When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

57 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

The date the shit will end is confirmed.

I need to tell a little lie, I didn't mean live music, I started this thread really about a Josh Widdicombe gig that I had booked for my Wife's 39th birthday, she turned 40 in October. I have just had confirmation that is will now be in April 2022.

This shit ends in April 2022 😞

For a minute there I thought you meant you started the thread whilst you were AT a Josh Widdicome gig and I was nodding along until I realised what you meant 😀

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Just back from the Etihad where my partner had her vaccine. She was only in there about 10 minutes. City were playing whilsy we were there, although never would have known.

Isn’t empty seats in the eitihad a normal thing ? 🙂 congrats on the jab for partner 🙂 

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Yep 3hrs+ a day commuting by car... I'd rather not go back to that if I'm perfectly honest 😞

I can't even conceive of doing long commutes like I used to- I just cannot be arsed at the prospect! I don't even understand how I managed to fit in work plus all the travel time back and forth- time seems to pass so quickly in lockdown!

Edited by Mr.Tease

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Yes Illegal public protests where the police arrested people without due cause. Did you watch any of the footage from the lockdown protests? the police deliberately targetted women to try to get a reaction from the other protesters, they would surround a single women and if she tried to push past they would arrest and claim assault. Maybe you want to live in a police state, i don't.

Police being dick's at protests is nothing new. Protest hasn't been banned. You may not want to live in a police state but you love pretending to be in one when you aren't.

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

There's some marker on his GP file explorer which includes him in the vulnerable or carer groups. There's been a lot of chatter about this sort of thing on a local covid support group:

'...local surgeries are contacting Group 6, Clinically Vulnerable and unpaid carers...

Many are sharing that they've been vaccinated and their age without mentioning, and perhaps not understanding, the reason they are in Group 6. Not everyone realises things like being overweight or bipolar are included in the criteria. This creates a false impression. 

Equally, GP surgeries are only able to use coding on medical records to identify people. They simply haven't got the time for a GP to trawl through the medical records of all their patients. So if you registered as a carer and didn't ask for that code to be removed when you stopped providing that care, the code will still be there, and you'll get invited. The same applies to the medical codes. If you've lost the weight but not been weighed at the surgery, the code will still pick you out.'

That's interesting about the codes still being in your file even when they no longer apply. As far as I'm aware though, even taking that into account, none of that applies to him. Course, I don't know everything about him but he is a "sharer" (over sharer might be more accurate

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That's interesting about the codes still being in your file even when they no longer apply. As far as I'm aware though, even taking that into account, none of that applies to him. Course, I don't know everything about him but he is a "sharer" (over sharer might be more accurate

My partner has never been a carer, is not overweight at all, and has had no other conditions. Surely the GP should tell her why she was selected for a vaccine...it's kind of unnerving, like there's something wrong with her she doesn't know about.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My partner has never been a carer, is not overweight at all, and has had no other conditions. Surely the GP should tell her why she was selected for a vaccine...it's kind of unnerving, like there's something wrong with her she doesn't know about.

We were winding my housemate up with that. "The good news is, you're getting the vaccine, the bad news is you're entitled to the vaccine. About that... "

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Install the NHS app, and set up an account.

Once you've done that, you can see the key facts (allergies, prescriptions, etc) as standard and you can then use it to request access to your full GP record so that you can see everything.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Once you've done that, you can see the key facts (allergies, prescriptions, etc) as standard and you can then use it to request access to your full GP record so that you can see everything.

we've done that...and not seen anything. She had a bunch of blood tests etc a few years ago and all normal. She's Japanese, not sure if that has anything to do with it. My boss also got a call and he wasn't sure why and he asked GP and said it was a clerical error and so he is not going to get it yet now!

10 minutes ago, incident said:

sorry, we haven't done the request full GP record thing...maybe we could have a look at trying that...(or maybe we just won't bother!).

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Yep 3hrs+ a day commuting by car... I'd rather not go back to that if I'm perfectly honest 😞

In hindsight it just seems completely bonkers, especially as you’re in a car, so that’s more or less dead time? Who gains from that 3 hours? Not you, not your employer and not the planet.

The two most recent jobs I had in London, the last wasn’t that bad. I used to drive 20 minutes to a station that had a fast train that took 15 minutes to my destination, the rub being the train was always absolutely rammed so you couldn’t do any work.

The job before, the train took an hour then it was 20+ minutes on the tube. If I wanted a seat on the train so I could work I had to leave my house around 6ish, even though I didn’t in theory start work until 9, but if I left later I couldn’t get a seat, so I couldn’t work.

