When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

oh yeah but if deaths and hospitalisation are going down after opening up schools and after April, seems perverse to stick to restrictions past then to the same degree

Don’t forget the Boris bonus of opening up early for the May bank holiday (local elections just after).

5 things I’m looking forward to:

1. Seeing friends and family ‘properly’ - going into their houses and hugging and everything

2. Cinema

3. Live music

4. Holiday

5. A comedy or theatre show

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

We did still loose a plane load of people today ... 😞 and yep things are on the up ... we are still in lockdown though and that in part is the reason for low cases ... we went fast before and look how many lives that lost ... clearly the vaccine is and will make a difference too but cautious optimism is where I am at the moment . 

This is an important point, we are still seeing roughly 300 people a day dying. Hospitals are still busy too. We need to go cautiously to make sure we get these figures down lower and keep them low. Looking at the vaccination rate we’ll be in a good position to give most people their 1st dose and then have the 3 week period pass in time for the end of the roadmap, so I think the cautious approach is the right one. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is an important point, we are still seeing roughly 300 people a day dying. Hospitals are still busy too. We need to go cautiously to make sure we get these figures down lower and keep them low. Looking at the vaccination rate we’ll be in a good position to give most people their 1st dose and then have the 3 week period pass in time for the end of the roadmap, so I think the cautious approach is the right one. 

300 deaths based on infections weeks ago before most vaccines started doing their job.  

This Saturday marks the end of a public health crisis in this country, that is the day that all over 80’s and extremely vulnerable have received at least 1 dose of a vaccine + 3 weeks for it to gain effectiveness. 

Meanwhile we are racing through the over 50’s, which should be done by the end of March, give them 3 weeks for their protection to kick in and there is no excuse not to bring every step forward one. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But that's the plan. They're supposed to continue to go down. Then we try the next stage, and the next and so on.

This is part of step 3 from 17th May:

The government will also allow some larger performances and sporting events in indoor venues with a capacity of 1,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number), and in outdoor venues with a capacity of 4,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number). In the largest outdoor seated venues, where crowds can be spread out, up to 10,000 people will be able to attend (or a quarter-full, whichever is lower).

If they are going to press ahead with those types of events then they aren’t going to want to move things closer as they’ll want to see the impact of these types of events with people spectating before looking at moving onto the final step.

I don’t think they would want to move the steps forward and have certain things clash with this.

1 hour ago, BobWillis2 said:

300 deaths based on infections weeks ago before most vaccines started doing their job.  

This Saturday marks the end of a public health crisis in this country, that is the day that all over 80’s and extremely vulnerable have received at least 1 dose of a vaccine + 3 weeks for it to gain effectiveness. 

Meanwhile we are racing through the over 50’s, which should be done by the end of March, give them 3 weeks for their protection to kick in and there is no excuse not to bring every step forward one. 

Racing through the over 50s?  Where?  I'm still waiting for the over 60s.   Probably around April for me.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Causing uproar with some on twitter but for me people are reading too much into this. Even once we open up in June there are still going to be industries affected until the world in general is fully open. This will be to protect those jobs.

Just now, Jcatley said:

Causing uproar with some on twitter but for me people are reading too much into this. Even once we open up in June there are still going to be industries affected until the world in general is fully open. This will be to protect those jobs.

Well it better not indicate they want to lock us up until September 'just in case-

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Dont mind us in America, we think the pandemic is over after letting our citizens freeze to death in Texas.

people reacted that way about Florida tbf, and look - they are completely open and have a lower death rate than many states with lockdown measures (including California which also has a warm climate).

Edited by ryan1992
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ryan1992 said:

people reacted that way about Florida tbf, and look - they are completely open and have a lower death rate than many states with lockdown measures. 

They are 100% lying about their figures though. Prosecuting doctors trying to tell the truth

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/876584284/fired-florida-data-scientist-launches-a-coronavirus-dashboard-of-her-own

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Well it better not indicate they want to lock us up until September 'just in case-

I certainly don’t see it like that. Unfortunately certain industries (airlines being one I can immediately think of) are going to have a downturn in work for a while until a strong proportion of the world is operating fully open. We can’t just cut those jobs off in June because we are free to go to the pub.

I can certainly see why people are seeing it the other way, but I think this is just to reassure the workers in those industries.

5 minutes ago, ryan1992 said:

people reacted that way about Florida tbf, and look - they are completely open and have a lower death rate than many states with lockdown measures (including California which also has a warm climate).

What was said above me and the most at risk people are getting vaccinated anyway which is a huge chunk of their population. But yeah, if you fake your statistics its gonna look like youre working miracles.

And yeah, we can vaccinate every teacher in a couple of weeks if wanted to btw. 

right now the covid bill needs to get passed like tomorrow because its going to end up being this giant stalling tactic where the gop will make it look like we dont need any of it. Just like back in August when it was bad and they just let it all expire cause there were signs of it getting kind of better. Insane that we will have gone a year in between giant relief bills and there shouldve been like 3 passed last year alone.

Edited by Suprefan

7 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

It’s going to be a safety net, just in case we need to row back at all the furlough scheme will be there.

At last some support for the Newly Self Employed, but 600,000 is not the correct amount according to recent ONS data.

Least some of the #ExcludedUK will now get some much needed support.

https://www.gapsinsupportappg.org/news/newly-self-employed-support-a-drop-in-the-ocean

32 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

Racing through the over 50s?  Where?  I'm still waiting for the over 60s.   Probably around April for me.

We’re working through the early 60s in Sheffield.  Me and Mr mandolin both booked in for next week.  I managed to book online over the weekend (due to someone mentioning the possibility on here) before the letter arrived today.  Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.  Just need your NHS number, date of birth and postcode.  I managed to find my NHS number by googling “how do I find my NHS number”!  (Just in case that’s a missing bit of the puzzle for you, as it was for me)

• Like 1

TBH as it stands things are looking good but I think we need to remember that the majority of us are still staying at home. We're not going out to meet people, go for a drink, mixing households e.c.t. Once those are allowed, we should see a spike. Also need to consider that whatever restrictions are lifted,  people will take the liberty. We are all burnt out and gained a safety net with the vaccines. My parents are vaccinated so if there was an opportunity to have a few drinks with friends at their house in April I think I would.

So its a balanced moved. Personally I would love it that restrictions were lifted before the euros if we were to host the whole tournament