When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's amazing that one in ten people compared to normal have essential reasons to travel during an actual global pandemic. It should be a fraction of a percent. So little reason to travel unless you have a liberal use of the word 'essential'.

It's not down to the individual, it's the government that has determined what is and what isn't allowed.

The government have rules that travel is allowed for work that cannot be done from home, medical appointments, educational reasons and compassionate reasons.

It's really not a stretch to imagine that 1 in 10 passengers fall in one of these categories

• Upvote 1

I expected a supply of 5.7m vaccines in the week starting from today (78% Oxford and the rest Pfizer)

If we don't start seeing bumper days of 800k+ vaccines this week then my model is wrong and my assumption that all adults will be offered one by May is incorrect. Squeaky bum time this week.

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

Just got a text through inviting me to have my vaccine! I am having it Wednesday morning. I have very mild asthma but have never been hospitalised for it so I am very surprised I have been invited so early. 

Wonder if that's a technicality or if this is happening a lot? My GF has mild asthma so it would be good to see her get the jab

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Download Festival cancelled which is not surprising as before 21st June - until social distance rules lifted I can't see a camping festival going ahead (I'm still apprehensive about Bluedot but lets see what they say)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-56242440 

I wonder if Bluedot will move it to late summer

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder if Bluedot will move it to late summer

Bluedot is already scheduled for the second half of the (normal) festival season, so there's not a whole lot of scope to push it back far enough that it's likely to make a difference.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Bluedot is already scheduled for the second half of the (normal) festival season, so there's not a whole lot of scope to push it back far enough that it's likely to make a difference.

I'm only wondering as they sent an online survey thing out and there were a few questions about moving the festival back a number of weeks....

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's not down to the individual, it's the government that has determined what is and what isn't allowed.

The government have rules that travel is allowed for work that cannot be done from home, medical appointments, educational reasons and compassionate reasons.

It's really not a stretch to imagine that 1 in 10 passengers fall in one of these categories

Maybe individual responsibility should play a part then eh.

Love island influencers can justify trips to Dubai during all this within the rules but it doesn’t make it okay. 

And yes, it is a stretch to believe numbers as high as 1 in 10 (compared to normal times) can be traveling for justifiable reasons. Jobs requiring international travel at this time are extremely rare. 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Maybe individual responsibility should play a part then eh.

Love island influencers can justify trips to Dubai during all this within the rules but it doesn’t make it okay. 

And yes, it is a stretch to believe numbers as high as 1 in 10 (compared to normal times) can be traveling for justifiable reasons. Jobs requiring international travel at this time are extremely rare. 

Do you wear a mask outside? It's not legally required but think how often you are outside and maybe you should due to individual responsibility. In some countries that's mandatory after all...

I'm being flippant to make a point.

My own view is in a pandemic the govt should determine what is and isn't important to save lives and translate that into law. 

And they've determined that people can travel for those reasons.

Just now, xxialac said:

Do you wear a mask outside? It's not legally required but think how often you are outside and maybe you should due to individual responsibility. In some countries that's mandatory after all...

My own view is in a pandemic the govt should determine what is and isn't important to save lives and translate that into law. 

That doesn't mean there's no role for taking any additional responsibility.  I do wear a mask outside if it starts to get crowded.  I don't live in a city, so that doesn't happen very often.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That doesn't mean there's no role for taking any additional responsibility.  I do wear a mask outside if it starts to get crowded.  I don't live in a city, so that doesn't happen very often.

I pretty much agree with you and of course good to take responsibility.

My point was more: could you criticise people who don't wear a mask outside if it starts to get crowded?

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I pretty much agree with you and of course good to take responsibility.

My point was more: could you criticise people who don't wear a mask outside if it starts to get crowded?

Potentially, especially if there was strong evidence that it would make a big difference.  I've no issue in saying that it was irresponsible to go visiting family last Christmas.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Potentially, especially if there was strong evidence that it would make a big difference.  I've no issue in saying that it was irresponsible to go visiting family last Christmas.

Yes, and there's no strong evidence that e.g. someone flying from a low covid country to the UK and then passing a PCR test before returning is increasing the risk.

Arguably people choosing to spend time out of the country and then also having to get tested is reducing the risk.

Most of these people are spending a fortune on tests too. That tells you that the majority are not on a jolly but have a very substantial reason to fly like a family funeral, seeing an ill family member or seeing their children.

Edited by xxialac

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If I'm wearing a mask outside it usually means I've got 3 bags of shopping and I'm not stopping to take it off.

I’m struggling to see a scenario, barring a catastrophic failure of vaccine supply, that the government will be able to justify the speed of the current roadmap by the end of March. 
As I’ve said before once you have solid data that the vaccines have worked in the over 80’s, 70’s, extremely vulnerable and over 60’s then the rest is just a formality. We have pretty solid data on infections, transmission and severe disease, once the data on deaths is good enough there is no justification for keeping the current pace. 

3 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Steady on Sacha lad, now the weather is picking up, some of us in hospitality are gonna stretch out this furlough business for as long as possible.

Ssshhh. You're not supposed to say it. Has been a lovely few days though, and no where near as busy around here as I expected. 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I’m struggling to see a scenario, barring a catastrophic failure of vaccine supply, that the government will be able to justify the speed of the current roadmap by the end of March. 
As I’ve said before once you have solid data that the vaccines have worked in the over 80’s, 70’s, extremely vulnerable and over 60’s then the rest is just a formality. We have pretty solid data on infections, transmission and severe disease, once the data on deaths is good enough there is no justification for keeping the current pace. 

Don’t say it too loud or the variant brigade will be after you 😂

31 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Think you seem to be getting defensive about foreign travel cause you yourself have flown abroad in this pandemic. That’s your choice but it’s open to criticism. 

And no I don’t wear a mask outside cause that’s insane. 

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, and there's no strong evidence that e.g. someone flying from a low covid country to the UK and then passing a PCR test before returning is increasing the risk.

Arguably people choosing to spend time out of the country and then also having to get tested is reducing the risk.

Most of these people are spending a fortune on tests too. That tells you that the majority are not on a jolly but have a very substantial reason to fly like a family funeral, seeing an ill family member or seeing their children.

Or they’re well off and the cost of a test means nothing to them