When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Vaccine in "doing what vaccines do" shocker.

No doubt one of the usual suspects will be along in a minute to tell us that "we still don't know if it cuts transmission though"

To be fair, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they are apparently preventing transmission...it was hinted at by Pfizer early on, but taken with a pinch of salt, however, it's certainly way better than I had hoped it would be and way better than some other vaccines, flu in particular...(and yes, this is the one area where variants do have an impact, however, the pre-print @zahidf posted earlier from Shane Crotty and friends looks like it confirms in detail what we have been saying all along and the rest of our immune system is well able for whatever the virus throws at us once we have been vaccinated or previously infected and recovered). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
typos!

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

Come on then you lot, something a bit more positive to think about - What 5 things are you most looking forward to, when we can?

It's a tenuous link but I just came across this video (oddly whilst looking for videos of Alabama 3 at glasto) in terms of what i'm most looking forward to it's scenes like this. Once we are back to this it means that life is back to it's brilliant best in all facets.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's a tenuous link but I just came across this video (oddly whilst looking for videos of Alabama 3 at glasto) in terms of what i'm most looking forward to it's scenes like this. Once we are back to this it means that life is back to it's brilliant best in all facets.

Great video! I don’t think we need to go back 20 years though! Also, it’s that an Ali G puppet? Didn’t think he’d been about that long! 

As a 50 year old farty family man my social life is not that much different whether I'm locked down or not, long gone are the days where partying hard and trying to get my end of way were high up in my list of priorities...and infact it's a bonus not having to go into the office...so I might just stay locked down.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

As a 50 year old farty family man my social life is not that much different whether I'm locked down or not, long gone are the days where partying hard and trying to get my end of way were high up in my list of priorities...and infact it's a bonus not having to go into the office...so I might just stay locked down.

I don’t really hear many people that want to go back to the office. The majority of people at my work don’t want to go back and are happy WFH. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Top five thing to do after lockdown

1. Be one of those free hugs guys

2. Orgies

3. Gigs

4. Buffets

5. Petting zoo

I worry how some of these may be consciously or subconsciously linked in your head (1, 2 and 5 in particular)

Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter, a statistician from the University of Cambridge, told the World at One that the impact of the vaccination rollout on Covid cases was “better than anyone expected”. He said:

The latest death registrations refer to events from a few weeks ago but if we look at what is happening every day as we see on the [government’s coronavirus] dashboard, we can see that deaths in the over-65s - one of the vaccinated age groups - are now halving every week.

We all sort of hoped something like this might happen but, frankly, it is better than anyone expected, I think.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

1. Daughter being able to socilaise with friends normally. 2. seeing friends & family  3. Pub/restaurant/cinema. 4. gigs/festivals. 5 shopping.

Actually found it quite difficult to think of 5...that's why I have shopping in there.

get yourself down to the Trafford Centre when you're allowed to remind yourself what shopping is really like 😄

4 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Do you know what the rough time scale is for people there over the age of 60 to be vaccinated? One of my friends is Canadian, so just wondering when their parents can expect to be vaccinated

It varies from Province to Province.  In Ontario (most populated province), they announced that over 60's should be done by end July, which is shockingly slow and I honestly think it will be done way before then.   The Federal Government (Justin Trudeau) has promised all people who want a vaccine will be done by September.  Whether that means fully inoculated or just one shot who knows.  Vaccine roll out over here has been shocking slow so far.

• Upvote 1

I’m looking forward to days when I don’t come home thinking fucking hell im glad I’m alive after that shift ... yeah I know covid wouldn’t floor me at the time but it’s odd how the mind works ... and yes the jab helps but my concerns do run for others .. 

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

If this happens theres no way Boris won't accelerate too

More to do with accelerating it in time for  the elections in May  -  she has been going much slower than England and the  rumblings  from the electorate arent looking promising.

53 minutes ago, zahidf said:

World beating

Just a shame it takes about 3 weeks to get anything useful like stopping 'dangerous' variants slipping past! 

Apparently the Day 2 tests from the Test Package for all arrivals are being used for variant detection, time they get back to anyone it would be too late anyway (they assume people are self-isolating but a lot won't), really needs to be quicker.