When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, st dan said:

CB2BCD62-EE06-4DBB-AE27-08075C21E7BF.thumb.jpeg.01cb94519b39f28217a28c331ab447fe.jpeg

That £12bn he initially outlined to fight coronavirus ended up all being used on a failed Test & Trace system.
Bravo Rishi. 

February 2021: Rathbones’ head of asset allocation research, Ed Smith: "The UK had the second worst economic outcome in 2020 out of the 42 countries we keep an eye on. Only Spain contracted by more."

Hi Ed, Rishi here, I think I can help you with your communication skills and public messaging. Also and by no means linked - are you interested in joining the House of Lords? Or perhaps you'd like to have a go at making some PPE. Yeah I know you work in asset management but just do your best!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Have the lateral flow tests got any better?

In terms of using them on school kids which is circa 9 million tests twice a week is there going to be an issue with the volume of false positives?

Even at a 0.005% (I think the margin of error is even bigger than that) false positive rate that’s 9000 in a week?!

1 hour ago, BobWillis2 said:

The FP rate is roughly 0.3% with the innova tests. 
The numbers of kids and families needlessly self isolating is going to be huge. 

Positive lateral flow tests will be followed up by PCR tests for the kids and their families so don’t think it will be too much of an issue. 

Just now, stuie said:

Positive lateral flow tests will be followed up by PCR tests for the kids and their families so don’t think it will be too much of an issue. 

There are new lateral flow tests that have been developed that are as reliable as PCRs.

Not in use yet but bodes well for the future (and for events).

Just now, stuie said:

I guess the question is then to ask if the lateral flow test results will be included in the daily stats?

If it's only PCR tests then that's great but if they are included then it's going to screw with the data massively isn't it?

10 hours ago, TorontoScot said:

I live in Toronto and although the vaccine committee does not recommend it in over 65's (contrary to Health Canada's advice), it's completely up to the individual provinces which age group they decide to give it to.  

Do you know what the rough time scale is for people there over the age of 60 to be vaccinated? One of my friends is Canadian, so just wondering when their parents can expect to be vaccinated

13 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Not any more they won’t. Government changed policy. 

According to the info being sent out by schools in Kent, positive lateral flow tests will mean the whole family will be asked to take pcr tests. 

@JoeyT I believe it’s individuals testing positive that are counted, not the tests they take.

Edited by stuie

This morning Public Health England came out with a further reason to welcome the findings. The data published yesterday only covered the impact of the vaccines on people above the age of 70. In an interview on the Today programme this morning, Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at PHE, was asked if the vaccines would be as effective on a younger cohort. She replied:

Yes. If anything, we’d expect it to be to be stronger, a stronger protection from the vaccine.

The only difference obviously is that lower down in the age ranges people’s chances of being hospitalised and dying are much lower, because obviously this is a disease that has caused most of its morbidity in older people. So, we wouldn’t be able maybe to see the effect as markedly as we’ve been able to in this group that were vaccinated first.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

What on earth are you talking about? It’s his own business whether he wants vaccinated or not 

Umm, really?

He's the recent President of the USA. A position that carries enormous responsability.

It's called leading by example.

Your view is insane. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

According to the info being sent out by schools in Kent, positive lateral flow tests will mean the whole family will be asked to take pcr tests. 

@JoeyT I believe it’s individuals testing positive that are counted, not the tests they take.

you can't do pcr tests at home, can you? So far we've just been told that kid has to do lateral test when goes into school next week, that's it (S Manchester).