When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

So this government allows somebody to fly to the Caribbean (for example) for whatever purpose they see fit, and abide to little/no social distancing measures with people from all over the world whilst there, then come back into the country and don’t have to quarantine. 

But I can’t have a cup of tea with my mum in the back garden. 

We had something like this last year didn't we. Where we could go sit in a pub with a load of strangers in there yet couldn't go into your parents house.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So much to question in this statement.

In the Caribbean (for example) the covid levels are way lower than the UK.
And according to the law they have to have a valid purpose to go.

They do have social distancing there, social distancing is not just a UK phenomenon.

There are people from all over the world there in the same way there are people from all over the world in the UK.

While they are there, they are no longer a risk to people in the UK.

And they have to pass a test to return.

And they do have to isolate when they come back.

And then they have to take a further 2 tests upon their return.

That's not all true. My friend lives on Grand Cayman. Been tottaly normal since the summer, they had closed boarders for a while after this. 

You can travel there now but you have to quarentine in a hotel for 2 weeks if you don't own a property there, if you live there you have to stay at home for 14 days, tagged.

You can go on holiday if you want, if your prepared to spend more than 2 weeks there your then free to do as you wish. It's totally normal. 

Some people have been imprisoned for breaking the rules. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

That's not all true. My friend lives on Grand Cayman. Been tottaly normal since the summer, they had closed boarders for a while after this. 

You can travel there now but you have to quarentine in a hotel for 2 weeks if you don't own a property there, if you live there you have to stay at home for 14 days, tagged. You can go on holiday if you want, if your prepared to spend more than 2 weeks there your then free to do as you wish. It's totally normal. 

Some people have been imprisoned for breaking the rules. 

Doesn't that only reinforce what I was saying.

In other words, it's even tougher to go to the Caribbean!

Just now, xxialac said:

Doesn't that only reinforce what I was saying.

In other words, it's even tougher to go to the Caribbean!

The point I was making was that nobody is checking the reason that people are flying abroad and then returning to the UK - so I would guess a substantial proportion of those in the Daily Mail photos from today have been away for non-essential travel, whatever that is deemed as. 

Just now, st dan said:

The point I was making was that nobody is checking the reason that people are flying abroad and then returning to the UK - so I would guess a substantial proportion of those in the Daily Mail photos from today have been away for non-essential travel, whatever that is deemed as. 

Ah, sorry, yes that is very true.

Blame the recklessness of the government.

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Not really, there is zero social distancing, zero mask requirement no restrictions other than around international travel and has been for months. 

I thought you said going there meant having to quarantine for 14 days indoors and with risk of getting imprisoned if you don't comply.

That doesn't sound equivalent to seeing your mum for a cup of tea.

26 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

The gap is kind of fixed though as previously, cases were a good predictor of downstream hospitalisation and mortality, but hopefully now they won’t be (so when we opened up in Ireland last summer, there were 3 week gaps, but there’s a bigger lag between cases and morbidity/mortality, so need to wait a bit longer between steps to see what the impact is on the things we are trying to stop this time). No reason why things can’t be moved to earlier phases though if the data supports it, but sensible to have the 5 weeks between each stage. 

Ah fair enough. Maybe open more low risk stuff up like cinemas/museums e.t.c in April

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I thought you said going there meant having to quarantine for 14 days indoors and with risk of getting imprisoned if you don't comply.

That doesn't sound equivalent to seeing your mum for a cup of tea.

The point I was making with that statement is that if a police officer saw me having a cup of tea with my mum in the back garden then she would be asked to leave, with the possibility of a fine for breaking lockdown rules. 
But if that same police officer was on duty at the airport, they would have no way of knowing, or even questioning, if a young couple are flying out to ‘country x’ for a weekend of partying. 

Edited by st dan
Not Dubai - that’s on the naughty red list!

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

The point I was making with that statement is that if a police officer saw me having a cup of tea with my mum in the back garden then she would be asked to leave, with the possibility of a fine for breaking lockdown rules. 
But that same police officer would have no way of knowing if a young couple are flying out to Dubai for a weekend partying. 

The stakes are far, far worse for the couple if they are caught. They've spent ages packing and travelling, they've booked a flight they've paid for and will now lose, they've booked accommodation they'll lose, presumably time off work too. And according to the rules they too can get the possibility of a fine for breaking lockdown rules.

The police do have the power to challenge them. Ask for documents that explain why they are going to country x. Ask for details on where they are staying. Look at their suitcases. Follow up any information they are given. This is basic police work.

The problem is they don't. There are no police or border force checking reasons for travelling on outbound flights at airports.

This is Patel's decision. 

Edited by xxialac

10 minutes ago, st dan said:

But if that same police officer was on duty at the airport, they would have no way of knowing, or even questioning, if a young couple are flying out to ‘country x’ for a weekend of partying. 

I reckon the answer is to meet your mum at the airport for a cup of tea. No one would question you there!

• Like 1

Actually don’t think there was anything wrong with the other European health ministers taking their time in approving the Oxford/AZ for over 65’s until there was sufficient data - it was more the articles in newspapers and comments from leading figures like Macron which made a mockery of the whole situation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Don't worry - they are all wearing magic masks

Can't believe surgeons have been wearing masks in operating theatres all these years unnecessarily! They must be so embarrassed!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

A bit of a stark reminder for me today that the pandemic remains an issue until the world gets sorted ... one of my colleagues lost her dad to covid aged 66 ... in the Czech rep ..... I believe one of the worst places in Europe ..... and a long way from getting back to any from of normality there ... she's unable to travel to support her mum .... fucking Covid 😞 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

There was a really minging sounding toffee apple one? I seem to remember us getting sent some samples at work and there not being any takers!

May sound minging, but tastes amazingly just like a toffee apple tastes I always thought. Like the toffee apple sensations you used to be able to get in Woolworths pick'n'mix.

58 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

A bit of a stark reminder for me today that the pandemic remains an issue until the world gets sorted ... one of my colleagues lost her dad to covid aged 66 ... in the Czech rep ..... I believe one of the worst places in Europe ..... and a long way from getting back to any from of normality there ... she's unable to travel to support her mum .... fucking Covid 😞 

That's rough man, sorry to hear that. Czech Republic is in a bit of trouble...UK variant running riot there.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

That's rough man, sorry to hear that. Czech Republic is in a bit of trouble...UK variant running riot there.

She was in tears telling me ... I was at a complete loss what to say or do .. 😞 hopefully things improve out there with vaccines very soon 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:50 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

So I first registered my interest with St John Ambulance for volunteering on 13th January. Since then I've done an application form, a DBS check, hours of online training and face to face training (and this is to be a patient advocate, rather than actually jabbing!). I got access to the app last week or so, about a week after I'd completed all the steps above. I now have one shift confirmed, I think, (in mid March) and haven't found anything else yet. Been a lot of admin so far! Hoping it does lead to a few shifts in the end but there seem to be easier volunteering routes than via SJA. Best of luck if going for it! 

Ahh I think I asked this Q prematurely after reading some of your later posts, didn’t realise you volunteered through SJA, I applied to the NHS one! 

Glad you’ve finally got a shift, the atmosphere at the vaccination centres is meant to be great! Thanks for your help in getting us all jabbed up!