostly better but I have to keep him socially distanced from other dogs for a few weeks which he isn't happy about as he loves sniffing other dog's bums.

Had my vaccine yesterday (Oxford).

as much as it’s great news I feel 10x iller than having the virus itself. Whole bodies stiff, massive migraine, shivering in the night and generally feeling rotten. Couldn’t even hold a cup of water. Feel a little better now but Jesus. 

Though if that’s the price to pay for normality, I’m willing to make that sacrifice. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Me too! Actually, it's not that bad. The missus is just in bed all the time and every now and again I check she's still alive, the kid's last exam is this morning, and the dog is mostly better but I have to keep him socially distanced from other dogs for a few weeks which he isn't happy about as he loves sniffing other dog's bums.

😂 good old dogs. 

Been AstraZeneca'd this morning. Very smooth process and was in and out in 10 mins (but told to wait in car for 15 mins in case of any side effects). I was definitely the youngest there (26) and the person administering the jab said she thought I was a carer, otherwise it may have been a mistake to call me so soon even though I have asthma!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Been AstraZeneca'd this morning. Very smooth process and was in and out in 10 mins (but told to wait in car for 15 mins in case of any side effects). I was definitely the youngest there (26) and the person administering the jab said she thought I was a carer, otherwise it may have been a mistake to call me so soon even though I have asthma!

Congrats, I hope you have no side effects!

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Congrats, I hope you have no side effects!

Thanks, it didn't hurt at all but I am slightly nervous reading the last 2 pages in particular detailing the bad side effects people have been having! We will see tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, zahidf said:

some of the doomonger eggheads will see zero deaths for a week and willl insist on another 3 months lockdown 'just in case'

Whenever you say stuff like that I mentally substitute "eggheads" or "nerds" with "people that are smarter than me". Anyone else getting frustrated should try it!

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Hate to say it but I think I actually agree with this. I'm all for caution, but if things are looking superduper earlier than expected then maybe they could speed things up....why not?

It's an option. Especially for the restrictions around meeting people in homes and such.

From an economic perspective it's less clear cut.

There's a benefit to having continued lockdown: it pushes NHS numbers down even further, letting the NHS get back to normal more quickly, meaning we can be much more resilient if something else unexpected crops up: a new variant that can escape the vaccine, or makes children ill or whatever. Like Zahidf says, it's not worth having a lockdown for those scenarios "just in case" but it is a benefit. It's not entirely pointless.

But in terms of the economy, at this point certainty is quite possibly more beneficial than being able to reopen a few weeks earlier. Most businesses would rather be "guaranteed" middle of May, than have "probably" start of May. It gives them the ability to plan, which is something many haven't been able to do all year. I'm already seeing loads of businesses planning promotions for that week, pushing marketing about the big re-opening and so forth, and then there's the logistics: getting staff in place and off furlough, recruiting new staff as many furloughed people have sought employment elsewhere (and it has been available - those companies that have made major lay-offs generally do it as a huge restructuring and change of business model, which creates vacancies in areas where they didn't previously employee people). Then there's the whole supply chain - breweries need to get back in a few weeks ahead of pubs, food wholesalers need to switch their business model back from anything else they've been doing to supply restaurants, and so on.

There's a massive benefit to having a day that we can be 99% confident in, instead of 70% confident. To the point that it may well outweigh 2-4 weeks of additional trading. Plus you get the side benefit of easing NHS pressure even more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jcatley said:

Causing uproar with some on twitter but for me people are reading too much into this. Even once we open up in June there are still going to be industries affected until the world in general is fully open. This will be to protect those jobs.

It's absolutely the right thing to do but I can see the issues with it - especially if it's just a free for all like last time. Because a month's holiday on 80% pay in August with everything open is a very different proposition to what furlough has been so far. I can certainly see more creative firms using it to "reward" staff with free holidays if no restrictions are in place.

10 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

I think they should have aligned the furlough end date with the lockdown easing date. So furlough will go on until all lockdown measures have eased plus another month say. That would give business owners some certainty that they know their businesses are safe until things get back to relative normality. If lockdown ends in May/June then I can't think there will be many businesses who wouldnt want to resume trading to cover the summer holiday months,  businesses and employees need to get back to work as soon as they can, not least for their own mental health. Especially in the hospitality sector, I can't see which businesses currently benefitting most from furlough will be kick started again from October, as the holiday season finishes. We need viable businesses employees' back to work as soon as it is safe to do so, I am not sure if such an extended safety net helps a great deal

I think hospitality will want to reopen quickly for sure, but they are far from the only place furlough has been used. We mostly see it as companies "shutting down" and furloughing staff but the reality is loads of companies are still operating with some staff on furlough, or part time furlough. Demand has fallen in loads of places: finance, law, construction, commercial real estate - a huge proportion of your typical "office jobs" have continued to exist but with lower demand and companies have been furloughing as required. It'll take a while for the demand to ramp back up for these services.