For so many people commuting is just dead time and wasted money. It doesn’t benefit them or their employer, if someone has a 3 hour commute they could even agree with their employer to work from home but work an extra hour a day and everyone would still be better off.  

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In hindsight it just seems completely bonkers, especially as you’re in a car, so that’s more or less dead time? Who gains from that 3 hours? Not you, not your employer and not the planet.

The two most recent jobs I had in London, the last wasn’t that bad. I used to drive 20 minutes to a station that had a fast train that took 15 minutes to my destination, the rub being the train was always absolutely rammed so you couldn’t do any work.

The job before, the train took an hour then it was 20+ minutes on the tube. If I wanted a seat on the train so I could work I had to leave my house around 6ish, even though I didn’t in theory start work until 9, but if I left later I couldn’t get a seat, so I couldn’t work.

For so many people commuting is just dead time and wasted money. It doesn’t benefit them or their employer, if someone has a 3 hour commute they could even agree with their employer to work from home but work an extra hour a day and everyone would still be better off.  

Why do people work on their way into the office when they aren’t being paid to do so at such a ghastly hour?!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jannybruck said:

This is all well and good, but unfortunately the buck stops with actual companies now, and they've seen how productive and efficient WFH can be. Very few will be going fully back to the office in future and most will be adopting hybrid models, however much the government want people commuting full time again.

Unless there's a disincentive to have people working from home (and I have no doubt the Tories might implement something like this), then business has finally seen how much they can cut down on office costs and not have productivity affected. It'll never go back to how it was.

I suspect the big issue will be contracts. Full time WFH requires a different contract to 'in office'. A hybrid may still trip up with HMRC. That issue is currently being 'ignored' due to the govn WFH directive and (I believe) covered by the Coronovirus Act legislation.

Pre COVID, my contact allows me to WFH 1 day a week with Team Leader approval, mainly due to there not being sufficent desk space in the office but my main place iof work is still the office. When it was explored about some people working from home full time then that requires a new contract. But even this 1 day WFH was an issue as basically everyone took friday to WFH so the desk space issue was is never resolved.

There is also a host of health and safety issues with WFH that are currently being ignored/tolerated due to the pandemic. But your company has a duty to ensure your workplace complies with health and safety..... suitable chair, etc. If people WFH, that workplace is still the companies responsibility. And it will be much easier for many businesses to say 'come back to the office' rather than start unpicking the H&S and contractual issues from WFH.

• Like 1

And there's the issue of pay too. NHS london jobs get a High Cost Area Supplements (HCAS) to cover the cost of living/working in London. If I now WFH away from London as I'm not front line and can do it remotely, they can justifiably say I don't need HCAS. So an effective pay cut.

Similarly lots of jobs offer higher wages than other areas as people have to commute in a long way. If that commute is no longer necessary, I can see companies arguing that they no longer need to pay that rate. 

Edited by Keithy

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why do people work on their way into the office when they aren’t being paid to do so at such a ghastly hour?!

It’s just the nature of some of the jobs I’ve worked in. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve been well paying jobs but at the same time it’s made abundantly clear they’re not really ‘9-5’ jobs and if you treat them as such you won’t be around long. It’s just the the culture a lot of companies create.

I now don’t earn as much but instead of setting my alarm for 5am and sitting on a stinking train for hours, by 9am I’ve had a workout and given my dogs a nice long walk. Obviously Covid has been absolutely horrendous, but at the same time it’s certainly helped me align what’s important in life. 

34 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Pretty much most salaried jobs expect extra work from you, it's a cultural norm that's hard to avoid.... office politics comes into play if you don't (And that includes places that offer well being, early finish Friday's etc.. It never really changes you have to do extra work to be seen to be effective 😞 )

Edited by shoptildrop

47 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I know ..... I basically travelled 76 miles per day, had to get up at 5.30am to even get a chance of getting in at 8.30am (And even then if there was an accident I'd be late)

Anyone who knows the M60 simister island route even at 6.30am in morning will know how hellish it is 😞

Generally got home at 7pm as left a bit later so didn't hit rush hour as much

Thing is my manager was travelling from even further, but she got up at 4.30am and started at 7am. She travelled further but I probably was stuck in a longer commute most times. She did the commute and didn't change anything so basically I have to suck it up too

I literally had no life or downtime in the week tbh

I will add I am currently looking for another job as recently there seems to be a lot of applicable roles being advertised 

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Upvote 1