When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

BORIS TELLS BRANIAC to BUGGER OFF

• Johnson insisted the discovery of the P1 Brazilian variant in the UK would not hold up the easing of lockdown. Asked about the comment from Prof Graham Medley, chair of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) on the Today programme this morning about this development might have to lead to opening up going being reversed (see 10.51am), Johnson said:

I haven’t heard that, and our whole strategy is to go forward in a way that is cautious but irreversible. And we don’t think that there’s any reason on this basis to change that now.

Concerning that Boris, the decision maker, hasn't "heard" that reopening could be delayed, as if someone else is telling him when he can and can't reopen. That decision is entirely his and not that of the nerds. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

FFS - this is beyond parody. 

I genuinely don't understand how people run with masks on, the breathing the sweating, overheating - plus don't they become ineffective once wet? 

Does anyone know when any good studies are due that will give some finality to this question regarding AZ (and other vaccines) and preventing serious illness/death? I know there are promising signs and indications, but when are the studies due that are specifically looking onto this? 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I genuinely don't understand how people run with masks on, the breathing the sweating, overheating - plus don't they become ineffective once wet? 

I don't have any personal experience of being able to run without sweating and overheating but I'd imagine it's related to being fit!

If the new variants are still protected by the vaccine, then why are they surge testing over 30 thousand people today due to 3 or 4 cases found? And a major manhunt underway for 1 single unidentified case..? If there's nothing to worry about then I'm totally confused by all this..

Edited by Euphoricape
Typo

7 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

If the new variants are still protected by the vaccine, then why are they surge testing over 30 thousand people today due to 3 or 4 cases found? And a major manhunt underway for 1 single unidentified case..? If there's nothing to worry about then I'm totally confused by all this..

I think the first word of your post is the reason why - we don't know for certain yet so the govt are probably trying to be safe rather than sorry (for once).

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Seriously though - where have all these people been and where are they returning from? And why? Would love to go through that queue and ask each person that question.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Seriously though - where have all these people been and where are they returning from? And why? Would love to go through that queue and ask each person that question.

Passenger numbers are down 90% (and Gatwick even worse) so it may that this remainder have essential reasons to travel.

If Border Force can only be bothered to put 2 people to man the desks of UK's main airport and they inefficiently spend 30 mins per passenger looking at all their forms, it can give the false impression of a lot of people.

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

Exactly this. Why is there that many people arriving at Healthrow to come into the UK. They aren't all flying home from essential business.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The Scottish 3 cases flew up from London on the 29th January!

Might just be a bit too late to do enhanced contact tracing, why the hell has it taken over a month to get this looked at?

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

I've been vocal on here in the last few weeks about how I think the roadmap is quite slow but I am still cringing about calling scientists 'nerds' and 'brainiacs'. It doesn't really add anything does it and it's just unnecessary? 

It's deliberate, trying to play down the expertise in their field and making them seem an inconvenience stopping people getting back to normal. That way, if there are any delays, those labelled 'nerds' and 'brainiacs' will cop the blame rather than the wonderful politicians who are rushing to free us. Avoiding blame is even more important with local elections coming up.

Happily will be one of tomorrows stats as first vaccine shot was today.

Edited by Dark Star

27 minutes ago, st dan said:

I wonder if some of this is on purpose to dissuade people from travelling. I do find the complaining a bit rich - these people were all willing to travel on the plane in close proximity to other people to then complain about being in proximity to people in a queue. It does seem like Heathrow were overwhelmed by the numbers which were higher than expected, also seems to be something else going on, from the article:

Unfortunately a large number of arrivals yesterday failed to purchase their mandatory testing packages for the second and eighth days of quarantine in the UK.

'This caused delays as they were made to purchase them after being checked by Border Force – we make absolutely no apologies for this. 

29 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Passenger numbers are down 90% (and Gatwick even worse) so it may that this remainder have essential reasons to travel.

If Border Force can only be bothered to put 2 people to man the desks of UK's main airport and they inefficiently spend 30 mins per passenger looking at all their forms, it can give the false impression of a lot of people.

It's amazing that one in ten people compared to normal have essential reasons to travel during an actual global pandemic. It should be a fraction of a percent. So little reason to travel unless you have a liberal use of the word 'essential'.