42 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Had my vaccine yesterday (Oxford).

as much as it’s great news I feel 10x iller than having the virus itself. Whole bodies stiff, massive migraine, shivering in the night and generally feeling rotten. Couldn’t even hold a cup of water. Feel a little better now but Jesus. 

Though if that’s the price to pay for normality, I’m willing to make that sacrifice. 

This might even be a ridiculous suggestion but do we think that it’s likely that there is any correlation between how bad your reaction to AZ vaccine is and how badly you would have been affected by Covid?

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

That vaccine has floored my partner. She had it early saturday afternoon, was mostly ok rest of day, bit of a sore arm. On Sunday she started feeling crappy, had a temperature, went to bed. On Monday she was doing ok, but then got really tired and was out of it most of the day. Yesterday she was in bed all day with a migraine. Got up at one point and tried to eat something, threw up and went back to bed. Have to see what today brings!

I guess if this is her reaction to the vaccine then thank god and didn't get the actual virus.

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

This might even be a ridiculous suggestion but do we think that it’s likely that there is any correlation between how bad your reaction to AZ vaccine is and how badly you would have been affected by Covid?

I have read from some fairly decent sources that this might be a correlation.

A little nervous for my jab as I was laid out for 5 days by a virus-thing back middle of last March. Symptoms - head and body aches, shivers, fever, no appetite, extreme fatigue - sleeping from 6pm - 8am every night which is nothing like me at all, I usually struggle to sleep!

Almost certainly Covid-19, but can't prove either way as you weren't getting tested back then unless you were in a severe state. 3 friends all had pretty much exactly the same also.

My dumb brain had assumed it would be the opposite - if you've already had Covid-19, your body already knows how to fight it off so it shouldn't cause an issue?? - @Toilet Duck - SORRY!

Edited by Mellotr0n

2 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

I have read from some fairly decent sources that this might be a correlation.

A little nervous for my jab as I was laid out for 5 days (with about 1-2 weeks after effects) by a virus-thing back middle of last March. Almost certainly Covid-19, but can't prove either way as you weren't getting tested back then unless you were in a severe state. 3 friends all had pretty much exactly the same also.

My dumb brain had assumed it would be the opposite - if you've alreayd had Covid-19, your body already knows how to fight it off so it shouldn't cause an issue?? - @Toilet Duck - SORRY!

Howdy,

What seems to be coming through (though it's far from certain at the moment) is that those that have recovered from COVID are having more side effects (the big mobilisation of the immune response where our body thinks we are being infected again). So, many of those with the stronger side effects may well have had an asymptomatic/mild infection previously that they were unaware of. There's obviously lots of people in this group as they would have only been tested if they were close contacts and not that many people are getting antibody tests so we really dot know what proportion of the population had unconfirmed infections over the last year. There's not that many studies on this yet, but biologically, it does make sense. Even though people are reporting feeling rough though, so far, the vast majority self-resolve with some rest and paracetamol, there remains very few people that actually need medical attention, which tallies with what was seen in the trials. Having said all that, immune responses vary a lot!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Howdy,

What seems to be coming through (though it's far from certain at the moment) is that those that have recovered from COVID are having more side effects (the big mobilisation of the immune response where our body thinks we are being infected again). So, many of those with the stronger side effects may well have had an asymptomatic/mild infection previously that they were unaware of. There's obviously lots of people in this group as they would have only been tested if they were close contacts and not that many people are getting antibody tests so we really dot know what proportion of the population had unconfirmed infections over the last year. There's not that many studies on this yet, but biologically, it does make sense. Even though people are reporting feeling rough though, so far, the vast majority self-resolve with some rest and paracetamol, there remains very few people that actually need medical attention, which tallies with what was seen in the trials. Having said all that, immune responses vary a lot!

I'd upvote if I could. I can't explain how reassuring it is having you around. Really appreciated.

27 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

We mostly see it as companies "shutting down" and furloughing staff but the reality is loads of companies are still operating with some staff on furlough, or part time furlough. Demand has fallen in loads of places: finance, law, construction, commercial real estate - a huge proportion of your typical "office jobs" have continued to exist but with lower demand and companies have been furloughing as required.

I’m currently working a 3 day week with the rest of time on furlough. Simply because the physical stores aren’t open to sell the goods we make. 

A large percentage of our business is based on online sales but without the retailers open the full demand just isn’t there. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I hope your partner recovers soon.

It may not be the vaccine it has to be said - specially if its gone on this long ?

yeah, maybe...she is prone to migraines and maybe this just triggered one and now she has to see it out.

Also, interesting what toiletduck says about those who have had the virus before suffering more from side effects...she was ill with something at the end of Feb 2020, went down to London for the weekend and came back with some lurgy that gave her a persistent cough for ages and she was in bed with a temperature for a few days, but there was a reasonable amount of snot too. So, don't know, don't think it was covid, but don't know for sure. I also caught it off her, and had similar symptoms but not so bad, also felt a shortness of breath. But, lots of snot too, so maybe just a bad cold.