When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Quite surprising it got so bad there. They were one of the first countries to close their borders and neighbouring Slovakia was one of the first countries to test their whole country. I thought they took the right initial steps. 

She told me there was a complete disregard for any personal responsibility out there ... facemasks and distancing ... don’t know if that is just her experiences though 

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That "vaccine effect " chart looks dodgy to me, what happened to the 70-80 year olds? why has he left them out? Also if the 80+ age group were the most affected by deaths during the year and during the winter peak there are bound to be fewer of them now and so a relative decrease in deaths among that age group could well be something other than the vaccine effect. May just be that the weakest of the 80+ people have already gone.

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

That "vaccine effect " chart looks dodgy to me, what happened to the 70-80 year olds? why has he left them out? Also if the 80+ age group were the most affected by deaths during the year and during the winter peak there are bound to be fewer of them now and so a relative decrease in deaths among that age group could well be something other than the vaccine effect. May just be that the weakest of the 80+ people have already gone.

3 hours ago, danmarks said:

Try b and m! No gaurantees but they appear to have random flavours and drinks there.

Brothers said a few years ago they stopped making it unfortunately..... so anything in B&M now might be out of date lol

Thanks anyway 🙂

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

She told me there was a complete disregard for any personal responsibility out there ... facemasks and distancing ... don’t know if that is just her experiences though 

I've got a mate who lives in Prague and by all accounts last summer was basically 'normal' in terms of everything open, no masks etc., and they've never really been able to get people to properly adhere to any of the rules since.

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And on the other side, as best I'm aware Janssen/J+J haven't made any public statements either way about UK deliveries. The official Government statement said that the order is due "in the second half of the year", and so unless/until we hear otherwise that's the assumption to work to.

Novavax is already being manufactured at scale and the supply chain is largely domestic, so should be able to hit the ground running with decent supply whenever approval comes. However...

56 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

There's no sign of MHRA approval for any of them is there yet? 

Not yet.. It sounds like Janssen / J+J approval have been focussing on getting their approvals in the US (which happened a couple days ago) and the EU (which should come pretty soon). Which backs up the idea that we're further down the priority list.

Whereas the publicly announced data for Novavax is based on a lot fewer cases than the numbers than the Pfizer/AZ/Moderna approvals used - so while it looks like they'll be ready to ship to us very soon, there's a decent chance that actual delivery has to wait for the approval.

Having said all that, because the UK is looking at these on a rolling review basis (definitely for Novavax, and I think for Janssen), it's quite possible that the approval for either could come with little or even no warning. The regulators probably (hopefully) have more data for Novavax by now than was in that initial press release a month ago.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

His explanation seems entirely reasonable to me.  You want to compare two pure data sets.

Just didn't look very convincing to me! However I'm pretty sceptical, but I've just checked the data on cases which gives a 0-59 and 60plus age split and can confirm the over 60 age group fell from 42% of cases in early November to 36% in the latest figures, so that would suggest a trend to the lower age group so his conclusion may well be correct.

Have the lateral flow tests got any better?

In terms of using them on school kids which is circa 9 million tests twice a week is there going to be an issue with the volume of false positives?

Even at a 0.005% (I think the margin of error is even bigger than that) false positive rate that’s 9000 in a week?!

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Good point (that's life on 50/50 furlough for you!).

I get it.. I do similar on a summer/winter split 😉

Reading the article, it's £400m for some museums, theatres etc but then a link to a story saying £5bn for saving the high street.

There needs to be a higher level of support for the arts especially live music venues, festivals and the supply chains especially if nothing is looking to be back till end of June at earliest.

So with over a third of the adult population already vaccinated Nicola has decided that when we return to the tier system at the end of April the tier's need to be stricter than they were in the autumn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56237471

Meanwhile tomorrow she is using the fact it is budget day to hide as far as possible her appearance at the Salmond enquiry where she will lie about her lying to parliament. In an appearance that will be cut short due to a four nations call that is unmissable despite her missing one last week to do her press conference.

After all of this we have an election in May where the question is not can such a corrupt politician cling on to her job but just how large will her victory be. The emotional heft of independence drowns out all concerns in ways that eclipse even the most blinkered Brexiteer.

Edited by mcshed

8 minutes ago, mcshed said:

So with over a third of the adult population already vaccinated Nicola has decided that when we return to the tier system at the end of April the tier's need to be stricter than they were in the autumn.

Meanwhile tomorrow she is using the fact it is budget day to hide as far as possible her appearance at the Salmond enquiry where she will lie about her lying to parliament. In an appearance that will be cut short due to a four nations call that is unmissable despite her missing one last week to do her press conference.

After all of this we have an election in May where the question is not can such a corrupt politician cling on to her job but just how large will get victory be. The emotional heft of independence drowns out all concerns in ways that eclipse even the most blinkered Brexiteer.

Crazy scenes from old sturgeon. She really loves keeping people locked up it seems.  

18 minutes ago, mcshed said:

After all of this we have an election in May where the question is not can such a corrupt politician cling on to her job but just how large will her victory be. The emotional heft of independence drowns out all concerns in ways that eclipse even the most blinkered Brexiteer.

Sturgeon is genuinely going nuts over this. Authoritarian witch. 

21 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Nice precis - thanks. I can't be bothered with the news much at the mo (like Groundhog Day) so that was very interesting!

37 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Have the lateral flow tests got any better?

In terms of using them on school kids which is circa 9 million tests twice a week is there going to be an issue with the volume of false positives?

Even at a 0.005% (I think the margin of error is even bigger than that) false positive rate that’s 9000 in a week?!

The FP rate is roughly 0.3% with the innova tests. 
The numbers of kids and families needlessly self isolating is going to be huge. 

23 minutes ago, mcshed said:

That’s independent SAGE levels of restrictions. Not sure how they can be justified if admissions and deaths don’t increase. 

16 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

The FP rate is roughly 0.3% with the innova tests. 
The numbers of kids and families needlessly self isolating is going to be huge. 

Are false positives caused by a problem with the test or something within the person? If the test is the problem then presumably they just retest before telling the person to isolate just in case its a FP?