When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

What I don't get is why isn't police there asking them if their journey for essential travel and fining them if it isn't absolutely necessary. We have police monotoring roads near us leading to beaches and fining people if they have travelled from 30 miles away because it wan't essential travel. And a walk on a beach must be infinitely less risky than people arriving from overseas, having been on a plane for several hours then queuing up at an airport. Just seems bonkers to me

Yes, complete mystery why Patel doesn't think the police should play a role in checking.

Instead they've passed the buck and are getting the airlines to check. 

So instead of a police officer, it's now some poor 20 year old at a Ryanair desk who is expected to interpret the law and interrogate the traveller.

Bonkers.

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Actually on that I haven't seen the base "festival" flavour in the shops for ages, just the fruit ones 

the decision on the lemon returning was from atwitter poll .... the festival strength was one of the options for returning .... sadly the lemon won so has been reintroduced 

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is that from her jab? (Been out of this thread over the weekend.)

yes, she had AZ on Saturday afternoon. She was feeling a bit crappy and feverish yesterday, feeling mostly better today, still a bit tired and headachy.

Edited by steviewevie

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Am i right in thinking their glastonbury stall used to have the flavours pre mixed coming out of a tap or did they always do the syrup in apple thing and I never noticed til last time?

I thought all their flavours were just syrup, on top of cider/perry weren't they?

3 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I thought all their flavours were just syrup, on top of cider/perry weren't they?

There was a really minging sounding toffee apple one? I seem to remember us getting sent some samples at work and there not being any takers!

Just now, Homer said:

There was a really minging sounding toffee apple one? I seem to remember us getting sent some samples at work and there not being any takers!

i quite like them .... but could only drink 1 bottle of that one ..... that and Parma violet I struggled with 

52 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Or their employer picks up the cost, I know a lot of people who have flown out and are returning from the Formula E race at the weekend in Diriyah.

Exactly my point about inessential travel- stuff like this 

54 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

really ? its better to keep a mask on than keep handling it when going in and out of shops isn't it ? I wonder why they do it in many asian countries ? must all be insane ... or maybe it helps ? 

I thought he meant wearing a mask whenever I leave the house. I do not feel it is necessary to wear a mask out doors in general. 

15 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

What I don't get is why the police aren't there asking them if their journey is/was for essential travel and fining them if it isn't absolutely necessary

Guess it could depend on what is essential to one person, is different to another person.
Then there is the matter of how do they prove it, not as simple with people arriving back, as everyone can just say returning home. 

There was meant to be enhanced checks on passengers departing, but surprisingly there has nothing been done and the Home Office/DHSC and DOT are all too busy passing bucks.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I have never had a nice cider.

Like most sensible people, despite being from Bristol, the only times I've ever really drunk cider were

A) When I was a child (obvs)

B) When they started putting it in glass bottles, giving me a glass of ice and charging me twice the price for it (... obvs)

Anyway, is it time for a beer?!

53 minutes ago, xxialac said:

image.thumb.png.c739ad0027f5f7b0561a7ba7dbdf4c82.pngCheck out the daily mail photos and videos.

You'd struggle to find a more ordinary looking bunch of people - no way is this some kind of privileged jetset.

All I see in this pic is confirmation that no way all these people can be traveling for ‘essential purposes’. Unless you intentionally interpret essential in a peculiar way.

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not sure I agree with this. Am pretty sure even some of the more cautious people would be (even if secretly) pleased if lockdown ends earlier. And it would be sold as a huge success - especially with the media being on side.

Some would accuse the government of u-turning but for a government that's all about optics this type of thing is important. Personally I think his 2nd point is the more important given the changes seen at those stages of the roadmap.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

All I see in this pic is confirmation that no way all these people can be traveling for ‘essential purposes’. Unless you intentionally interpret essential in a peculiar way.

I don't know how you can draw that conclusion from a picture, which represents less than a thousandth of one percent of the population.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You're a being a bit judgemental ain't ya, how the hell can you tell what they are travelling for from a photo?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

If flying out to attend the formula e race in a global pandemic is essential then I must be living in a parallel universe 

Them is the rules, like em or not. People need to work

32 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup. At the very least, have 4 weeks from April instead of 5

The gap is kind of fixed though as previously, cases were a good predictor of downstream hospitalisation and mortality, but hopefully now they won’t be (so when we opened up in Ireland last summer, there were 3 week gaps, but there’s a bigger lag between cases and morbidity/mortality, so need to wait a bit longer between steps to see what the impact is on the things we are trying to stop this time). No reason why things can’t be moved to earlier phases though if the data supports it, but sensible to have the 5 weeks between each stage. 

• Upvote 1

So this government allows somebody to fly to Dubai (for example) for whatever purpose they see fit, and abide to little/no social distancing measures with people from all over the world whilst there, then come back into the country and don’t have to quarantine. 

But I can’t have a cup of tea with my mum in the back garden. 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, st dan said:

So this government allows somebody to fly to the Caribbean (for example) for whatever purpose they see fit, and abide to little/no social distancing measures with people from all over the world whilst there, then come back into the country and don’t have to quarantine. 

they do need to isolate though ... although to what level that is happening is up for debate ...

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

So this government allows somebody to fly to the Caribbean (for example) for whatever purpose they see fit, and abide to little/no social distancing measures with people from all over the world whilst there, then come back into the country and don’t have to quarantine. 

So much to question in this statement.

In the Caribbean (for example) the covid levels are way lower than the UK.
And according to the law they have to have a valid purpose to go.

They do have social distancing there, social distancing is not just a UK phenomenon.

There are people from all over the world there in the same way there are people from all over the world in the UK.

While they are there, they are no longer a risk to people in the UK.

And they have to pass a test to return.

And they do have to isolate when they come back.

And then they have to take a further 2 tests upon their return.

Edited by xxialac